Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2960

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2960

The origin of Tornado?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The origin of Tornado?

Default The origin of Tornado?

According to Allende; Tornado was a colt befriended by the young Bernardo while on a vision quest with Diego. Bernardo feeds and protects the small horse, only to find it is really the horse who is guiding him. And he understands as his initiation to survive he must adopt the horse's great virtues: loyalty, strength, and endurance (much like Diego finds he must adopt the virtues of the fox.)
    After he’s trained him Bernardo will one day present Tornado as a gift to Diego, or more so to Zorro to help in their mutual cause.

The other more recent origin was from the Telenovela, more of a mythological telling as told by Padre Tomas adding to the mystique that is Zorro. I forget who he was telling it to, maybe a little boy.
    I’m going by memory here, so if anyone wants to elaborate.

The legend goes that Tornado was part of a wild herd of mythical horses that once freely roamed the plains. They were one day swept up to the heavens in a whirlwind by the ancient spirits wanting to take the last of the marvelous creatures with them.
    Either the spirits returned Tornado as a gift to the Earth. Or of his entire herd, only he escaped by shear strength of spirit, outrunning the fantastic whirlwind and thus reverting to flesh and bone.
    Now he constantly runs like the wind, hoping to one day catch up to his lost brothers.

As fantastic as it sounds, with the “legend” you can believe they witnessed the horse outrunning a tornado which must have been a fantastic site to behold. Of his entire herd only he survived, thus the "legend" is born. I kind of like that.
    But the way Padre' Tomas told it was pretty neat, I got goosebumps.

I don’t know what if any other origins were given for Tornado? Did Disney ever create one? I’m pretty sure McCulley did not, at least not in the original novel, did the horse even have a name?

Which do you prefer?
    Last edited by Guicho; 07-20-2007 at 09:45 PM.
    Ja think I'm a cowboy?

the vision quest version
    BLOOD ,VALOR , AND VICTORY
    the war cry of joxer the mighty

Quote Originally Posted by magnus robot fighter
    the vision quest version
    Yeah I liked the vision quest too, but for the fox which made sense as Diego’s spirit guide.
    But then to repeat it again with Diego's horse for Bernardo seemes a little forced.
    I thought why couldn’t Bernardo have kept his own horse, it was his totem.
    Tornado should be a horse more personally linked to Diego/Tisha directly. Like the one in the legend, which he’d have to learn to capture and tame himself, while Bernardo looked on in laughter as he atempted the impossible.

Do you know if Topps Comics ever gave an origin for Tornado?
    Last edited by Guicho; 07-21-2007 at 07:12 AM.
    Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Although I love the romanticism of these origins... I don't really care for either.

Only one horse surviving in a herd is really freakin depressing, and I'm sick of that kind of crap.

Allende's can't really be true because Horses don't live very long, ya know. And if it was a vision quest, that horse would have Arthritis, back problems, and not be the fantastic horse of speed that he should be by the time Zorro befriends him.

I'd rather they don't really deal with the origin if they have to pick one or the other. Isn't it enough that Zorro has this amazing horse (friend)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Allende's can't really be true because Horses don't live very long, ya know. And if it was a vision quest, that horse would have Arthritis, back problems, and not be the fantastic horse of speed that he should be by the time Zorro befriends him.
    [lol]
    I don’t know how long a horse lives, but it was described as a foal when Bernardo found it (or it found him.) And they were about thirteen or fourteen. When they returned from Spain they were probably in their early twenties. So that’s six or seven years. Is that too long for a horse? I have no idea, poor Tornado.

Only one horse surviving in a herd is really freakin depressing, and I'm sick of that kind of crap.
    [lol]
    Damn! did somebody kill your herd of horses or something?
    Did you not here the end, “he runs like the wind to catch up to his lost brothers.” How inspired is that!
    I have to admit I embellished a bit, I need to find the exact episode on youtube and try and translate directly. But yeah it was intentionally presented to be some kind of a romantic legend adding to the mystique that is Zorro.
    The implication was it was what the people were telling about the mythic horse and rider who came and went like the wind.
    If it was meant to be believed or not was not said.
    In that context I like that it exists as a “legend” the people tell.

