PDA

View Full Version : vampirella # 2 what did you think?

shadowkat
01-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Let me just say that............. this issue was A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT from the last. tons of action as well as insight to the character. perfect balance. my only problem was the art, it was quite sloppy this issue and hard to see what exactly was happening in certain panels. at one point it looked like a character who was suppose to be walking was flying....but other than that great issue.:D

Comic2read
01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
The "corrupt" costumed Vampirella was more interesting than the street clothes Vampirella. I assume she's been split in two.

Thunder
01-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Warning Spoilers AHEAD.

If you haven’t read the book yet, STOP READING THIS POST NOW.

The action in issue 2 has picked up, and I liked the artwork well enough (it’s dark and moody – a good tone for this character). The storytelling is definitely a bit more fast-paced than in issue one. Good. I am anxious to see issue three. There are some elements of the artwork and story-telling that leave me with a lot of questions (concerns):

1) In the “vision” when Vampirella confronts her “other self” – she says, “is this how humans see me?” – Is this an indication that the Vampirella costume is somehow a figment of human’s imagination(s)? Where is this going? It was nice to see the semi-traditional costume, even if it was on the evil vision Vampirella.

2) As with issue one, Vampirella makes mention of Adam being dead. It makes me wonder now, where Dynamite is picking up the Vampirella continuity. Obviously, Adam’s death at the end of the “Vengeance of Vampirella” run is acknowledged – but not his return to earth in the last bit of the Harris run. I’m wondering what parts of the Harris run are going to be ignored in the already established universe (. . .which is not to say that Harris was pure with continuity, Harris repeatedly violated continuity – for that matter, Warren made some continuity errors in their day too).

3) Speaking of continuity, “vision Vampirella” says that Vampirella could have saved Adam, made him “one of us” – “immortal.” So this is one of those stalwart things from the Warren era that was well established, Vampirella’s bite DOES NOT infect. Harris violated this a couple times – most notably in the Shadowhawk crossover. And once early in the Millar run (then as I recall it was not to change a human to a vampire, but to gain control over a vampire “putting the bite on him”). Will we be seeing a redefining of her powers and limitations?

4) As Vampirella gets angrier in this issue, her fangs appear to grow – is this artistic license, or another redefining of powers and abilities? – the fangs appear almost “snake like” in some panels – rather than canine-like vampire teeth we are used to.

5) The Pendent around her neck still bothers me. Now that we’ve seen it used as a weapon – and a lethal one at that, it makes more sense. . . still,it seems a bit clunky and “in the way” most of the time.

Overall, I liked issue #2 – I’m definitely interested in what’s to come. I’ll be looking forward to issue #3.

shadowkat
01-07-2011, 11:19 PM
interested observations. i too, was confused about the whole adam still being dead thing. i mean are we to assume that he ended up murderd ONCE again? and as for that pendant even though its a weapon is truly is heavily distracting and hideous. hopefully the artist makes a more smaller cuter version and gives her a more sexier outfit if shes not gonna be wearing her famous costume.

boomvavavoom
01-09-2011, 02:54 AM
3) Speaking of continuity, “vision Vampirella” says that Vampirella could have saved Adam, made him “one of us” – “immortal.” So this is one of those stalwart things from the Warren era that was well established, Vampirella’s bite DOES NOT infect. indeed!!

Other then that I was pleasantly surprised. We have "the" suit, we have "the" green eyes and we have a very interesting development in that Rella is not at all oblivious about her past, her skills and her experience (both in life and in battle). Now this is going places!!!

PS I went with the Joe Jusko cover this time. So hard to pick this time again! That Paul Renaud and Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic and Lucio Parrillo were all sooo mesmerizing as well !!!!

Thunder
01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Just reread the issue . . . Vampirella says, "I'm not who you think I am" to Vision Vampirella - - - hmmmmmmm, just an expression, or a hint at things to come?

