Thread: Vampirella #16 - That's what I'm talking about!!

Default Vampirella #16 - That's what I'm talking about!!

Wow. Dynamite is finally doing the kind of job I was hoping for when they purchased Vampirella. I'm blown away by how much Eric has done with what is still the 1-D Harris Vampirella. I'm REALLY looking forward to each new issue. I know this is probably just a kickass vacation and soon we'll have to return to the bleak reality imposed by said 1-D Vampi, but for now I am very happy with this.

This entire arc has been top form, even the issues I wasn't that impressed with at the time. Here's what I like:

• The adept linkage to the old Harris stories, and in a way that makes them fresh (and using the cards could have been a nice bit of head faking (think Queen of Hearts), if the Previews ads hadn't given things away)
    • Good prose
    • Realistic dialog. I played with some of that comic-writing software a few years ago for entertainment and couldn't believe how hard it was to deal with those damn balloons! I have great respect for anyone who can tell the story, keep the dialog real, and not cover up the action!
    • The art was spectacular, the perfect compliment to the writing. Berkenkotter is a great horror artist and I'm sure he'll be lured away to greener pastures far too soon.
    • The return of a top shelf villain. This is truly exciting & a little nerve-wracking; I hope VK isn't as harsh to Vampirella as he was in the past - she's been through enough!

Speaking of harsh, that pretty much sums up my past criticisms of Eric's work. For that I sincerely apologize (though I have to say, where were you?!). Writing this story would be enough of an accomplishment, but to do it while also writing Red Sonja is particularly impressive. Bravo!

The only thing that could make this better is if the covers actually tied into the storyline. I've seen the explanation for why Dynamite uses generic covers but If they release a trade paper compilation of this - and they should - they should commission a custom cover.

And one last thing -- this really wouldn't have worked without the costume! };->

Quote Originally Posted by rlvaugh View Post
    Speaking of harsh, that pretty much sums up my past criticisms of Eric's work. For that I sincerely apologize (though I have to say, where were you?!).
    Setting all this up.

-E
    ---
    Eric Trautmann
    Writer/editor/graphic-designer/smart-alec
    www.erictrautmann.us

Quote Originally Posted by rlvaugh View Post
    I'm blown away by how much Eric has done with what is still the 1-D Harris Vampirella. I'm REALLY looking forward to each new issue. I know this is probably just a kickass vacation and soon we'll have to return to the bleak reality imposed by said 1-D Vampi, but for now I am very happy with this.
    Whattaya mean, 1-D??? She's at least Double D !

Quote Originally Posted by eric_trautmann View Post
    Setting all this up.

-E
    Which incidentally explains why I've been so harsh
    I still am not overtly friendly with stories going over many issues; as I remarked earlier,
    the Warren fans were already bitching after only one "to be continued". (And I am an
    stone-old Warren fan, naturally.) Nevertheless, now you let the werecat out of the bag,
    and I must say: excellent choice of baddie. Hope your rendering of von Kreist in
    Ye ACME Conclusion gives us the same charming a$&#%le as in the past.
    (Or for Vampis better, hope not )

It is a drag to go into a comic store knowing you have to wait 3 more weeks for the next Vampirella. It's a bigger drag when you discover there was no shipment at all because the truck broke down in New York! Doh!

Default I <3 Vampirella & D.E.

Vampirella #17 & 18 beautiful comic & story.

Quote Originally Posted by helwen View Post
    Vampirella #17 & 18 beautiful comic & story.
    I second that in spades for #18. (A highlight was the Dude Made From Rats. )
    One of the best issues by Eric yet.
    Forgot already, though, what 17 was about. No good sign , probably the closure of
    the last arc. In the meantime I finally understood what the arcs are about - it's not
    that arcs are especially suited for Eric in particular or comics in general, it's just
    about Dynamite being able to sell the same dohickey a second time as a TPB
    (It would be interesting to know the percentages of money dividing on the several
    stages of producing a comic - cover, story, art, printing, distribution, wages and
    bribes to Satan Anyone knowing approximate values?)

hhaahhahaaaa

you never change
    Live your dream not your history! We are the world's storytellers. We are mythmakers, the architects of legend! - Joe Q.
    ---------------------------------
    Boom Art Department
    ---------------------------------
    I AM dead!! TWICE