I guess Tornado does not really need an origin, but there are some out there.
    I still don’t know or remember if Disney (who I believe first named the horse) Filmation, Topps, or Marvel Comics for that matter or Don McGregor ever gave him one.
    I’m just curious to know what they all are?
    Last edited by Guicho; 07-22-2007 at 01:12 PM.
    Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Don McGregor basically continued off of Alex Toth's run. So if there is an origin for Don's Zorro it must've come from Toth or Disney.

I don't remember reading an origin in the McGregor books I have - or the Toth book. But, then again, 1 full year of the Zorro Dailies was never reprinted and I don't think the Toth collection is complete.

Yeah horses don't live very long. At 26 you're probably digging a grave for the horse.

Tornado's speed suggests that he's between 2-6 years old. That's really the fastest racing years for a Horse. Since Tornado is considered a "well trained" horse, I'd imagine he would be between 4-8 years old. You need to spend a few years to really train a horse.

No I never had a herd of horses, just one horse my dad/grandpa saved from an abusing owner.

His name was Blue. He was a spitfire, and one time, almost tried to kill dad. That was very scary for me because I was riding him at the time. But it wasn't Blue's fault. He had some very awful memories. I believe he was a wild horse at heart - but he wasn't stupid. He was a pretty smart horse.

He lived a long time ^_^

In either case, I do not like stories where horses get killed. -_-
    Last edited by Kevin; 07-24-2007 at 02:36 AM.
    Check out my bookshelf!

http://www.goodreads.com - Read a book and share with friends

So how old is a foal, under a year? It sounds like Allenda has Tornado fully trained and in Zorro’s hands just about at 6 –7 years old, about the right age?

Sorry about Blue, I meant nothing by it in my comment above. Nobody wants to see any animals needlessly hurt.

I think in a lot of adventure fiction, or if you go even further back into mythology the tragic hero or even the tragic noble animal companion whose suffered a tremendous loss, but still rides it out to the end, makes for some of the more compelling heroes, and yes that includes horses.
    It can all be very cliched, or over romanticized you’re right, I guess it really depends how it’s handled.

The Telenovela pretty much threw every cliche imaginable in the book at you (non-stop.) That seems to be how they do them over there. The writers hold absolutely nothing back, but neither do the actors.
    You have to give them that, they own their parts no matter how out-there it gets. Sometimes it’s to some hysterical sidesplitting effect. Enough times they’ll hit that one note that surprisingly chokes you up and has you rooting for the hero, (or even the hero's horse.)
    For all it’s over the top melodrama when Padre Tomas delivers the "legend" of Tornado, (for me anyway) it hit that note.

Quickly scanning through the on-line Disney episode guides it does not appear Disney ever did a Tornado specific origin.
    I did not know McGregor had picked up the Disney/Toth continuity in the Dailies, (there is so much time between them) I assumed he had started over, that’s great!
    Some beautiful work by him and Yeates.
    Last edited by Guicho; 07-25-2007 at 12:07 AM.
    Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Quote Originally Posted by Guicho
    So how old is a foal, under a year? It sounds like Allenda has Tornado fully trained and in Zorro’s hands just about at 6 –7 years old, about the right age?
    Well, I think if I remember what they say whenever I watch the Kentucky Derby, they tend to bring race horses in at around 2. Either that or that is the earliest age...

Tornado probably should be between 6-7 years old. I mean, he's got some hefty training, and he's still a spitfire.

Sorry about Blue, I meant nothing by it in my comment above. Nobody wants to see any animals needlessly hurt.
    you didn't make me upset ^_^

Yes... abusing animals is very cowardly as far as I'm concerned.

I think in a lot of adventure fiction, or if you go even further back into mythology the tragic hero or even the tragic noble animal companion whose suffered a tremendous loss, but still sticks it out and rides on till the end, makes for some of the more compelling heroes, and yes that includes horses.
    It can all be very cliched, or over romanticized you’re right, I guess it really depends how it’s handled.

