Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

Wow! I had no idea. Another for the Christmas wish list...

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    Or maybe just overlooked. HERMES PRESS has been reprinting The Phantom's complete (American) comic book adventures in the archival hardcover format. Available now: The Gold Key Years Vol. 1 (of 2), The King Years Vol. 1 (of 1), The Charlton Years Vol. 1 (of 5). Coming in 2013: The Gold Key Years Vol. 2 (of 2), The Charlton Years Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 (of 5).

Attachment 556Attachment 557Attachment 558
    (Wished those covers would come up again.) Pos, the Harvey Phantom years are not reprinted. Right??
    Some of those Harvey issues were from the "original artist" from the newspaper strip. I really liked those. Do you know who the artists are on these reprints.??

I have, or had, that first cover --- I thought it was such a knock-out!! Can't remember the interior art very well though. Falk was the original artist, wasn't he??
    I had hoped, so desperately, that The Phantom and Mandrake would meet somehow. I would have loved to see that story.
    There was a meeting between the two not long ago from Moonstone?? but it was very poorly done. (imho.)

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I think we all had one of those. I'm still in touch with mine...The Charlton Phantom series was another good one. A reprint collection is long overdue.
    I'm not in touch with mine. She now hangs with a tough crowd. I could get so seriously hurt, I couldn't read comics anymore. Some things are better left in the past.
    I agree, tony, that the Charlton Phantom series was good. I really liked some of those Newton books.

Quote Originally Posted by magnoanddavey View Post
    (Wished those covers would come up again.) Pos, the Harvey Phantom years are not reprinted. Right??
    Some of those Harvey issues were from the "original artist" from the newspaper strip. I really liked those. Do you know who the artists are on these reprints.??

I have, or had, that first cover --- I thought it was such a knock-out!! Can't remember the interior art very well though. Falk was the original artist, wasn't he??
    I had hoped, so desperately, that The Phantom and Mandrake would meet somehow. I would have loved to see that story.
    There was a meeting between the two not long ago from Moonstone?? but it was very poorly done. (imho.)
    "The Harvey Years" are not reprinted, because they were themselves reformatted reprints of the newspaper continuities. So you're right, they ARE the "original artist", AND the actual original strips. I believe the artist on most of those stories (I have not actually checked) was Wilson McCoy.

Bill Lignante (I think I spelled that right) was the artist on almost all the stories in both "The Gold Key Years" and "The King Years" (which was actually closer to about a year). He continued to do some stories when Charlton took over publishing the Phantom, BUT (and here is the best part) Charlton also assigned a lot of those early stories to Jim Aparo (most are in "The Charlton Years, Vol. 1") and some to Pat Boyette as well. There may have been some other artists too (this is all off the top of my head). When they finally get to "The Charlton Years, Vol. 5" we will see the brief but spectacular run of Don Newton on The Phantom (and The Ghost Who Walks has rarely looked better).

The Gold Key painted covers were done by George Wilson (whose work can also be found on covers for Dr. Solar, Magnus, Space Family Robinson, Tarzan, Korak, etc. etc. etc.). Let's face it, the guy was prolific.

BTW, although Lee Falk created the character, he never drew him. He only wrote the strip (for, like, 60 YEARS!!!). You may be thinking of Sy (Seymour) Barry (brother of Dan Barry, who drew Flash Gordon from 1951-1990). Sy Barry took over the art on the newspaper strip in 1962, and continued to draw every Phantom daily and Sunday strip until 1994. 33 years, not too shabby. Doesn't compare to Lee Falk's amazing streak writing the strip, but still... Dan Barry had a lot of assistants during his 40-year run on Flash Gordon (Sy was one of them until taking over The Phantom), and later on the bulk of the work was taken over by Bob Fujitani. But I think The Phantom was pretty much all Sy (he may have had some inking assists from time to time).
    Last edited by positronic; 10-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Well, this isn't really on topic , I know DE couldn't pick up this franchise because marvel would never let it go, but sometime before I die I would love to see a miniseries crossover with Dr. Strange and Vampirella. I really like both characters, Strange is usually pretty calm under pressure but I wonder how he would deal with working with sexy incarnate.

I know it wouldn't happen, Now that Disney owns marvel such a crossover would probably require a sacrifice to the dark lord.

