Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

Apparently I'm not the only one who wants to see a Man From Atlantis/Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea team up. See: http://ralphuniverse.deviantart.com/...ight-164769527

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    I could dig that.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRollKato View Post
    I understand Boom! opted not to renew the PLANET OF THE APES license.

Get ON that.
    that sucks. i really enjoyed their POTA comics.

Would it be blasphemous to suggest Dick Tracy? I can imagine a crossover with The Shadow being very interesting, especially if Matt Wagner was at the helm. In fact, a Matt Wagner-written Dick Tracy would be pretty cool in general I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Talavar View Post
    Would it be blasphemous to suggest Dick Tracy? I can imagine a crossover with The Shadow being very interesting, especially if Matt Wagner was at the helm. In fact, a Matt Wagner-written Dick Tracy would be pretty cool in general I think.
    I just have trouble wrapping my brain around a Dick Tracy comic book drawn in a modern, realistic/illustrative style. I'm so used to seeing that profile of Tracy based on a square, not a circle. To me, the cartooning style is inseparable from the 'Dick Tracy-ness' of the character. Same goes for the villains. Have to admit I never cared much for the movies. If this were to become a comic book, I'd prefer that IDW get the license and do it in total retro-mode the way they did with Popeye. Since IDW already publishes the hardcover collections of DT strip reprints, that would seem to make some kind of sense.

Name:  dick-tracy-in-court-20091111104202073.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  33.9 KB
    Last edited by pulphero; 12-04-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    I just have trouble wrapping my brain around a Dick Tracy comic book drawn in a modern, realistic/illustrative style. I'm so used to seeing that profile of Tracy based on a square, not a circle. To me, the cartooning style is inseparable from the 'Dick Tracy-ness' of the character. Same goes for the villains. Have to admit I never cared much for the movies. If this were to become a comic book, I'd prefer that IDW get the license and do it in total retro-mode the way they did with Popeye. Since IDW already publishes the hardcover collections of DT strip reprints, that would seem to make some kind of sense.

Name:  dick-tracy-in-court-20091111104202073.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  33.9 KB
    I must agree with you there. A complete retro-style Dick Tracy comic from IDW akin to their Popeye comics would be really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Talavar View Post
    I must agree with you there. A complete retro-style Dick Tracy comic from IDW akin to their Popeye comics would be really interesting.
    There's a cue for someone from IDW to jump in and say, "OK, Chief, I'll get on it right away... !"

Actually, now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing a comic book version that also included the TV characters of Joe Jitsu, Go-Go Gomez, Hemlock Holmes and Officer Heap O'Callory (as long as they didn't force Tracy into a walk-on role in his own series...). And, of course, Moon Maid. Just to prove that the forces of law and order can be just as weird and outlandish as the forces of crime. I wish someone would make a new Dick Tracy animated show. But it would probably have to be too watered-down by BS&P to air on something like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.

I could se them doing a rotating back up featuring the TV characters and having them occasionally appear in the main story.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    I could se them doing a rotating back up featuring the TV characters and having them occasionally appear in the main story.
    The animated cartoons were very different from the Chester Gould comic strip, with Tracy's role diminished to merely handing out assignments, then showing up for the collar at the end of the episode. I was thinking more along the lines of integrating (no pun intended regarding Asian, Hispanic or Irish stereotypes) those characters into the regular Tracy cast of good guys, along with Tess Trueheart, Junior, Chief Pat Patton, Sam Catchem, etc. Upon further refection, I think that would work, with the exception of Hemlock Holmes. A talking bulldog wearing a Keystone Cops-style police helmet might be too much to accept even in a world where Moon People exist. Or was that supposed to be a London bobby's cap? I never really identified the accent as English, but I guess a British Bulldog named Holmes makes some sort of sense. Anyway, I don't know if the regular Tracy cast wants to stray into talking animal territory... Joe Jitsu, Go-Go Gomez, and Heap O'Callory were all caricatured humans, and the names at least seem to fit in with the Chet Gould mold of punning monickers. I don't know who designed the characters (some UPA animation director, probably) but it doesn't look like Gould was involved. Still, I think they can be made to fit into Gould's world of cartoon humans, by tweaking the characters' appearance to be closer to Gould's style. Despite the fact that these characters have some stereotypical comic-relief aspects to them, they mostly managed to bag the bad guys in those cartoons without Tracy's help (sometimes relying on the cheater of "Hold everything!", whereupon the action would freeze around them while they were in a tight spot, giving them a moment to report in to Tracy via 2-way wrist TV), so they can't be completely useless.

Name:  Dick%u00252BTracy%u00252BShow%u00252BHeroes.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  46.2 KB

One thing I wasn't aware of regarding The Dick Tracy Show, is that UPA once teamed up Dick Tracy with Mr. Magoo.

(From Wikipedia):
    "Since UPA was also the producer of the Mr. Magoo cartoons, it was possible for them to arrange a meeting between Tracy and Magoo in a 1965 episode of the TV series The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo. In this episode, "Dick Tracy and the Mob," Tracy persuades Magoo (a well-known actor in the context of the Famous Adventures series) to impersonate an international hit man whom he resembles, and infiltrate a gang of criminals made up of Flattop, Pruneface, Itchy, Mumbles, and others. Unlike the earlier animated Tracy shorts, this longer episode was played relatively straight, with Tracy getting much more screen time. It's notable for pitting Tracy against a coalition of several of his foes, a conceit that would be adopted more than two decades later in the 1990 film."

The episode is available on the Shout Factory DVD collection Mr. Magoo: The Television Collection, 1960-1977. I have no idea if Joe Jitsu, Go-Go Gomez, Heap O'Callory, or Hemlock Holmes put in an appearance in this episode.

The set is kinda pricey, but I had always wanted to have the Famous Adventures series since it featured Magoo doing a "Classics Illustrated" animated version of various literary stories, and after finding out about the Tracy team-up episode I just had to order this. I found a pretty interesting article about The Dick Tracy Show here.
    Last edited by pulphero; 12-16-2013 at 02:45 AM.

So I finally got the Shout Factory DVD, MR. MAGOO: THE TELEVISION COLLECTION 1960-1977, which includes the original Mr. Magoo Show, The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo, Uncle Sam Magoo (TV special), and What's New, Magoo?

I was immediately interested in viewing the episode of The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo, "Dick Tracy and the Mob", in which Tracy recruits 'famous stage actor' Quincy Magoo (the context of The Famous Adventures series) to impersonate a hitman named "Squinty Eyes" who is being snuck back into the U.S. from deportation in Europe by Pruneface and his mob (consisting of Flattop, B.B. Eyes, Mumbles, The Brow, Itchy, Oodles, and The Mole) for the express purpose of eliminating Dick Tracy. Unlike the UPA Dick Tracy Show, Dick Tracy himself has major screen time in this half-hour episode, about equal screen time with Magoo (both as himself and as 'Squinty Eyes'). None of the various Tracy assistants from the Dick Tracy Show (Joe Jitsu, Go-Go Gomez, Heap O'Callory, and Hemlock Holmes) appears here, and comedy is kept to a minimum (which was pretty standard for stories from The Famous Adventures series). Since all of the episodes of The Dick Tracy Show were 5 minutes, and Tracy had very little screen time in each, and the segments of Dick Tracy that appeared in Filmation's Fabulous Funnies

Not a new licence, but I would love to see DE collect and reprint Shadow Strikes in few trades.It's still head and shoulders above any other Shadow comic series, old or new.