Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

You should see the love we're getting over at our official Twitter for The Shadow #1, it's been off the charts! I've been retweeting and responding to as many Tweets as possible, but there is just so many that it makes me think sales should be pretty damn good for the first issue!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

So, The Shadow #1 is a success, Twitter is blowing up, CBR is blowing up, fans seem to be clamouring to the book.....

Do we get an official Shadow forum? Just figured I'd ask....

I'm on my 3rd read-through of the #1 issue so far, I plan to read it once more as soon as I have the 2nd issue in my hands.
    Hoping Dynamite keeps pushing PULP!

Default The Spider #1 (spoilers)

Well, I got this issue in my mailbox today from my mail away comic company and sat down to read it this afternoon and man......this was BETTER than The Shadow #1 in my opinion! I loved how callous The Spider is, in one scene he ask's himself what gave him the right to kill the scum he was killing, and his answer was pretty damn blunt, it gave me chills down my spine. The interior art is okay, nothing spectacular but every bit as good as The Shadow, but the story was just so more engaging and really kept me flipping the pages until I got to the tragic ending, which sets up the 2nd issue in an epic way.

Home run Dynamite, HOME freakin' RUN!
    Hoping Dynamite keeps pushing PULP!

My expectations were already pretty high after seeing a 6-page preview (sans dialogue) for this, but I couldn't be prepared for how good a book this really was. I was prepared to be a little critical of the "updating" of a 1930s/40s character, but this created a perfect alternate world that was simultaneously modern and retro, very dark, noir and pulpy, with nothing to specifically tie it to the past (except maybe zeppelins and fedoras).

Coulton Worley did an amazing job on the artwork here, and I can't wait to read more of David Liss' story. In the space of a single issue, this is already zooming to the top of my favorites list. Loved the updating of the movie serial look (as opposed to the old pulp cover look); it works perfectly for this character.

Usually I don't, but this time I got all four covers. Hope this is a HUGE hit for Dynamite. I think this would still appeal to a wide range of readers who aren't normally into the pulp/retro-hero thing, so get the word out, and tell all of your comic reading friends! It is dark, VERY dark, but that sort of thing seems to be pretty popular today, so it should do quite well, provided people hear about it and are willing to give it a try.

I read this when I got my comp last Saturday and like everyone else, I really enjoyed it quite a bit. The last page was kind of shocking with the kid's head being blown to bits but it certainly gives us something to look forward to next issue and I'm chomping at the bit to find out who was on the other end of the phone toward the end of the issue. Also, you have got to love his "kill them all" attitude, I love heroes with no rules and The Spider has the look and the story to be a real hit with comic fans, especially ones who may walk by this on the stands and buy it off of the look of the hero alone.

I had to laugh when someone on Twitter claimed Dynamite was ripping off Spider-Man with The Spider, I had to correct him and let him know The Spider was created almost 30 years prior to the ol' web slinger.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

To describe this comic as incredible would be an understatement. Insta-add to the pull list.

Yeah I added it to my list. It's a nice change of pass to have a violent hero not try and justify what he does. Not real high on the art but it was better then some I've seen.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

I liked the art a lot, felt it went well with this kind of story but probably not for a spandex superhero story. Loved the story too and the ending was what the dynamite twitter promised, it was really cliffhanging with the head blowing up and the mysterios phone call.

CRACK OF THE BAT homerun!
    Loving Kirby Genesis, Silver Star, Dragonsbane, and Captain Victory from day 1. Dynamite/Kirby = FUN!

The creative team on Twitter have said they want to do more than 5 issues. The sell out of issue 1 is a great start, but lets shout from the rooftops just how good this comic is. I've added it to my pull list and want to see stood run of issues.

I didn't know it was only planned to go 5 issues. (I guess "Let's just see how it goes" is DE's standard policy.) It would be great if they could keep David and Colton on the book forever. If they're just going to replace them with another creative team, maybe they should just end it, and let me keep the fond memories.