Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear Dynamite: Please hire these people

Default Dear Dynamite: Please hire these people

I saw this post on Jerry Ordway's blog the other day, with comments by quite a few classic comics creators, and I was thinking that it would be great for them to come on board at Dynamite. I'd thought they'd perhaps just retired--I had no idea they were just not getting much work for the "Big Two."

I'd be very interested in seeing what they could do at Dynamite.

I mean, look at this list of commenters on that post, and what they say; some of them are doing a little comics work, some are doing other things, but some are also very under-employed and they all have a lot of talent:

Jerry Ordway
    Chuck Dixon
    Mark Verheiden
    Mike Manley
    Len Strazewski
    Graham Nolan
    Chris Weston
    Marv Wolfman
    Joe Rubinstein
    Kerry Gammill
    Jerry Bingham
    Michael T. Gilbert
    and others...

I also would love to see Tom DeFalco (he's doing some sporadic stuff for DC, but I miss Spider-Girl so much!), Steve Rude, John Ostrander, more...
    Last edited by ChastMastr; 03-09-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Default CEO/Publisher

ChastMastr,

You're reading our books and going to our web site and don't know we're working with some of these fine talents? Very sad.

Remember, it's not just up to us to hire creators, they have to want to work with us or on the projects we have, and sometimes there's no available project because we do have other creators working on certain projects. But here's a quick run down.

Jerry Ordway - E-mailed him the day after this went down and offered him work with us, and fortunately, and really cool of DC, they had already assigned him work. They did a great job in ensuring that one of their own was taken care of when they saw the news.
    Chuck Dixon - Just wrote a stellar Lone Ranger story. You haven't seen it? Also writing e-books for us and has written The Expendibles. Check them out.
    Mark Verheiden - He's swamped with TV work. Been asking him for years, and didn't want to bug him any more.

Chris Weston - last time we approached, he was just too busy.
    Marv Wolfman - last I spoke with Marv he was exclusive with DC
    Joe Rubinstein - we work with him on different things. Nothing of late in the comics.

Some of the other creators either things didn't come together or they were working on their own thing.

I hope that the above helps. And hopefully you'll check out the work with Chuck. He's done and will be doing more great work for us.

best!

Nick

Thank you! I haven't been following the Lone Ranger end of the spectrum (more the Mars/Jungle/Hyborian stuff), so I appreciate finding that out!

Michael T. Gilbert. I would kill to see a Mr. Monster book again, and he doesn't seem to be tied down with work for some other company (except for his regular feature in TwoMorrows' Alter Ego magazine). Seems like Mr. Monster would fit right in with the whole pulp/golden age character thing that Dynamite is turning into a regular genre.
    Last edited by positronic; 03-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

Default CEO/Publisher

Hi Postitronic,

We did approach on Mr. Monster, but it didn't come together.

Hopefully down the line.

best!

Nick

Hey Nick, any chance we can get Igor Vitorino back to some art? How about more titles for Jack Herbert?

Where is Doug Moench these days? He was always one of my favourite writers but I can't recall seeing anything new by him in years...

What about Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle. I loved their run on the Batman books in the late 80's and 90's.
    DE Pull List: Black Bat, Damsels, Damsels: Mermaids, Dejah Thoris: Green Men of Mars, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Lady Rawhide, Lords of Mars, Miss Fury, Red Sonja, Red Sonja Legends, Red Sonja Unchained, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Spider, Uncanny , Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris

Quote Originally Posted by cdarlage View Post
    What about Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle. I loved their run on the Batman books in the late 80's and 90's.
    The last I heard, Alan Grant was concentrating on his own comics publishing company here in the UK, though they don't seem to have put anything out for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by cdarlage View Post
    Norm Breyfogle is doing Batman Beyond for DC right now!