Lion_O
01-13-2011, 02:50 AM
I went by my local comic shop today and picked up #2 today, but when i started to glance thru the artwork i noticed it very different from #1 and the characters didn't match. The title on the cover says Vampirella the second coming #2 of 4. Also it says Harris Comics. When i picked it up i thought it was just a varient cover. Is Vampirella printed by another company other then dynamite?:confused:

eric_trautmann
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I went by my local comic shop today and picked up #2 today, but when i started to glance thru the artwork i noticed it very different from #1 and the characters didn't match. The title on the cover says Vampirella the second coming #2 of 4. Also it says Harris Comics. When i picked it up i thought it was just a varient cover. Is Vampirella printed by another company other then dynamite?:confused:

That's an old issue, released back in '09, I think.

Here's a link to a writeup for issue 2, which also includes the variant cover art, so you'll be able to more easily identify the book for your retailer.

http://www.erictrautmann.us/comics/dynamite-entertainment/vampirella/

Best,

-E

eric_trautmann
01-13-2011, 03:54 PM

(If your retailer can't or won't exchange that book for you, contact me via DM and I'll make sure we get you taken care of.)

Best,

-E

KillerKnight
01-13-2011, 04:41 PM
That has to be a total error on the part of the vendor. You could always start collecting the back issues starting with that one. lol . The vendor ought to let you keep that issue and GIVE you the new one. By the time you spend 5 bucks on fuel and another 5 bucks on wear tear , maintenance and depreciation of your vehicle and an hour of your valuable time of $30.00 an hour. He should be catering to you big time just as a customer service. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Talk to the manager, Let him know that you understand that it was a mistake but you are not happy.

Lion_O
01-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Hey Eric, thanks for the link it will come in helpful down the line if you guys continue to do multiple covers I'll be sure to check there first. Also thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it.

KillerKnight, that's true they really shouldn't put comics that old behind this new. Their cool guys tho there at the shop and more then half the time i like to buy comics from them cause of the art. Also the shop is on my way home from work I just got to go in there and go on my rant again about what they're doing to Batman series.

The cool thing is i was also able to find part one of the other vampirella book so i picked that up to and now i have more goodness to read.

I finished going thru issue 2 and i have to say I really enjoyed it. The artwork is starting to clear up and the story is enjoyable. I see there's a thread in the forums about her costume so all i'll say is i like og one in the dream she had. Like many iconic characters it really holds up. I'm looking forward to getting Issue 3.

Thanks guys.:D

KillerKnight
01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm glad you finally got your book, that's the main thing. I used to pass by two different shops myself till my company folded. Now I have a 15 minute drive to the closest shop. Fortunately there about 20 shops within an hours drive.
Lothar

Chiclo
01-14-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm glad you finally got your book, that's the main thing. I used to pass by two different shops myself till my company folded. Now I have a 15 minute drive to the closest shop. Fortunately there about 20 shops within an hours drive.
Lothar

There is one shop within 100 miles of here and only two within 250 miles.

Luckily the close one is only about 50 miles away.

electron
01-15-2011, 03:20 AM
I wasn't able to pick up my issue #2 until now! when i was at the shop last week the dealer sais lots of stuff didn't come in due to snow and all. I only got my warlord Of Mars... but on the other hand it will be 2 volumes at once when i chack back the next time!

From what i read, I am absolutely looking forward, it seems to deveolp good. i did not read all the spoilers though.

KillerKnight
01-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Wow!!!! That's far, I feel lucky now. I wonder what the most a fan has to has to drive to get their comics? So far 50 is the most I know of.
Lothar

boomvavavoom
01-19-2011, 03:23 AM
70 kilometers here to my closest shop with imported comics.
200 to my own comicdealer :)

shokoshu
02-01-2011, 05:43 AM
And here are the results of the German jury.
Better than #1 (I grant the Dynadudes the right to get
their exposition through before the real action starts)
but still inferior to any idea *I* could come up
with in a minute :p

The Vision Vampi thing, BTW, was done already by Warren
(#84 or #88 probably, I have to look it up)...and better.

The snakes...what a wasted opportunity for hot
tenticoo fanservice :rolleyes:

Resume: At least you are going into the right direction.
Are you *sure* you don't want to hire me as writer? :D