Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 398

Thread: What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

  1. #311
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    248

    Default

    IDW are about to lose the licence for Doctor Who.
    I just thought I'd mention it. Y'know, in passing.

  2. #312
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    231

    Default Hey, how about King Features....???

    Who has the rights to King Features: The Phantom, Mandrake, and Flash Gordon.??

    If DE has the rights, I sure would like to see some of the "old stuff" reprinted in comics of our three heroes.

    To compliment King's Watch.


    Oh, and I would love to see Dick Tracy in a four color comic starting from about '43 on....to stop before Dick went into space.
    Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.

  3. #313
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magnoanddavey View Post
    Oh, and I would love to see Dick Tracy in a four color comic starting from about '43 on....to stop before Dick went into space.
    Sure, the Tracy 'sci-fi' period was a bit goofy (but then, so are most Tracy villains) -- and not without its own charm, especially for a science fiction fan. Interesting, that this was happening in the Tracy strip right around the same time that Batman was fighting interdimensional monsters and aliens in the comic books, and the early Marvel comics were filled with giant creatures running amok and alien invasions. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, the public had space travel on their minds.

    I love Moon Maid. And according to wikipedia,
    On April 26, 2013, the strip began a storyline about the Moon Maid vigilante that is currently ongoing. She has apparently been created somehow from the remains of the original Moon Maid by Dr. Zy Ghote and Dr. S. Tim Sail; one strip mentions cloning technology, while others have mentioned facial reconstruction surgery as the reason her face is covered while it heals. (It is unclear why a clone would need facial reconstruction; one possibility is that only part of the Moon Maid's DNA was used to create the replicant, with the rest of the DNA coming from someone else, and the surgery was used to make her look more like the original Moon Maid.)

    The doctors refer to their "patient" by the original Moon Maid's name, Mysta, and she appears to have at least some of the memories of the original, for in the strip for May 2, 2013, she declares "I want to see my daughter, Honeymoon, and my husband again!"


    Well, if Grant Morrison can bring back the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, why not?
    Last edited by pulphero; 08-12-2013 at 04:32 AM.

  4. #314
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    471

    Default

    I would like them to pick up the license to my webcomic Dan's Voyage, but that will probably never happen XD
    Let Disney know, that you want to go Back To Barsoom.

  5. #315
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Sure, the Tracy 'sci-fi' period was a bit goofy (but then, so are most Tracy villains) -- and not without its own charm, especially for a science fiction fan. Interesting, that this was happening in the Tracy strip right around the same time that Batman was fighting interdimensional monsters and aliens in the comic books, and the early Marvel comics were filled with giant creatures running amok and alien invasions. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, the public had space travel on their minds.

    I love Moon Maid. And according to wikipedia,
    On April 26, 2013, the strip began a storyline about the Moon Maid vigilante that is currently ongoing. She has apparently been created somehow from the remains of the original Moon Maid by Dr. Zy Ghote and Dr. S. Tim Sail; one strip mentions cloning technology, while others have mentioned facial reconstruction surgery as the reason her face is covered while it heals. (It is unclear why a clone would need facial reconstruction; one possibility is that only part of the Moon Maid's DNA was used to create the replicant, with the rest of the DNA coming from someone else, and the surgery was used to make her look more like the original Moon Maid.)

    The doctors refer to their "patient" by the original Moon Maid's name, Mysta, and she appears to have at least some of the memories of the original, for in the strip for May 2, 2013, she declares "I want to see my daughter, Honeymoon, and my husband again!"


    Well, if Grant Morrison can bring back the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, why not?
    Well, that is certainly interesting. Intriguing. But I still slap my forehead when the name "Moon Maid" is mentioned.

    Oh, how I hoped that Gould would come back to Earth.!!
    Was it the "space coupe" or what?? Tears still come to my eyes when I write about Gould going "off the tracks."
    I loved those Tracy villains...but I thought the journey to the moon and every thing related "too goofy".
    I loved Dick Tracy up untell then.

  6. #316

    Default

    Doc Savage

  7. #317
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magnoanddavey View Post
    Well, that is certainly interesting. Intriguing. But I still slap my forehead when the name "Moon Maid" is mentioned.

    Oh, how I hoped that Gould would come back to Earth.!!
    Was it the "space coupe" or what?? Tears still come to my eyes when I write about Gould going "off the tracks."
    I loved those Tracy villains...but I thought the journey to the moon and every thing related "too goofy".
    I loved Dick Tracy up untell then.
    I didn't even become aware of Dick Tracy until the old UPA cartoon The Dick Tracy Show (Joe Jitsu, Gogo Gomez, Officer Heap O'Callery, and "OK, Chief, I'll get on it right away.")
    The space coupe/Moon Maid era was my first exposure to the strip, as this was appearing around the same time. Having never read the old 1930s/40s Tracy, I never placed him in the category of "realistic" comic strip heroes, more in the category of characters like Popeye or Alley Oop, because the strip (to me, anyway) was drawn in a more 'cartoony' style than an 'illustrative' style. Plus I never had much interest in any 'hard-boiled' crime stories as a kid, but I was a science fiction fan from the time I began watching television.

