Page 97 of 143 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

The colorists have been really inconsistent, though, now that you bring it up. Sometimes the red martians look properly reddish, other times nearly indistinguishable from John Carter. Tharks have similar variation in coloration. Wish they'd just prepare a color guide and stick to it. Arguably there's much less excuse for this than the rotating artists.

I was browsing the comiXology app and saw this series.... thought about getting it, read the preview pages, then figured... "why not?" For $10 all in, it's no big deal.

Overall, across 4 issues, it's not a bad story.

The start is slow, bordering on silly. However, I can abide a mediocre story if the art is good, and that's one point, at least, where these issues deliver. Visually these books are a lot nicer to look at than the main Dejah Thoris series. As for the story, like Ralok said.... it's a slasher movie story, definitely not a romantic vision.

The "girls night out" premise of #1 got a chuckle or two from me. I mean, how many times did someone mention bringing drinks? And oh yeah... you kids can catch up in a day or two. We'll get everything ready before you arrive. (Now where the drinks?) And the gossip. "Tell us Dejah Thoris all about John Carter. Is his prowess so awesome in all things?"

Seriously? LOL

And then the apes showed up.
    Last edited by RaceAddict; 08-20-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comichero View Post
    I have read thru the 1st book by ERB Warlord of Mars and started the 2nd Princess of Mars. I agree there seems to be no thought of naked women or but grabbing in the ERB books. When you read the books (Nudity) is woven into the story, a story that is more intresting than any mention of nakedness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralok View Post
    that is one of the most interesting things about ERBs mars, the fact that everyone is naked but they never make a big deal about it!
    Burroughs' completely matter-of-fact, and non-sexual, portrayal of nudity in his books (both the Barsoom novels, and the Tarzan novels) is a pretty strong indication that he was a nudist (or naturist... call 'em what you will), or at least was well educated about the notion. Like you said Ralok... once the observation is made that someone's naked, it doesn't really come up again unless it's relevant to the story (cold being one case I recall). In his vision of this advanced civilization it seems that people view clothes as they would any other tool... you use 'em when you need 'em, and not when you don't.

Funnily enough, three books into the series, the only people I can think of that did wear clothes regularly were the therns... who were exposed as frauds.

What I find most interesting is that in a comic series that is clearly labelled "Mature" on the cover it's totally okay to show people graphically getting rent in pieces, torn limb from limb by 4-armed apes... even "non-combatant" women getting violently sliced open, and then left to bleed out as a means to slow down the apes... but showing an actual nipple is taboo. Golden nipple jewellery is ok, but not an actual flesh-coloured nipple.

Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by manga4life View Post
    Lord of the Jungle #5 was fantastic, but #6 did feel like it was a "fast forward" of sorts and I don't really like seeing Tarzan in a civilized setting regardless of whether it happened in the source material or not. Hopefully it doesn't last and he's back in the jungle soon enough.
    Well... it's bound to be a shock to some people whose main impression of Tarzan comes from decades of unfaithful movie adaptations. But ERB's Tarzan really does spend time in England, France and other parts of Africa that are not in the jungle (and later, on his own expansive plantation in Africa) in the books. Eventually he fights in both WWI and WWII. Yes, he always does seem to make it back to the jungle during his adventures, and to many lost civilizations besides Opar, in the ensuing books. But after the first book, he really doesn't live in the jungle in a tree-house or among the apes as some people seem to think. True, entire issues of Lord Greystoke hanging around civilization are bound to get boring, and maybe the books don't have this problem as you know that he's going to eventually make his way to the jungle or some lost land at some point. But I don't want DE's version to start re-writing ERB's books completely.

Default Uh Oh...

Well, a lot of people aren't going to be happy with the new issue (#7). It's more of Tarzan in the toils of early 20th century America. His exploits both in Africa and here have garnered him some unwanted celebrity from the newspapers, he's lost Jane to his cousin Cecil (for the nonce), and must now work to earn money to buy his passage back to Africa. In the meantime he runs afoul of the villain Canwell again. This whole sequence seems too drawn-out, and I wish they'd move the story along and get out of America. Preferably back to Africa, but even England or France would be acceptable at this point. Unfortunately it looks like this situation will continue for another issue (at least). Anyone looking to save a few bucks could probably skip this issue and the next one.

Is Dynamite really deviating from the source material that much?

That's a bit of a shame... the original works are so good!

HORAY THEY FIXED IT

this is one of the best things about Dynamite, you show them they made an error and they are more than happy to fix it or retcon it to be plausible in their work
    Let Disney know, that you want to go Back To Barsoom.

Default Yikes! No regular Warlord of Mars in December?

Just saw December solicits and I only see the Dejah Thoris series. What happened to the regular one?

That's nothing. Queen Sonja hasn't been mentioned in solicits since July. As far as I know it hasn't been cancelled.

The solicits aren't very accurate: Red Sonja #69 was in the April 2012 solicit and wont be released until sometime in October.

Hmmm. Perhaps things have been delayed for several series. I don't follow Queen Sonja, so I hadn't noticed...