Thread: Warriors of Mars (lets discuss it here)

Hybrid View

Default Warriors of Mars (lets discuss it here)

First off, I love this comic, I love the new barsoomian written language (it will take me a while to decode though) I love the interpretation of these things

there are a few things I cant get over though, near the beginning one of the red martians doesnt understand what a country is . . . there are many nations on barsoom, I dont see why this would confuse him?

okay onto the list of differences, here the hithers are a red race, they are normal human sized, and heru is haths daughter, the hithers in gullivar of mars did not have children of their own and heru was some sort of . . . . excort to hath to my knowledge . . . .the caste of slave women is missing . . . the sea has been replaced with a canal . . . overall though I think these work for the hithers if you are going to translate them into a barsoomian context

there are a few things not explained, gullivar speaking the language for example! I suppose that could be a part of the carpets mystical influence though!

there is alot here that deviates from the original gullivar of mars, and not to any sort of detriment . . . because lets be honest . . . gullivar on mars kinda sucked

Now the thither people I think are the real highlight here, they are a blood red four armed people . . . there is a barsoomian feel to them, they are darker than the reddest red man

in the original gullivar of mars, they are referred to as ape-men constantly, and as you know apes on barsoom are four armed giants related to the green men. . . so this is a great extrapolation of that idea. Hybrids of this type green/red are only known in the lands of the therns, slaves in the labyrinths . .. and possibly in the valley of lost souls, a tundra region that is fairly fertile outside the valley door but still in the arctic . . . . in the original gullivar of mars, the thithers are from a tundra region that is semi-fertile with many sorts of pine trees and alot of barren land . . . not to disimiliar to what the valley of lost souls should be like

and to further cement this idea . . . the thither calls Gullivar a "ghost" now, I cant name many places on barsoom with white martians . . . but the therns who live in mountains high above the valley of the lost souls overlooking these individuals here . . . I might just be inclined to think that the thithers believe therns are ghosts!

now here is where it gets better, gullivar in the book traveled the river of death and that is how he reached the thither lands . . . the only path to the valley of lost souls is the river iss or airship above!!!!!!

now the only problem with this comic that I find, is that the thither refers to the red men . . . as red men . . . and they themselves are red, I would think they owuld have a pet name for the red men . . . like . . . ummmmm . . . "pale" men since they are so much redder

so in short, dynamite has created what the thithers should be in barsoomian context

warriors of mars is not gullivar of mars, it is gullivar of barsoom

it is the gullivar of edgar rice burroughs universe, traveling to edgar rice burroughs mars, this is a perfect fusion!

also, lack of airships with the red men, someone did their homework because this comic takes place 1400 years before John Carters arrival, that is 500 years before the invention of airships by the red martians (rediscovery of airships to be more accurate)

this comic is savagely faithful to barsoom, it does sacrifice faithfullness to gullivar of mars . . . but only too its benifit!

and before anyways asks, no I have not added any fanon information I have simply speculated on how these things fit together using information exclusively from the barsoom series (gods of mars to be exact public domain read it if you have the chance) and the original gullivar of mars!

when the heck is the next issue XD

the paaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn XD

OLH LORD

the connection to the valley of the lost souls and the river iss just gets deeper

In gullivar of mars, the original book there is a carnivorous plant . . . there are two primary places that carnivorous plants live on barsoom, kaol . . . . and the valley dor

the valley dor, within spitting distance of the valley of lost souls, heck it might even be proper to change this carnivorous plant to a plant-man in warriors of mars!

OH, and they fed a small APE too the carnivorous plant . . . . .

mother of god the similarities are just piling up

GULLIVAR JUST PARTICIPATED IN A BARSOOMIAN TRADITION DEAR GOD WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON IN THIS BOOK

not exactly, buut to pay the woodman for his help . . . Gullivsr traded one of the brass buttons of his coat, which the woodman threaded and hung about his neck

this is ridiculously similar to the barsoomian tradition of exchanging ornaments

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS BOOK D: