Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

Default What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

Dynamite is known for making new comics based on both popular and obscure characters and franchises, whether it's Robocop or Vampirella, and they're still bringing in new characters to make comics about, like Tarzan (even if they can't name the series after him).

My question is, what characters/franchises would you like to see under the Dynamite umbrella? Personally, I'd love to see an official line of comics for the classic Universal Monsters. Perhaps they could follow the footsteps of Project Superpowers and Kirby Genesis, starting out with one series featuring all the monsters together, and then branching out to feature them in their own individual series'. Plus, I'm dying to see Alex Ross tackle these characters.

krull, and thundarr

Excellent idea on the Universal Monsters, Lord Talavar. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if they let it remain "classic" and didn't try to update it too much. Maybe they could test the waters with a Vampirella vs. Universal Monsters miniseries.

Since Dynamite already has The Phantom, Flash Gordon, and (so I've read) Mandrake & Lothar, I'd love it if they gave Defenders of the Earth a shot. It doesn't have to be too slavishly faithful to the '80s cartoon, in fact I'd prefer they reinvent it to follow in line with Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist. Just make it more like the classic Avengers, and less like Super Friends.

Since they now have Voltron, and since Top Cow hasn't published Battle of the Planets in a few years, they should get that license too. Maybe just call it Gatchaman (or G-Force) to avoid any connection with the dumbed-down American cartoon version. They could get a small line of "classic" anime titles going -- I wouldn't mind seeing Astro Boy, Gigantor, Captain Harlock, 8th Man, or Star Blazers, either.
    Last edited by positronic; 11-28-2011 at 02:16 AM.

outlander, it was a cool movie that is starting to build up a little bit of a cult following

it is a GREAT movie

that had a . . . . really bad advertizing campaign so it bombed

The ERB Venus and Pellucidar stories, of course!

THEY MUST GET THUNDARR!

I'm not sure I want them to get any other licenses. They should concentrate on what they have. Lone Ranger, Zorro & Phantom seem to have fallen by the wayside. And while Project:Superpowers isn't a license it has pretty much vanished.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Default Land of the Lost

Dynamite should pick up the original Land of the Lost from Krofft Productions. Arcana was going to do a series right before the movie came out, but I think the bombing-out of said film doomed the title to non-publication. A couple of years have passed now since that horrible film, so it might be the right time to reintroduce the original concept! This, I would love to see!

Enik
    http://lotl.popapostle.com/

Default DE/Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    I'm not sure I want them to get any other licenses. They should concentrate on what they have. Lone Ranger, Zorro & Phantom seem to have fallen by the wayside. And while Project:Superpowers isn't a license it has pretty much vanished.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this.While Lone Ranger and Zorro were more on hiatis and seem to be starting up again I think Robocop is an even better example of what we now know as a hiatis that seemed at the time as a crash and burn cancellation.With the economy headed downward less is more these days.With some of the current arcs still going strong I would let some of these run their course first before commiting to more licensing ( of course foolish me I've signed up for Flash Gordon and Lord Of The Jungle) so what do I know? I agree with ChastMaster on ERB Venus and Pellucidar and would really like to see Arthur Conan Doyle's Challenger character spun off after a decent adaptation of The Lost World.Also Andre Nortons early SF like Solar Queen/Dane Thorson could be a great launching point for an exploration of her overall Future History which mirrored America at the time and in the right hands could bring a modern touch to classic Space Opera.

ERB's Carson of Venus novels are not in the public domain. Technically Dark Horse still holds the official licenses to do these. Of the Pellucidar novels, only the first 3 are in the public domain.