On another note, DE should do 6-8 issue series about The Talking Heads...the band from the 70's and 80's. Not about their music, but about them fighting crime..I'm not even joking, I would pay good money to read a comic book about David Byrne fighting crime with his zany antics.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well, this isn't really on topic , I know DE couldn't pick up this franchise because marvel would never let it go, but sometime before I die I would love to see a miniseries crossover with Dr. Strange and Vampirella. I really like both characters, Strange is usually pretty calm under pressure but I wonder how he would deal with working with sexy incarnate.

I know it wouldn't happen, Now that Disney owns marvel such a crossover would probably require a sacrifice to the dark lord.
    Bad news... Marvel hasn't done an intercompany cooperative publishing venture in years. Good news... the last ones they did were with Dynamite (Spider-Man/Red Sonja, Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness, Avengers/Invaders, The Human Torch). I don't think DE burned any bridges there, but maybe you're right, the Disney ownership might make things more difficult.
    Last edited by positronic; 12-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.

On another note, DE should do 6-8 issue series about The Talking Heads...the band from the 70's and 80's. Not about their music, but about them fighting crime..I'm not even joking, I would pay good money to read a comic book about David Byrne fighting crime with his zany antics.
    This idea reminds me of an old British anthology comic called 'Look-In', which was published weekly throughout the seventies and eighties. It consisted solely of strips based on TV shows and TV personalities, including occasionally some of the bands who appeared on the BBC's legendary 'Top of the Pops', all of them suitably over dramatized of course. There was actually a weekly series based on the adventures of one time Eurovision winners Bucks Fizz...

James, I'm a big fan of David Byrne and his big suit, but even I've got to say that's one of the wackiest ideas I've heard yet. I just can't imagine what that would look like. Still, I've got to admit you could get a lot of story mileage out of just playing around with plots based on the titles and lyrics of the Heads' songs. Just to keep things interesting, there should also be rotating backup strips featuring the Tom Tom Club and Jerry Harrison & The Casual Gods, and every so often a team-up with someone like Brian Eno or Robert Fripp.

This just popped into my head. I know I mentioned somewhere a while back that I wished Dynamite would get the license for Universal Monsters, but of course that requires lengthy negotiations and possible royalties... Since DE has already done a Dracula comic (adaptation of the novel), why not do Frankenstein? We all know DE loves to do public domain characters. Doesn't have to be an adaptation, in fact I think I'd prefer an original sequel. True, IDW is already doing their own version of same, but the more the merrier, say I.

Either that or some crazy penny dreadful story like Sweeney Todd, Spring-Heeled Jack, or Varney the Vampyre.

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    Since DE has already done a Dracula comic (adaptation of the novel), why not do Frankenstein? We all know DE loves to do public domain characters. Doesn't have to be an adaptation, in fact I think I'd prefer an original sequel.
    This post will be longer then totally necessary, I ramble a lot, and I imagine my voice saying each word that I type. If there is anything I love, its the soothing sound of my typing voice.Anyway.

An original Frankenstein story would be outstanding, I would still like it to be period specific, or at the least stick with the original feel, In other words I wouldn't want to read a story about Frankenstein in New York City in the year 2015. You know what I'm saying ( a statement, not a rhetorical question). Not too long ago the punisher series made frank castle like a frankenstein, and I never forgave Marvel for that. In one fell swoop they murdered two characters I really liked. (rambling) I want to see something in the vein of the original, the monster dealing with his terrible existence and not understanding what is going on. Dr. Frankenstein's soaring triumph of science followed by his horror, terror and guilt.

Let me ask you something Positronic, while I was waiting to be allowed to post in the forum I lurked here for several days and read a lot of your posts. So I know you have pretty much an encyclopedic knowledge of comics an such.

the Wolf man would be public domain too then right? I know its not as old as Frankenstein but still. Werewolves were always my favorite monsters, Modern pop culture has really screwed them up in my opinion, I'm not some old soul,but I always thought the original Idea for the wolf man was the best. Modern incarnations got two things wrong, well, one and a half things really.
    1. Werewolves don't turn into giant wolves..they turn into wolf monsters , who then proceed to SUPER MURDER everyone in range.
    1/2. Werewolves change on a full moon, its a curse. Its only a half because every one knows that being a werewolf who can change at will would be awesome!

So awesome that its awesomeness ruins it. If you could change at will it wouldn't be a curse, people would go around just trying to find a werewolf to pick a fight with.