PDA

View Full Version : Vampirella #4 - possible spoilers

Captain Craig
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
In between watching some March Madness I got around to reading some this weekend.

Question - Is Vampirella having a bipolar moment? What was this "vision" of her talking to her traditional "Harris comics" version of her character? Did she kill a doppelganger at some point or does she have a split personality now or ever, like Moon Knight?

I thought the look for Dracula looked very classic and Victorian, nice touch. Be curious to see how next issue goes after his proposal to Vampy.

eric_trautmann
03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
In between watching some March Madness I got around to reading some this weekend.

Question - Is Vampirella having a bipolar moment? What was this "vision" of her talking to her traditional "Harris comics" version of her character? Did she kill a doppelganger at some point or does she have a split personality now or ever, like Moon Knight?

I thought the look for Dracula looked very classic and Victorian, nice touch. Be curious to see how next issue goes after his proposal to Vampy.

It is, in many ways, a manifestation -- after her exposure to Le Fanu's "Key" -- of the tension between the various incarnations of Vampirella, yes. I wouldn't classify it a "split personality," but she is, in the context of this story, trying to put a more innocent past behind her to face a darker, nastier world.

How successful she is will be seen by the end of the arc, of course. :)

Best,

-E

shadowkat
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
read the issue in a comic book shop. slightly better then last but still not impressive. cliffhanger was pretty weak too. this vampirella is definitely missing something. where are her unique abilities? why is she fighting with some ugly pendant?why is dracula able to toss her around like a baby vampire?why has she chosen to take this green haired lesbian under her wing? in the old comics vampirella took in a human girl named dixie and i think her reasoning then was a lot more justified then in this series. the girl had lost her home and family due to vampis failure at killing the vampires in time.so vampi felt compelled to help and trained her. This girl on the other hand just seems to be down to kill vampires for no apparent reason. either that or shes on heavy drugs and thinks shes playing a video game. considering most of vampirellas human partners seem to end up killed you'd think she would be a tad bit more reluctant taking under a new human protege. Even if this is a complete revamp i would think any vampire hunter would be reluctant in taking any human partners along for the ride with zero combat skills.

electron
04-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I have just read my example and it is beginning to take shape. I begin seeing some directions. i wonder why such a legthy introduction was considered necessary to Vampirella and I am curious how long this shaping is going to continue.

There was some very nice artwork involved and I think this volume is my favorite so far.
But man, do i miss the costume! I can't stress it enough.

shokoshu
04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
More lenghty than the tool of Long Dong Silver, I say :D

The idea with the split Vampi isn't new, either -
Warren has done it before. Better.
The whole setup is still boring. I fear the writer couldn't
grasp the concept of "conflict" even if it gets engraved on
a stake and rammed into various body parts. :P
Of course Dynamite couldn't care as less as Harris -
old time Vampirella fans like me buy for the sake
of the old times. I know I'm not the target group.

But in feetals gizzards name, get to the point!

shadowkat
04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
LMAO couldn't agree more.

Red Bryan
04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Finally I had time to read the four issues and I am not overly pleased. The art is very good, but the story can't find me interested. Don't know why. There is no real Vampirella-feeling yet. No costume, so like I said before it is just another one of this dark haired women who hunts bad people. There are hundreds of them out there.

So, what is Vampirella for me? I think it is this trashy kicking against good taste, what made Vampirella famous in the first place. There was always the sensation of dark, gory stories, mixed with a girl who was overly satisfying voyeuristic pleasures, that caught the attention. Total anarchy of good taste, but always with the know-how. And there was no doubt about it, that the artists knew perfectly well that it is that way. And artists and readers smiled about it in together-ness, know what I mean?

There is a series nowadays that has this feeling in it and that is Empowered.

So what? Eric, I know you are very, very full of engagement about your work with Dynamite these days. But I think you are taking it a lot too serious. You want to show the readers that Vampi, and Red Sonja too, are more than girls with big breasts and very few clothing. And they are, I can give you that. But the fun in reading their books was always that they are indeed presented exactly in this way, big and few, but their stories have been full of fantasy and sense of wonder at the same time. I am sorry to say that but Vampirella and Red Sonja have too few of the sexual excitement and the sense of wonder both at the moment. They only are screaming out loud: "Hey, this is a piece of art." But both heroines are forbidden to do that without losing their touch. The have to look like trash and have to be art while looking that way.

Red Sonja is quite good nonetheless because you find the tone of the Roy Thomas era, perhaps with stories a little bit too complicated in the way of thelling them, but Vampirella is not Vampirella in this new issues. It is a dark-haired woman who hunts bad people and there are hundreds of that kind in comics out there. Vampirella is not born again yet.

Thunder
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
I think the pacing could have been speeded up. Iím not unhappy with the story thus far, still interested in where itís going. I just would have liked to be ďhereĒ at issue 2 rather than at issue 4.

electron
04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
...but Vampirella is not Vampirella in this new issues. It is a dark-haired woman who hunts bad people and there are hundreds of that kind in comics out there. Vampirella is not born again yet.

actually I think this is exactly the point that was intended. You couldn't be right more perhaps.
There is something "in the air" that a merge and a "Vampirella resurection" is still upcoming.

Costume (with white colar) and all.... I can't say it often enough like that roman senator who was pushing the issue with Karthago back in the days.

comixfan1980
04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
I actually just got around to re-reading issue #4 and the art just keeps getting better and better, the story was pretty solid too and for the first time in this characters history I am interested and looking forward to the following issues as well as mini that's on it's way.

shadowkat
04-23-2011, 10:59 AM
lol o plz. you have to say that you work for dynamite.:D

Captain Craig
04-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I think the pacing could have been speeded up. Iím not unhappy with the story thus far, still interested in where itís going. I just would have liked to be ďhereĒ at issue 2 rather than at issue 4.
I was talking Vampy on another board and he dropped after #3, asking me if it got better.

Not bringing any baggage to the table as a longtime Vampy fan I told him I wasn't the best one to ask. Only that I found it an entertaining read and that it seems some type of foundation has been laid to which the DE team is now going to start incorporating more 'traditional' Vampy lore. To check back in an issue or two.

At least that's the vibe I've gotten. Did I interpret that wrong?

shokoshu
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
OK, I think I owe you an example where the writer could have done
better, so you can't accuse me for bitching just for the lulz :rolleyes:

Conflict isn't "Evil exists, Good clobbers evil, Good is happy".
So Drac has a plan, and desperately wants Vampi not to
screw it because it's in her own interest. Fine. That would
have potential for conflict: Should she trust the baddy?

Only, the writer botched it by not giving the slightest hint
to Vampi and/or the reader what's going on. So, why should
she and/or the reader believe Drac for a second?
Of course not everything can't be given away, that would
spoil the fun either, but we know *nothing*.

(Yup, the art of hinting is exactly that, an art. I know a crime
novel where the writer gave away the name
of the killer on the first page in broad daylight and still when
the solution came, it was facepalm time. How could I been
so blind! Such is the epic hint.)

Dynamite! If you have no Gaiman, no Whedon, no Straczynski
and no Millar, you should not, I repeat NOT!! drag on a plot
over umpty issues. Self-contained one issue stories would be
much more convincing. I have no bloody idea why every new
writer wants to restart Vampirella, but the result is always
what we see now: confusion. Ever had the thought that the secret
of Vampirella lies in her continuity? (OK, that was half sarcastic.
But only half.)

<end of rant>