Page 96 of 143 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

I agree, they are wonderful to read. However it was just the other way for me. I started with the DE Warlord of Mars comics (only because Joe Jusko was doing the covers.) After reading a few of those comics and seeing what others on this forum were saying about the original ERB books, I decided to get the books for myself. I am glad I did. I am also glad DE started this line of comics, because without that chances are I would never had read these books.

Don't forget there are still another 8 books in ERB's Barsoom series. John Carter is not the main character in all of these books, but they certainly do expand the scope and cast of the world of Barsoom. My personal favorites were The Chessmen of Mars and The Master Mind of Mars.

Funny you should mention romance, because in the days when ERB was writing these, before the term "science fiction" was settled upon as the universal descriptor for the genre, one of the terms in usage was "scientific romance". Back in those days, "romance" was a much broader term that wasn't just limited to our current understanding of it as a synonym for "love story". Swashbucklers and adventure stories fell into the general category of romances.

yeah I have the next two, Thuvia, Maid of Mars, The Chessmen of Mars. I will be starting them soon. should be a great read for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by comichero View Post
    it's a shame that they keep switching artist, I mean if that is the case when will we get a few issues done by Alex Ross? or a one shot by Frank Cho?
    We could always dream right? Or a full Joe Jusko annual, or even better a story arc.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/boards/signaturepics/sigpic39264_1.gif')

I think it's 11 total in the Barsoom series, right? And something like 22 Tarzan books? Plus the other novels he wrote too... so much good stuff to read.

It's never good when a title is playing duck, duck, goose with artists, I hope someone settles down within the job and takes over for an extended run.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    It's never good when a title is playing duck, duck, goose with artists, I hope someone settles down within the job and takes over for an extended run.
    Amen. I care more about this than if there is a Thark in panel #9 of page 11 that shouldn't be there or a character was colored too dark in a couple of pages.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/boards/signaturepics/sigpic39264_1.gif')

11 books in the Mars series. Fair warning on the last book, John Carter of Mars:

It contains 2 stories. The first, "John Carter and the Giant of Mars", contains enough glaring inconsistencies with the rest of the Mars canon that its authorship is dubious. The basic story is identical to an earlier published Big Little Book. Possibly this was expanded for publication in Amazing Stories by either John Coleman Burroughs or editor Raymond Palmer.

The second story is "The Skeleton Men of Jupiter". This was intended to be the opening story in a tetralogy (four interlinked novelettes) that would have later been collected as a book (an earlier book in the Mars series, Llana of Gathol, had already been generated using this plan). As such, it is sort-of self-contained, yet still has tantalizing dangling plot-threads that were never realized by ERB in his lifetime.

I have read all of the books several times . . . I am a bit nuts XD

they are really fun, hard to pick out my favorite though . . . chessmen of mars, gods of mars, or fightning men of mars . . . I cant decide
    Let Disney know, that you want to go Back To Barsoom.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter View Post
    Amen. I care more about this than if there is a Thark in panel #9 of page 11 that shouldn't be there or a character was colored too dark in a couple of pages.
    those issues are symptomatic of this greater problem I would think
    Let Disney know, that you want to go Back To Barsoom.