Page 72 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

After reading the complaint, it would seem that Dynamite's use of the ERB material hinges on two things:

1) Can ERB Inc. show proof of trademark registration for the names "Warlord of Mars" and "Lord of the Jungle"? It's unquestionable that they've trademarked the names "Tarzan" and "John Carter". Trademarks need to be kept in active use, and I don't think (even if ERB trademarked them at one time) they can show that the trademarks were kept in use recently enough to prohibit DE from using them.

2) ERB Inc. claims that DE is distributing the adaptations of public domain ERB works in other parts of the world such as the UK, where copyright law differs and the copyright has not expired.

The solution might be that the DE books can continue under different titles, and/or DE agrees to stop distributing the books in other parts of the world than the U.S.

Default Lord of the Jungle #1

I've read it, and I like it!! Nice art and good storytelling! Looking forward to next ish!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralok View Post
    I dont appreciate you putting the idea that the film will bomb in peoples minds, it is awefully rude as you are being.

And just because it was a property that people didnt care about doesnt mean that Dynamite had the legal right. Now dynamite has been pretty careful about using only public domain things in the series, but there have been some slip ups, and if they want to keep doing this they are going to have to reach a deal with ERb Inc.

I think that they are going to have to go through their comics, determine how many bounds they have overstepped and reach a deal based on what they have used without permission.

I am positive that if they have a sit down with a representative with ERB Inc this could all be sorted out without hostilities, Dynamite has done a good service for the John Carter of Mars books, and I am sure that ERB Inc appreciates the quality of these works.
    Grow a thicker skin, dude. People are going to have different opinions on things throughout life than you do, it's par for the course. I didn't bash the film and say how much it's probably going to suck, all I did was say its probably going to bomb in the box office, that's an opinion.......that's why messageboards exist........
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    My comment does not reflect that of Dynamite as a whole, but yeah, regardless of the movie being announced.....nobody cared. And to be honest, sure, WOM is in the top 150 comics each month, but that's not saying a whole lot and I'm sure the film will probably bomb. So yeah, I'm thinking that not many care about John Carter or at least a little more may than the nobody I claimed did.
    Even if the movie does flop it will still be seen by millions of people and many more will see the ads. If even a tiny fraction of them pick up the book do to interest generated from the movie it would translate to significant sales for DE. I find it impossible to believe that forth coming movie played no part in deciding to publish the book, so again, hardly a license no one cares about. DE saw an opportunity and went for it, that's business, the Burroughs Estate got huffy about it, that too is part of business, and not surprising at all considering their track record.
    Last edited by GrayPumpkin; 02-18-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayPumpkin View Post
    Even if the movie does flop it will still be seen by millions of people and many more will see the ads. If even a tiny fraction of them pick up the book do to interest generated from the movie it would translate to significant sales for DE. I find it impossible to believe that forth coming movie played no part in deciding to publish the book, so again, hardly a franchise no one cares about.
    Well, to each their own. I'm sure some people who see the flick will decide to give the comics a shot, I would love that to happen actually, but I'm not going to bank on it. I shouldn't say that "nobody" cares about the franchise, its just not something that's going to draw a massive following, I truly believe that a majority of the comics success is thanks to word of mouth and positive reviews on the web.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Honestly, I prefer the art in the current marvel stuff, I am extremely fond of surreal non-realistic art

maybe it is because I was born in the fires of the dark age of comics where art looked like this

http://fixedart.com/wp-content/uploa...le-Liefeld.png

but I dont know

And you guys dont understand, the book Llana of Gathol, this is where the orovars are introduced! Llana of Gathol is NOT public domain, and neither is the synthetic men of mars where the malagors are introduced . . . dynamite overstepped their bounds with in some of these comics . .. .

but I dont think ERB Inc wants these series to end, I hope that a deal can be reached between the companies

Default Is "Lord of the Jungle" an ongoing?

Is "Lord of the Jungle" an ongoing series or a mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralok View Post
    And you guys dont understand, the book Llana of Gathol, this is where the orovars are introduced! Llana of Gathol is NOT public domain, and neither is the synthetic men of mars where the malagors are introduced . . . dynamite overstepped their bounds with in some of these comics . .. .
    Read the plaintiff's complaint again, Ralok. It specifically mentions trademark for the names "Warlord of Mars" and "Lord of the Jungle", and overseas copyright (specifically the UK). But thanks for bringing those little gaffs to their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by comichero View Post
    Not sure how I feel about someone listed as admin making these kind of comments. even if you feel that way I think you should be more careful in your words that are out here for all to see. We as fans of DE do not want these comic lines to come to an end, we are on your side DE. But please don't say things that make us look like the bad guys here, I mean DE did not create these books (ERB ones) therefore they should be willing to listen and work with ERB Inc. If DE does not want to take that road and just start slinging mud around I think that is a mistake!
    Don't worry about it, it's an opinion and whether or not it's considered "polite" is beyond the point. You got to grow a thick skin with stuff like this.

Now let's keep the discussion on the topic, please.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

I hope so! I've planned up to the end of the second novel, and there are projections to keep on going, as long as there's interest.

Glad you liked the first issue. The second, if I do say so myself, is even better.