Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shadow series MEGATHREAD!

Default The Shadow #1 contest

All of the hard work, all of the preparation, The Shadow #1 is in stores. It’s surreal for us at Dynamite. And we hope that you and your customers are enjoying the comics. We at Dynamite have gotten incredible attention for this week’s release of The Shadow #1 from such retailers as Cliff Biggers of Dr. No's, Tate from Tate's Comics, Midtown Comics, Larry's Comics, Fat Jack's Comic Crypt, and Ralph from Jet Pack Comics and many more! They have also expressed their happiness on our getting the hand-drawn sketch covers by Alex Ross and Jae Lee in time to be in stores with issue #1.

And for those retailers who did not hit the threshold to qualify for these incentives, we have an AMAZING contest below that will reward the top 10 retailers who create the BEST Shadow displays to sell copies of the comics. We want to encourage everyone to support us, and again, will reward all retailers who do!

To qualify, please send your display pictures, as well as information to your store, to both retailers@dynamicforces.com and gandrew@diamondcomics.com!

Check out some of the displays that have already been created!

Ultimate Comics display!!!

Name:  TNUltimateComicsDisplay2_041812.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  84.8 KB

Jetpack Comics LLC display!!!

Name:  TNJetPackComicsDisplay_041812.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  81.6 KB

I am going to give this a thumb's up. Like positronic, I prefer the original pulp novels (and really, you could spend a few decades just doing comic book adaptations of all of them!), but this take on the character is (so far) acceptable. I don't really like the mystical slant on the character, but so far it is not too obnoxious and can always be down played in later issues. As positronic said, the name checks for Moe Shrevnitz and Harry Vincent were welcome.

Actually my biggest gripe is a scene where the Shadow is shooting some foes and they are depicted being shot multiple times (both torso and head shots). No, no, no. The Shadow is a better shot than that and he does not waste his limited ammunition. One head shot, and no need to shoot the bodies any more. One shot through the heart and no need to blow away the head as well. He should not be depicted doing violence for the sake of a colorful splash page. He is an efficient killing machine. The pulp novels have regular scenes where he runs out of bullets and needs to use one of his back-up guns (I think he always carries a minimum of four--but if positronic corrects me, I accept that I could be wrong). He doesn't waste bullets when he can help it.

But that is a trivial gripe. Like TheReader said, sign me up for issue #2!
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets....I'm an old man now." --The Fighting Yank

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    The Shadow will be a BIG hit for DE - so shouldn't this title have it's own forum here on the boards?
    Check out the "Forum Update" thread.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets....I'm an old man now." --The Fighting Yank

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Actually my biggest gripe is a scene where the Shadow is shooting some foes and they are depicted being shot multiple times (both torso and head shots). No, no, no. The Shadow is a better shot than that and he does not waste his limited ammunition. One head shot, and no need to shoot the bodies any more. One shot through the heart and no need to blow away the head as well. He should not be depicted doing violence for the sake of a colorful splash page. He is an efficient killing machine. The pulp novels have regular scenes where he runs out of bullets and needs to use one of his back-up guns (I think he always carries a minimum of four--but if positronic corrects me, I accept that I could be wrong). He doesn't waste bullets when he can help it.
    Good catch, I was so busy noticing all the other changes that I did not count the bullets. You're right about the 4 guns (although he lost some on occasion), and he probably had extra clips as well, although I can't recall a specific instance. One thing I did like about that scene though, is that while the rest of the gang dies in a hail of bullets, the one man who surrendered was spared. Shows the difference between The Shadow, and say, The Punisher (or The Spider, for that matter). Also proves that The Shadow is not just pumping lead in the general direction of his massed foes, but is able to shoot around the one man he considered redeemable. But you're right, The Shadow wouldn't waste ammunition -- one shot per thug is all he needs. I got the feeling that was more the artist's choice than Ennis' script. The Shadow doesn't revel in killing his foes, but neither does he have any hesitation or regrets about killing in the course of his mission. The victims of The Shadow's guns are necessary deaths who represent an immediate deadly threat to The Shadow or someone else.
    Last edited by positronic; 04-20-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Read it last night. Yeah the opening sdene was a little over the top and I'm not sure I care for his treatment of Margo. There was an annoying coloring mistake in the cafe scene were Pat's suit went from green to gray and his hair to black from red making him look like Lamont. at the start of the radio should he did have limited mind reading powers and I think the man he was reaching for at the end of the first scene was dying and not dead. The glimpses of the future is just weird.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

I've had my copy since last week and I was really blown away by how much fun I had reading this book, its my first introduction to this character and Garth Ennis made it more than a pleasent one. I loved the scene where The Shadow was shooting everyone in that crowd and blood was flying everywhere, I heard pulp heroes were violent and I guess The Shadow was one of the leaders of the pack, lol, it was truly awesome stuff.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

I like the fact that it's not the exact Pulp version of The Shadow, I think they need to twist things up a bit instead of just doing a carbon copy of what's come before and I'm very happy with how Dynamite has handled almost all of their characters, especially the Pulp heroes. I've read so many complain about this character or that character and how it's nothing like the comics they grew up with and blah blah blah, I'm just glad that Dynamite has the balls to tweak things up and try something original from time to time.

As for The Shadow #1, it was well worth the wait! Amazing art and a fun and easy to follow story led this bad boy into "fun" status with me, probably my favorite Ennis since Hitman back in the 90's, but then again I wasn't a fan of a lot of Ennis' work back then.
    Hoping Dynamite keeps pushing PULP!

Default Shadow on Fresh Ink

I don't know how many people are familiar with Blair Butler and Fresh Ink on G4 but this week Shadow was one of the recommendations on the web show.

They also presented a Barsoom (John Carter of Mars) comic but I don't think it was a Dynamite one.

Still, Fresh Ink is a great way to hear about new series... Check it out.

Shame on you for not posting the link to Fresh Ink!

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58261/mor...ojects-shadow/

This is the longer online version (16 minutes). If you want to skip the other reviews and get right to The Shadow, it's 9:35 into the video.

Finally picked up my copy yesterday, and I loved it. Ennis is a bit hit-and-miss for me, usually I either really like or utterly loathe his stuff with no real middle ground, but happily The Shadow, based on this first first issue, falls firmly into the first category. As for the changes to the character, well, I've read a couple of the original novels but my main exposure to the Shadow is from the previous comics, so nothing here really grated for me. Loved the scene where he spared Muller while shooting everyone around him, simply because Muller had put his gun down.
    Last edited by tony ingram; 04-25-2012 at 08:53 AM.