PDA

View Full Version : Vampirella #12

rlvaugh
12-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Great Alex Ross cover art, only downside is it makes me miss the costume in the interior even more.
In the interior, good to see Vampi in classic bangs and earrings, now if we could just have the restů

The story was about as good as you can get with this incarnation. It's good to see Vampi travelling to exotic locales & facing culturally unique adversaries - I've been advocating this for many years. The plane scene would have been lame but for the message scrawled in the cockpit which made it intriguing. The ending was dramatic and, best of all, she won't be fighting vampires!

I was pleasantly surprised overall, given my initial disappointment flipping through the issue. Still, it's painful to think how much better this would have been if Vampi had been in costume, and some concession to the cold would have been more than acceptable. Imagine her in a Russian fur coat made of white ermine pelts, with a flash of leg & boot now and then!

shokoshu
12-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I was pleasantly surprised overall, given my initial disappointment flipping through the issue. Still, it's painful to think how much better this would have been if Vampi had been in costume, and some concession to the cold would have been more than acceptable. Imagine her in a Russian fur coat made of white ermine pelts, with a flash of leg & boot now and then!

Cold? Vampirella cares about cold as much as I do :cool: (Proof: any old Warren fan
should remember Gonzalez drawing her skiing in her costume. No issue sauce offhand.)

rlvaugh
12-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Cold? Vampirella cares about cold as much as I do :cool: (Proof: any old Warren fan
should remember Gonzalez drawing her skiing in her costume. No issue sauce offhand.)

I hadn't forgotten about that, in fact, she said, to paraphrase, "if my people weren't comfortable in any climate, fashions wouldn't have evolved in the way they did." After which Adam admonished her for partly revealing her secret.

But this is the Dynamite Vampirella, so I'm playing along. I've pretty much given up hope for any return to the real Vampirella. Ironic how long the true Warren fans had to wait for Harris to throw in the towel, only to get something even worse (now there's a business model for you).

Dammit! I was trying to be nice, and you've baited me. So I'll stop now. It's Christmas already!

shokoshu
12-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Xmas. Good point. :)
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=707873&gsub=102362

shokoshu
01-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Now it's way past Christmas, and I say, I kinda liked the story. :p
The hands "decoration" was a nice touch (pun unintended).
Nice bitchin' going on, too.

Only weakness I see is the usual rap-em zap-em trope: why does
Greg not attack on the spot? OK, overinflated ego is an usual
failure of hellspawn. Will they ever learn? Probably not.
(I dimly remember some Harris story where demon mothers scare
their naughty children by mentioning Vampirella. Now THAT idea owned.)

Minor quibble: Herr Schuld. Could you please stop these silly talking,
mostly German, names? (Herr Scheisskopf was only fun because it was a
Russ Meyer hommage; von Kreist sucked even more but that was a
glorious villain and it didn't matter.)

eric_trautmann
01-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Now it's way past Christmas, and I say, I kinda liked the story. :p
The hands "decoration" was a nice touch (pun unintended).
Nice bitchin' going on, too.

Only weakness I see is the usual rap-em zap-em trope: why does
Greg not attack on the spot? OK, overinflated ego is an usual
failure of hellspawn. Will they ever learn? Probably not.
(I dimly remember some Harris story where demon mothers scare
their naughty children by mentioning Vampirella. Now THAT idea owned.)

Minor quibble: Herr Schuld. Could you please stop these silly talking,
mostly German, names? (Herr Scheisskopf was only fun because it was a
Russ Meyer hommage; von Kreist sucked even more but that was a
glorious villain and it didn't matter.)

The name Schuld was chosen for a specific reason, due to the word's specific meaning.

It's not random.

-E

shokoshu
01-14-2012, 02:28 PM
The name Schuld was chosen for a specific reason, due to the word's specific meaning.

It's not random.

-E

Never claimed otherwise, in fact guessed so :) (Surely this will be relevant later on.)

But still - would this happen in real life? The inventor of the "dead man" safety button
being named Totmann? The "inventor" of the black hole named Schwarzschild?
The exponents of lust/archetypus/power in psychoanalysis named Freud, Jung, Adler?
That would be really silly, right? :o
(Ha. Given that literature is full of examples - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptronym -
I hereby shamefully retract my quibble. But next time, try that stunt in Japane...
oh. You did. :cool: )

eric_trautmann
01-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Never claimed otherwise, in fact guessed so :) (Surely this will be relevant later on.)

But still - would this happen in real life? The inventor of the "dead man" safety button
being named Totmann? The "inventor" of the black hole named Schwarzschild?
The exponents of lust/archetypus/power in psychoanalysis named Freud, Jung, Adler?
That would be really silly, right? :o
(Ha. Given that literature is full of examples - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptronym -
I hereby shamefully retract my quibble. But next time, try that stunt in Japane...
oh. You did. :cool: )

Depends. If the inventor of the "dead man" safety button felt the need to adopt the pseudonym for a personal reason, he may very well have.

Schuld has his reasons for choosing the name "Schuld."

And yeah, the reason why will become clear very shortly.

-E