Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Past publications

Quote Originally Posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    The last Moonstone issue ends nicely. The last panel seems to imply that they plan to try and get the Phantom back.

As the Phantom rides away on of the characters says "We'll miss him." and Guran replies "He'll be back."
    As it stands, I really hope Moonstone does get the license back, as I really disliked Dynamite's issue 1.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    As it stands, I really hope Moonstone does get the license back, as I really disliked Dynamite's issue 1.
    Hmm... not a good review... I am a trade waiter so have no idea how it's going but I did love the Moonstone.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('')

It would probably never happen but it would be cool to see a remastered title for the Phantom much like we have received from Green Hornet and Red Sonja, but I would assume that somebody own the own material or something and we probably won't get it (at DE anyway).

Anyone know who owns the classic Phantom material?
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    It would probably never happen but it would be cool to see a remastered title for the Phantom much like we have received from Green Hornet and Red Sonja, but I would assume that somebody own the own material or something and we probably won't get it (at DE anyway).

Anyone know who owns the classic Phantom material?
    I'm guessing it depends on the licensing agreement. DC just issued Doc Savage Graphic Novels of the mini series they did in 87 as well as the series that Marvel did in 72. If I had to guess I'd say taht in most cases the art work belongs to the owner of the character.

The problem with The Phantom is that there is so much stuff where do you start. The newspaper strips the comics (Gold Key, Charlton, King & Wolf to name a few) ? Pioneer did a good job with the strips but they're not that available so a reprint would be nice.
    Last edited by Ghornet2; 09-21-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

As far as the comic books go, as fate would have it, Hermes Press is reprinting in hardcover virtually all of the American comic book run of the Phantom's first series (issues #1-74), originally published by Gold Key, King Comics, and Charlton Comics. Of those, I particularly recommend "The Charlton Years" volumes. The Charlton Years has work by Jim Aparo (in the first volume) and Don Newton (in the final upcoming volume), both of whom went on to work on Batman for DC. Hermes has also begun a chronological series of hardcover reprints of the original Lee Falk daily and Sunday strips (beginning with the very first), but these may be more of an acquired taste for modern comic book readers. Personally, I'm chomping at the bit to see reprints of the 1960s and beyond newspaper strips illustrated by Sy Barry, who as far as I'm concerned was the quintessential Phantom artist.

Moonstone also published a two volume trade paperback collection called The Phantom: The Graham Nolan Sundays that reprinted some of the more recent Sunday strips (and Graham Nolan also worked on Batman for DC), but these are sadly out of print. Worth seeking out though.
    Last edited by positronic; 03-10-2012 at 06:29 AM.

It was the Wolf Publishing series that really got me interested in the Phantom. Shame it only lasted 11 issues. I think they were translations of Swedish material, weren't they?

From The Phantom:A Publishing History in England by Bob Griffin and Bryan Shedden:

In July 1992, The Phantom was resurrected as a regular series in England by Wolf Publishing of London (editorial offices in Birmingham). Selling for a mere 99p, each 36 page full color monthly issue reprinted original stories created by the team of writers and artists commissioned by Semic of Sweden. The comics were printed in England and local artists created the excellent covers. The publishers were wise not to rely on the British market, and the series was distributed to comic shops in the USA and Australia.

The first four issues were sold as limited collectors editions, and can be recognized by a number printed at the top-left corner of the third page. Various issues included editorials dealing with the Defenders of the Earth animated TV series, other Phantom comics seen in England, the 1943 Phantom Serial, and Phantom merchandise. Biographical details were also given for each of the writers and artists. Reader letters were published in issues #4, #5 and #6. The Wolf Phantom comics were obviously a hit with many fans judging by the reader response. Issue #8 included a pack of "Battlecards" taped to the front cover, and a two-page promotional spread inside the comic.

Unfortunately, the series was not profitable and was cancelled before the end of its first year. The last issue (#9) was a limited edition for subscribers. Each was individually numbered and signed by the editors and cover artists. Unnumbered and unsigned copies were also sold through comic shops. This last edition was the only one not printed in color.

I believe the 1995 The Phantom: The Ghost Who Walks 3-issue miniseries published by Marvel and written by Dave DeVries with artwork by Glenn Lumsden was also a reprint of material originally produced for the Australian comic market.

I wish Dynamite would do trade paperbacks (or even just regular American comic magazine format -- who's to know, they're new to us) reprints of the Phantom stories originally generated by publishers like Semic (Sweden), Frew (Australia/New Zealand), and Fratelli Spada (Italy).
    Last edited by positronic; 03-10-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Nine issues? I could've sworn the last one I saw was numbered #11...I'll have to check, now...