PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Depp is the new Lone Ranger!

Lone Ranger
09-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Disney made it official today: Johnny Depp will be Tonto in the new Lone Ranger! He is also set to do a fourth Pirates movie as well as play the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. ... More to come!

Bjarne
09-25-2008, 12:34 AM
According to Variety, Depp is not to play the Lone Ranger himself, but rather... Tonto. :eek:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992798.html?categoryid=10&cs=1

I have mixed feelings about this...

CindyR
09-25-2008, 05:02 AM
my feelings aren't mixed.

i love depp when casting makes sense.

probably will not bother watching this movie.
cindy

Lone Ranger
09-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Yes, the information changed after I posted it. He will play Tonto. I like the idea of having him involved, but I think he'd make a better Cavendish than Tonto.

Bjarne
09-25-2008, 05:31 AM
With this kind of casting, I think the LR movie is going to be a comedy.

Ranger01
09-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Guys and Cindy,

Why does Johnny Depp as Tonto not ring true...now I'm more concerned who will play The Lone Ranger...Depp is ideal for Tonto, DE plays Tonto somewhat caustic and somewhat humourous in the comic and I don't hear anyone here complain, Depp can do that as well as any actor and will so look the part and I think will steal the show no matter who plays the Ranger role. My big really big concern...it's a Disney movie,I don't want sugar and spice!

If I 'm wrong about Depp stealing the show I'll put up a prize...the winner gets to spend a week with me, second prize ...two weeks with me!

Peter

Bjarne
09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Why not chose a native american for the role of Tonto?

Anyway, I still have hopes for this movie - as long as it's not a comedy...

Slone
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I think having him play Tonto may be a mistake and invite the same problem that the 1981 movie had when it snubbed Clayton Moore. Snubbing a Native American to play the part may cause a big uproar. Don't get me wrong, I really like Johnny Depp but I think maybe he might make a better Cavendish like someone else suggested. JMTC! :rolleyes:

Lone Ranger
09-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Depp is part Cherokee and Navajo, at least according to his bio on imdb.com.

Ghornet2
09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I hink it would be a mistake. It would be a mistake having the Lone Ranger played by an unknown while Tonto is a 'name' actor. And I think you need the Ranger to be an unknown or lesser kown actor. That was part of the problem i had with the Batman movies. It was who ever as Batman, not just Batman.

Also I think Johnny's performance tends to be a little over the top, not at all right for Tonto.

MadMikeyD
09-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I think Johnny Depp is a capable actor and probably could play either the Ranger or Tonto, he just doesn't fit my image of either. I think I mentioned when talk started of an LR movie by the Pirates crew that I did not want Johnny Depp as the Ranger. I feared we would get Captain Jack Sparrow in a mask. Now I'm fearing we'll get the Lone Ranger & Captain Jack Sparrow. Depp is too ingrained in my conciousness as Jack Sparrow (almost to the point of Adam West/Batman). I'll still wait and see, though.

As for it being a Disney movie, I have no problem there. The Pirates movies are Disney movies and I enjoyed those. They weren't specifically "kiddie" films, as one normally assocciates with Disney, but they were still somewhat "family-friendly." Me, my 14 year old and my 5 year all enjoyed them on own own levels. And the Lone Ranger should be a somewhat "family-friendly" franchise, which the Disney name pretty much assures, and I think the Pirates movies were a good example.

Slone
09-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh man! If this comes off, holy (insert your own dirty word here)!!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=10325

Maybe they should look for Klinton Spilsbury!

On a side note, aren't these guys kinda old to begain playing these parts?

Heck, I'm the same age, part Cherokee, can ride, the only thing they got that I aint got is fame!! :rolleyes: ;)

MadMikeyD
09-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Somebody make the studio watch "Batman & Robin." Clooney can do good stuff (O Brother Where Art Thou?), but after his turn as Batman needs to be barred from masked crime-fighting roles...

Scars1
09-26-2008, 06:17 AM
With Depp's name attached to the movie this film will be huge, if anyone can pull off a good Tonto Depp's the one. Just think, if it's a big hit we (as Lone Ranger fans) can all look forward to at least two-three more films. Good move Disney.

Bradtisme
09-26-2008, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't short-sell Depp on being able to pull off Tonto. I never would have thought that Heath Ledger could have been a good Joker but it happened.

Lone Ranger
09-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Now the rumor is that George Clooney wants to be the Lone Ranger. The only problem is he's too old!!

Slone
09-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Now the rumor is that George Clooney wants to be the Lone Ranger. The only problem is he's too old!!

ONLY problem??? :rolleyes:

Ghornet2
09-27-2008, 07:03 AM
I really think you need an unknown or fairly unknown as the Ranger. That means if you get a name actor as Tonto he can wind up overshadowing the anger.

Now a big name actor as Cavendish would work. I hope they don't do the origin again. A flashback or opening crawl similar to Star Wars would work.

Lone Ranger
09-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I really think you need an unknown or fairly unknown as the Ranger. That means if you get a name actor as Tonto he can wind up overshadowing the anger.

Now a big name actor as Cavendish would work. I hope they don't do the origin again. A flashback or opening crawl similar to Star Wars would work.

According to Terry Rossio, one of the co-writers, it will be the origin story but with a lot of new material thrown in.

Now word is speading (unconfirmed) that Clooney will be the Lone Ranger.

CindyR
10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
george clooney confirmed today that he will NOT be playing the new lone ranger.
cindy

Slone
10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
:eek: :D :D :cool:
Cool!

Bjarne
10-02-2008, 01:05 AM
george clooney confirmed today that he will NOT be playing the new lone ranger.
cindy

Whew! Good news! :D

Lone Ranger
10-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Cindy,
Where did you see/hear that information? I have not found it yet. :confused:

CindyR
10-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Cindy,
Where did you see/hear that information? I have not found it yet. :confused:
radio. quote from his publicist.

tonto
10-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Wow Depp huh, I guess he could pull it off I would've gone with Jay Tavare (he'd make a perfect Spirit but the GI Joe movie looks to stink anyway) but a big name is always a plus. I hope they adapt Matthew's origin arc with Sam Jackson as Black Bart and maybe Ian McShane as Cavendish.