PDA

View Full Version : Vampirella #10

rlvaugh
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
The Good:

- Really impactful Neves cover art

- Good interior art (what a waste Vampi was out of costume).

- Vampi wasn't gratuitously or savagely beaten to a pulp.

- Writing wasn't as trite and cliched as issue 9, I was able to get through it with a mild sensation of enjoyment.

The Bad:

- Could have used a clever tactic or trick to defeat the demons; having Sofia place salt around the house was stale; better to have made salt "obstacles" about the rooms that would have thrown-off the demon's synchronized attacks.

- Vampi stating she doesn't care about her past/origin anymore. Dynamite's really punting the ball on this one. I suppose this means we're stuck with this "Characterless Character" for the long haul.

shokoshu
10-15-2011, 06:41 AM
The Bad:

- Vampi stating she doesn't care about her past/origin anymore. Dynamite's really punting the ball on this one. I suppose this means we're stuck with this "Characterless Character" for the long haul.

Objection, your honor! I file this under "good": no more whining, no more
reader fishing with unresolved promises. A Vampirella who doesn't care
anymore what she "is" (retcon pend.) sounds like *my* Vampirella.
High time she takes her life in her own hands again.

The Bad: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DefeatingTheUndefeatable
If I can simply link my resents to TVTropes it's always a bad sign. :D
Some issues before: Oh Yeah! They are master fighters. They might
wipe the floor with Vampi! And now: Oh no. They are not THAT great.
Can't say I'm surprised.

rlvaugh
10-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm not worried about Vampi taking ownership for her life, I'm worried about the writers taking ownership. They have no framework for who Vampi is. All they can do is have her fight things. Harris...I mean, Dynamite, has given us a Scarlet Legion Vampi that seems to live in the Warren era, and a main title Vampi that seems to be an extension of the Harris Vampi (who, by the way, died never to come back at the end of the Harris run). We're never going to get the kind of characterization and depth we had in the Warren years (and earliest Harris years) if Dynamite basically decides, "we don't know who she is. Screw it!"

Thunder
10-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Re: Vampirella stating she doesn't care about her past/origin anymore . . .

There are two ways to read this:

1) It’s not true. Vampi really DOES care, but she’s saying this either as denial or because to admit the she still cares is a sign of weakness.

2) As you write, Dynamite is punting the ball. They don’t know what do with the mess Harris made of Vampi’s new origin story, and so they are throwing up their hands.

I’d be happy with the former, if I felt Dynamite had a clear vision for Vampi. I don’t think they do –beyond selling variant covers to diehard fans who will buy multiple T&A covers no matter what schlock (Vampirella and the Scarlet Legion) is inside.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the latter is true . . . by making Vampi not care, then they can (as you say) punt and don’t have to deal with it.

Thunder
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Issue Ten: The three issue story arc was a bit tighter than the “worm” story that ran from 1 through 6. But pacing continues to be a problem with this title. The 6-issue worm storyline could have been told in 3 issues. And this time out with the “crows” could have been tightened down from 3 to (at most) 2 issues. If a story line is going to take 3 issues, I want more back-story, sub-plots, character development, additional characters . . . for an “action” comic, things are moving very slowly.

Okay . . . so maybe we’re done with Vampirella’s origin for a while. . . fine, but what makes her tick, what’s going on in her head? . . . there’s still been no real character development.

Vampi with a gun? No. No. No. hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Vampi shouldn’t use guns . . .why would she be carrying one anyway? She fights vampires and demons. Keep the gun violence out of this title . . . Vampi could have smashed the masks with a wooden stake, her fist, anything else . . . Let’s keep stick to good-old ripping out necks with teeth, and limbs off with bare hands . . .

Thunder
10-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Issue Ten: The three issue story arc was a bit tighter than the “worm” story that ran from 1 through 6. But pacing continues to be a problem with this title. The 6-issue worm storyline could have been told in 3 issues. And this time out with the “crows” could have been tightened down from 3 to (at most) 2 issues. If a story line is going to take 3 issues, I want more back-story, sub-plots, character development, additional characters . . . for an “action” comic, things are moving very slowly.

Okay . . . so maybe we’re done with Vampirella’s origin for a while. . . fine, but what makes her tick, what’s going on in her head? . . . there’s still been no real character development.

Vampi with a gun? No. No. No. hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Vampi shouldn’t use guns . . .why would she be carrying one anyway? She fights vampires and demons. Keep the gun violence out of this title . . . Vampi could have smashed the masks with a wooden stake, her fist, anything else . . . Let’s keep stick to good-old ripping out necks with teeth, and limbs off with bare hands . . .

Vampirella
10-20-2011, 08:54 AM
I've been reading along here for a while now and I had my breath saved for issue #10... a good point to make first review of what I got so far.

Haven't got it in my hands yet unfortunately (logistics around here sucks in a way...) but I think I will have something to write about.

there are already two thing:
- Guns. A no-go or last resort, only against humans though. Never evereverever against a supernatural thing. a blade is the best and only answer to that.

- The "past", the "origin". I don't care so much. I also don't feel the need to warm it up or rewrite it here. Fill the comic with new amazing adventures instead!

more comment on this matter to come after I have #10.

shokoshu
10-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Vampi with a gun? No. No. No. hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Vampi shouldn’t use guns . . .why would she be carrying one anyway? She fights vampires and demons. Keep the gun violence out of this title . . .

<mode=prejudice> It's an U.S. of A. title, and there guns make a girl sexier.
Thus guns. If Vampi were a German title, she'll get a car :D
I'm against guns too, but Vampi usually uses what is working.
(Well, I didn't object when Buffy used a grenade launcher, either...)