  8. #318
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    231

    Default Gould's Dick Tracy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    I didn't even become aware of Dick Tracy until the old UPA cartoon The Dick Tracy Show (Joe Jitsu, Gogo Gomez, Officer Heap O'Callery, and "OK, Chief, I'll get on it right away.")
    The space coupe/Moon Maid era was my first exposure to the strip, as this was appearing around the same time. Having never read the old 1930s/40s Tracy, I never placed him in the category of "realistic" comic strip heroes, more in the category of characters like Popeye or Alley Oop, because the strip (to me, anyway) was drawn in a more 'cartoony' style than an 'illustrative' style. Plus I never had much interest in any 'hard-boiled' crime stories as a kid, but I was a science fiction fan from the time I began watching television.

    I thought Dick Tracy one of the greatest strips ever. But I found him a bit earlier than you.
    I couldn't wait to get home from school to see how Dick was doing....in the mid-'50's .
    Gould's style was pretty great, to me....and he was the first comic strip character I ever tried to draw.
    It was finding a Dick Tracy comicbook on the comic spinner rack that lead me to Jack Kirby and comics in general. For that, I'll be forever indebted.

    I cut his daily adventures from the paper, pasted the strip to notebook paper, and turned them into comicbooks.

    I could only cringe at the TV show.

    I, later, moved to Illinois and still regret that I didn't drive down and try to meet Gould.

    Everybody's experience informs them.
    All of us are informed kind of differently because of our own different experience....and what appeals to us and what doesn't.

    (Rip Kirby may have had better art but Tracy had something special about it.)
    Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-30-2013 at 08:41 PM.

  9. #319
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magnoanddavey View Post
    It was finding a Dick Tracy comicbook on the comic spinner rack that lead me to Jack Kirby and comics in general. For that, I'll be forever indebted.
    Speaking of Kirby and Tracy, it occurred to me the other day that both Gould and Kirby had a sort of cartoonish playfulness when it came to naming characters. I know Kirby had said that the various kooky names like Scott Free, Granny Goodness and Virman Vundabar were inspired by Charles Dickens' Artful Dodger et. al., but it occurs to me that there isn't a huge leap between Gould's names like B.O. Plenty, Sam Catchem, and Odds Zonn, so I wonder if Kirby took a little inspiration there from Gould, if not artistically. Al Capp used similar 'colorful' wordplay names for his Li'l Abner characters.

    Then there are so many parallels between Batman and Dick Tracy, particularly beginning in the 1940s, with the development of both characters' rogues gallery of villains. It's almost as if the two characters were in competition to see who could come up with the more bizarre criminals. And particularly under Kane ghost Dick Sprang, Batman's art style began to resemble Gould's more closely. His hatchet-jawed profile of Batman could almost have been Dick Tracy wearing a cowl instead of a fedora. And, as I mentioned above, the sci-fi period of both strips seemed to run in parallel (although by this time Sprang had mostly been replaced by Shelly Moldoff). But regardless of the fact that both strips' sci-fi periods are regarded in retrospect as aberrant mis-steps in the direction of the characters, I retain a fondness for them, because they had a not-too serious, anything-goes experimentalism about them. In the case of Batman, that period contained stories of a future Batman (Brayne Taylor) that surely served as partial inspiration for the more modern take on the concept, Batman Beyond. I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Dick Tracy 'Beyond', either.

    Name:  Batman.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  23.9 KBName:  Tracy.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  21.0 KB
    Last edited by pulphero; 08-31-2013 at 03:10 AM.

  10. #320
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    231

    Default Wonderful observation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Speaking of Kirby and Tracy, it occurred to me the other day that both Gould and Kirby had a sort of cartoonish playfulness when it came to naming characters. I know Kirby had said that the various kooky names like Scott Free, Granny Goodness and Virman Vundabar were inspired by Charles Dickens' Artful Dodger et. al., but it occurs to me that there isn't a huge leap between Gould's names like B.O. Plenty, Sam Catchem, and Odds Zonn, so I wonder if Kirby took a little inspiration there from Gould, if not artistically. Al Capp used similar 'colorful' wordplay names for his Li'l Abner characters.

    Then there are so many parallels between Batman and Dick Tracy, particularly beginning in the 1940s, with the development of both characters' rogues gallery of villains. It's almost as if the two characters were in competition to see who could come up with the more bizarre criminals. And particularly under Kane ghost Dick Sprang, Batman's art style began to resemble Gould's more closely. His hatchet-jawed profile of Batman could almost have been Dick Tracy wearing a cowl instead of a fedora. And, as I mentioned above, the sci-fi period of both strips seemed to run in parallel (although by this time Sprang had mostly been replaced by Shelly Moldoff). But regardless of the fact that both strips' sci-fi periods are regarded in retrospect as aberrant mis-steps in the direction of the characters, I retain a fondness for them, because they had a not-too serious, anything-goes experimentalism about them. In the case of Batman, that period contained stories of a future Batman (Brayne Taylor) that surely served as partial inspiration for the more modern take on the concept, Batman Beyond. I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Dick Tracy 'Beyond', either.

    Name:  Batman.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  23.9 KBName:  Tracy.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  21.0 KB
    Wonderful observation of Tracy and Batman. I enjoyed just reading your assessment.
    I loved both Sprang and Gould...and I think you could be right about finding villains.
    Wasn't there a "Haf-and Haf" in Tracy...
    and, of course, Two-Face in Batman??

    Both had such a wonderful rogues' Gallery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •