Page 90 of 143 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter View Post
    and less clothes to Dejah Thoris.
    And, especially, less clothes to John Carter. That stupid massive kilt took away a lot of my interest in that move.

Default :)

hey..

its a great book..just love it!
    Last edited by Awearo; 07-07-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Considering it was supposed to come out in April, and it's not in the solicits for August, I am worried...

according to my sources .. . . next week

hey . . . there is no title for this issue

all of the issues of this series have had titles up until this point . . .

the last issue was "whispers in the dark" this issue didnt have a title . . . that makes me sad :'(

Finally got to see the film on DVD (local theaters only showed it twice a day, at the most inconvenient times). I thought it was really good. It did stray from the book, but not in a way that made me say "that's not right." I was able to sit back and enjoy the ride like when I watched "Star Wars" as a kid. It's really too bad that the movie was mis-marketed so terribly, because it is a really enjoyable sci-fi fantasy film the likes of which are not made anymore. All the kids even liked it and have been playing "John Carter" for the last few days.

if you liked the movie . . .I think you will like this

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ic-d53glcd.png

this is the official map released by disney for their variation of barsoom

some of the changes are groan-worthy . . . buuuuut any map of an alien world THIS HUGE is awesome!

Nice.
    Thanks for the link, Ralok.

They made some major changes here, starting with placing the Valley Dor in the crater of Olympus Mons. Will study this in greater detail later when I have the reference materials (Burroughs' and the topographic Mars map) handy.

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    Nice.
    Thanks for the link, Ralok.

They made some major changes here, starting with placing the Valley Dor in the crater of Olympus Mons. Will study this in greater detail later when I have the reference materials (Burroughs' and the topographic Mars map) handy.
    I have done a bit of studyinh myself. . . some of hte locations seem placed fine . . . others it is very questionable . .. other itimes it seems like they just rotated the barsoomian locations :P

they also mispelled tjanath, aaanthor, and gathol . . .

it is a bit groan-worthy. . . but at the same time, I acknowledge the movie is a different universe . . . and literally this is the best map of an alien planet I have EVER seen, so even though it isnt barsoom . . . it is still an awesome map of an alien planet . . . and as a science fiction fan . . . I cant say no XD

Look at it this way. We've learned a lot about the real Mars in 100 years. Burroughs was basing his map on Percival Lowell's Martian maps, complete with canals, etc. The movie producers chose to try to retrofit Burroughs' map to the known features of the planet as it exists today.

Come to think of it, an overlay of Lowell's map of the canals on top of the real Mars map would be an interesting thing. There's also an altitude map/globe made by MOLA (Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter) that shows the various low lying areas in deep blue, shallower areas in green etc., giving a nice impression of what Mars might have looked like with oceans and seas.

Name:  mars_topo_small.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  90.9 KB
    Last edited by positronic; 06-14-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling