Thread: White Apes of Mars

Default White Apes of Mars

I dont know, this series doesnt have much going for it right now.

it doesnt seem to be anything but gratuitous violence and hot women (there was several but grabs between women in the second issue)

This series seems the most distant from ERBs vision of mars, which while it did have violence and naked women it was not about those thigns, and always had dignity . . .

This series is playing out like a cheap slasher movie rather than a romantic vision of mars.

I hope the story improves in the final three issues, but so far it is very "Meh" compared to the other miniseries in the warlord of mars series

Yeah I am a fan of the DE warlord of Mars series, But this one I have left on the shelf. I have read thru the 1st book by ERB Warlord of Mars and started the 2nd Princess of Mars. I agree there seems to be no thought of naked women or but grabbing in the ERB books. When you read the books (Nudity) is woven into the story, a story that is more intresting than any mention of nakedness. I looked at book one Dejah Thoris and the White Apes, then looked at book two this week and was glad I passes on this these. I ,like many comic book fans, can tell when a company is just trying to grab a few extra bucks from it's readers, THIS IS ONE OF THOSE TIMES! So on this one I will keep my extra dollars and use them on something else in the future. I hope DE can stay focused on what is good not just spin off all the time wanting to flood the market with things that do not hold up.

that is one of the most interesting things about ERBs mars, the fact that everyone is naked but they never make a big deal about it!

One thing I find odd about the white apes is that it feels really drawn out compared to the other mini-series

it definitly feels like the story would be better suited for an annual than spread out over 5 issues
    Last edited by Ralok; 05-12-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Five issues? The description for issue four reads: "The harrowing horror epic's explosive conclusion!"

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Five issues? The description for issue four reads: "The harrowing horror epic's explosive conclusion!"
    huh . . . that is going to be a thing TPB

maybe they will include the first annual to bolster it!

Passed on this one as well even though I really like the art. Have been trimming down my Warlord of Mars pull list and this one and the Warriors of Mars series were the unlucky ones.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/boards/signaturepics/sigpic39264_1.gif')

I was browsing the comiXology app and saw this series.... thought about getting it, read the preview pages, then figured... "why not?" For $10 all in, it's no big deal.

Overall, across 4 issues, it's not a bad story.

The start is slow, bordering on silly. However, I can abide a mediocre story if the art is good, and that's one point, at least, where these issues deliver. Visually these books are a lot nicer to look at than the main Dejah Thoris series. As for the story, like Ralok said.... it's a slasher movie story, definitely not a romantic vision.

The "girls night out" premise of #1 got a chuckle or two from me. I mean, how many times did someone mention bringing drinks? And oh yeah... you kids can catch up in a day or two. We'll get everything ready before you arrive. (Now where the drinks?) And the gossip. "Tell us Dejah Thoris all about John Carter. Is his prowess so awesome in all things?"

Seriously? LOL

And then the apes showed up.
    Last edited by RaceAddict; 08-20-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comichero View Post
    I have read thru the 1st book by ERB Warlord of Mars and started the 2nd Princess of Mars. I agree there seems to be no thought of naked women or but grabbing in the ERB books. When you read the books (Nudity) is woven into the story, a story that is more intresting than any mention of nakedness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralok View Post
    that is one of the most interesting things about ERBs mars, the fact that everyone is naked but they never make a big deal about it!
    Burroughs' completely matter-of-fact, and non-sexual, portrayal of nudity in his books (both the Barsoom novels, and the Tarzan novels) is a pretty strong indication that he was a nudist (or naturist... call 'em what you will), or at least was well educated about the notion. Like you said Ralok... once the observation is made that someone's naked, it doesn't really come up again unless it's relevant to the story (cold being one case I recall). In his vision of this advanced civilization it seems that people view clothes as they would any other tool... you use 'em when you need 'em, and not when you don't.

Funnily enough, three books into the series, the only people I can think of that did wear clothes regularly were the therns... who were exposed as frauds.

What I find most interesting is that in a comic series that is clearly labelled "Mature" on the cover it's totally okay to show people graphically getting rent in pieces, torn limb from limb by 4-armed apes... even "non-combatant" women getting violently sliced open, and then left to bleed out as a means to slow down the apes... but showing an actual nipple is taboo. Golden nipple jewellery is ok, but not an actual flesh-coloured nipple.

Just sayin'...