Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2960
What licenses would you like to see DE pick up? - Page 37
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

I understand Boom! opted not to renew the PLANET OF THE APES license.

Get ON that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Dynamite could have a 12-part series on that last part alone!

Seriously, goofy character, but potentially fun as hell.

He's REAL, PH!!
    This to be one of the strangest comics Marvel ever published. First of all, Marvel already had a character by that name (a villain) that first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #10 (1976), only a couple of years before the Human Fly's self-titled series. Secondly, I had to completely take Marvel's word for it that "he's real", because I not only had never heard of the guy before the comic was published, I never even heard of him AFTER it was published. Seriously, this Evel Kneivel-wannabe gets his own comic book, but Evel Kneivel doesn't? (Yeah, I know there was a one-shot toy tie-in giveaway, but that doesn't count.) This guy's agent must have been able to sell ice to Eskimos, and scammed Marvel into believing this guy would be "the next big thing". Never in all the time that this comic was running did I see one media story on TV or in a magazine or newspaper ever mentioning this guy (oh, I'm sure there were some, but it's not like he ever really had anything resembling a public recognition factor). Nobody I talked to back then had ever heard of him outside of the comic book either. I was halfway convinced that this was some goofy half-baked publicity scheme that Marvel themselves concocted. And has there ever been a superhero in his own book with a costume as lame as this guy's? It's just bland.

I do remember reading a couple of years back that someone was trying to revive this guy's short-lived career and association with the comic book.

I rather liked the Human Fly. He may not have been 'A' list, but he was unique.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Exactly.

I think the order in which things happened was that Fly got notoriety for his plane stunt and intended to continue on, so Marvel started the book. But after his more-or-less successful attempt at beating Knievel's bus jump, he pretty much disappeared without explanation so the expected publicity to help push the book never materialized.

http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspo...mpossible.html

How about underwater TV heros? Don't go away, but think Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Man from Atlantis and even Sea Hunt. (The character from Sea Hunt was Mike Nelson who obviously is related to VTTBOTS's Admiral Harriman Nelson). I bet you could do a mini series from it. I don't know what the market would be for such a book but it would certainly be a different team up.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    You know what, I'm completely blanking on why this guy called himself "The Human Fly". I mean, unlike the previous Marvel character by that name, he didn't have any kind of fly motif going on in the costume, and maybe it was explained in the book and I've long since forgotten -- did he scale tall buildings or anything like that, as several notoriety-seeking stuntmen had done using that name in the earlier part of the 20th century?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    How about underwater TV heros? Don't go away, but think Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Man from Atlantis and even Sea Hunt. (The character from Sea Hunt was Mike Nelson who obviously is related to VTTBOTS's Admiral Harriman Nelson). I bet you could do a mini series from it. I don't know what the market would be for such a book but it would certainly be a different team up.
    I could dig that.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    You know what, I'm completely blanking on why this guy called himself "The Human Fly". I mean, unlike the previous Marvel character by that name, he didn't have any kind of fly motif going on in the costume, and maybe it was explained in the book and I've long since forgotten -- did he scale tall buildings or anything like that, as several notoriety-seeking stuntmen had done using that name in the earlier part of the 20th century?
    I don't know for certain but just assumed that it was because his first "major" stunt (relatively speaking) involved flight.

In light of his belt logo, Human Rocket would have made much more sense, of course...

'Human Fly' use to refer to people who climbed buildings with out the add of ropes etc. I seem to remember this guy doint that at one point. The rocket on his belt buckle makes no sense at all.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/