The Telenovela pretty much threw every cliche imaginable in the book at you (non-stop.) That seems to be how they do them over there. The writers hold absolutely nothing back, but neither do the actors.
    You have to give them that, they own there parts no matter how out-there it gets. Sometimes it’s to hysterical sidesplitting effect. Enough times they’ll hit that one note that surprisingly chokes you up and has you rooting for the hero, (or their horse.)
    For all it’s over the top melodrama when Padre Tomas delivers the legend of Tornado, (for me anyway) it hit that note.
    lol yeah even though I couldn't understand the words, it seemed like a ridiculously fun show.

Kinda like Hercules and the Legendary Journeys.

Quickly scanning through the on-line Disney episode guides it does not appear they ever did a Tornado specific origin.
    I did not know McGregor had picked up the Disney/Toth continuity, that’s great. I assumed he had started over. Some beautiful work by him and Yeates.
    Edit: yeah that's a damn cool Zorro scene ;D

McGregor LOVES Zorro. And he was really into Alex Toth. I still have his email addy but only ever emailed him twice. He has a website he operates, and almost always responds to fans.

While I don't believe it was ever "officially" announce that it was a continuation of Alex Toth's story line, he never "re-wrote" anything that Alex wrote. He kept the same art for the characters, he kept the same characters. The only reoccurring character he added was a barmaid.

Maybe Papercutz did officially announce it was a continuation. I dunno. But in either case, you can pick up Toth's collection, and the zorro dailies and there's like absolutely no break inbetween them. It's smooth as butter. McGregor did that on purpose which I thought was great.

I sincerely hope that Dynamite retains the aspects of Zorro that made him popular. There doesn't need to be a sergeant garcia (he was a disney creation I believe?), but I'm talking about the real-life seriousness of disease, injury and death.

Zorro wasn't an X-Man, and I do not want to see that happen.
    Check out my bookshelf!

While I don't believe it was ever "officially" announce that it was a continuation of Alex Toth's story line, he never "re-wrote" anything that Alex wrote. He kept the same art for the characters, he kept the same characters. The only reoccurring character he added was a barmaid.
    That’s probably her strapped to him and Tornado’s back!

You can’t tell me this extraordinary horse does not deserve an equally extraordinary origin.
    Last edited by Guicho; 07-25-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Quote Originally Posted by Guicho
    That’s probably her strapped to him and Tornado’s back!

You can’t tell me this extraordinary horse does not deserve an equally extraordinary origin.
    That might be her, I think it is. It's been a month since I read the dailies collection so I don't remember that offhand. Either that or that was in the second year (which was never printed)

Oh, hell yea, the Horse needs an extraordinary origin, alright! Something to rival Pecos Bill's Widowmaker!

but he needs to be a young strong horse. And I don't think that killing off his herd is a good origin for him.

If he stopped his herd from dying and was a wild, untamed spirit who came to those in care of the de le Vega hacienda, that'd be cooler.

But, it'd be so klunky fitting Tornado into the storyline. The storyline has always been that Don Diego comes back from spain, thinks that people are lying about the Alcade -- as he believes his father is the Alcade -- then he takes up the mask to fight tyrrany, and all of a sudden there's Tornado - a pitch black steed never seen before!

Try fitting Tornado's extraordinary origin inbetween the fluidic action of the appearance of el Zorro, and it will slow the story down.

I'd love to see a Tornado mini-series though.

I've always pretended that Tornado was a protective horse, probably seen as a guardian of the Indians. The Indians never fear Tornado, but the Spainards do.

However, even with that origin he couldn't have come across the Spainards before becoming a mount for Zorro, because the first time the Alcade and his troops ever see Tornado is when Zorro is riding him.

A mini would be better suited for describing Tornado's origin, that way you won't have to deal with the spanish troops. It'd be a self contained story. Done narrative style. That way you don't have a "talking" horse, but you have a cohesive journey as to how the Horse became a symbol of power for the oppressed, and why he chose to let el Zorro mount him (cause as we all know, Tornado is a picky horse, nobody else outside of Bernardo and Don Diego can touch him).
    Check out my bookshelf!