Page 77 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Or Bob Larkin. Or Steranko.

Saw the movie and liked it, I do not think they overcomplicated the plot, if anything they simplified it by explaining things that are never explained in the book in a way they make perfect sense and connect beautifully with the novels. I think the title and marketing of the movie has been flawed and it may doom a very good movie. For one thing "A Princess of Mars" as a title might have lured the female audience and family much more than the perception of a "guy" movie that the title John Carter and the arena scenes have given the film. I went with my daughter and her mom. My daughter had absolutely no interest in watching this film and her mother thought it was a Greek mythology film. After the movie finished my daughter told me "wow, I did not know this movie was going to be so good, I really liked it" and her mom thought it was really good too. I think they made Dejah Thoris a totally appealing role model that other women can identify with and they could have exploited this, Lynn Collins, who in interviews had stricken me as a ditz showed really well her acting chops and surprised me by performing a very strong intelligent compelling heroine on screen.
    Last edited by JohnCarter; 03-11-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/boards/signaturepics/sigpic39264_1.gif')

Hmmmm. Debating between Sadowski and Jusko. They're both very hot...

Default Warlord of Mars 16

Just Keep MESSING IT UP

You guys, I dont want to be rude, but seriously. . . you have broken the entire story by having green martians in the land of the first born!

Green Martians are not allowed in the land of the first born! WHY is irrelevent, but if it wasnt for this fact . . . then sola wouldnt have been thrown off the airship when Dejah Thoris was captured!

the only reason that John Carter launched an assault against the first born was because they captured Dejah Thoris, if sola wasnt thrown off the airship . . . then he wouldnt have known that hte first born even captured her . . . he would have no idea what happened to her!

But the presence of green martians in the arena is a major contradiction

you cant later say "green martians arent allowed" because . . . well as demonstrated here THEY ARE

Seriously, paint over these guys and make them thithers or something

the presence of green martians just totally messed up the entire story

I liked it!

I was initially worried about Dejah being a "warrior princess" but really she wasnt in the film, it was taht all barsoomians were warriors . . .it didnt dominate her personality.

I didnt think that hte film was overly complex

highlight of seeing it in the theater was when two women screamed during the incubator scene XD

I was also worried about the warhoons, but it turned out that their physical differences appear to be just derived from lifestyle rather than racial differences (they are stated in the book to be the same race exactly)

I've seen the film too. Much better than I expected, and I hope there is a sequel made.

I saw the film again, and I've decided the plot isn't overly complex (I saw it with my 14 year old son, who really liked it). I suppose my initial reaction was to how they changed the Therns. I liked the movie even more the second time, and I recommend a second viewing for everyone! That's the best way to get a sequel made,which I really hope happens. The theater was more full when I saw it on the second weekend than it was on the first. Hopefully, this is a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by transversal View Post
    I saw the film again, and I've decided the plot isn't overly complex (I saw it with my 14 year old son, who really liked it). I suppose my initial reaction was to how they changed the Therns. I liked the movie even more the second time, and I recommend a second viewing for everyone! That's the best way to get a sequel made,which I really hope happens. The theater was more full when I saw it on the second weekend than it was on the first. Hopefully, this is a trend.
    the therns, mother of god . . .

I really liked the novelization though, because it includes princess of mars . . . and it plays out like there is a narrative. That edgar intentionally hid the information regarding the therns when he wrote the book to protect himself.

it works REALLY well the novelization

I didnt like how the therns were different, but Mark Strong totally nailed the attitude!

that was a major vibe I got from the movie, everything was . . . off . . .but everyone was acting appropriatly

I mean . . . John Carter never had a family in the books, but I would expect him to be that way if his family died . . .

Tars Tarkas . . . . was soooo perfect!

Everything felt off, but it didnt feel wrong!

As I predicted, the movie was/is a flop in the box office. I kind of feel bad since it's a film aimed at boys instead of a film aimed at girl from Disney and it would have been nice to see it succeed. But I saw this coming and it looks as if it won't earn back it's money domestically, it may still do so world wide though.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    But I saw this coming and it looks as if it won't earn back it's money domestically, it may still do so world wide though.
    I doubt it. Much as I personally like John Carter, he doesn't have the audience pulling power of Tarzan; he's virtually unknown to the general public worldwide.