Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we bring Thundarr to DE?

Default Can we bring Thundarr to DE?

it's long past time Thundarr the barbarian gets
    a monthly comic book. Here is a chance to get the ball rolling that way!

http://www.petitiononline.com/petiti...cmx/signatures

Come on DE readers!
    Pull list: Warlord of Mars, Red Sonja Graphic Novels

I don't know why you think Warner Bros is somehow turning interested comic book publishers away or somehow withholding the rights because they consider comic books beneath them or something. It's not as if the WB legal dept. can just pick up the phone and call up Dynamite or IDW or Dark Horse or Image and demand that they publish a Thundarr the Barbarian comic book. Not that I particularly believe that petitions work, but shouldn't you be addressing your petition to Dynamite or IDW?

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    I don't know why you think Warner Bros is somehow turning interested comic book publishers away or somehow withholding the rights because they consider comic books beneath them or something. It's not as if the WB legal dept. can just pick up the phone and call up Dynamite or IDW or Dark Horse or Image and demand that they publish a Thundarr the Barbarian comic book. Not that I particularly believe that petitions work, but shouldn't you be addressing your petition to Dynamite or IDW?

Hey DE,

Thundarr the Barbarian was a great Kirby designed cartoon series! As a concept, it combines the road-warrior situation with modern commentary of society with some sorcery/science fantastic fiction. As a teenager, it was humorous and exciting. It would be great if we could see the origin story hinted at in the opening credits (breaking away from slavery/gladiatorial imprisonment and gaining the fabulous Sun Sword). DE would do this series justice! Please consider exploring rights to bring Thundarr to your fine stable of comics!

Blinky

Maybe petitions do not work but maybe exploring the options might work!

Um... if Warner Brothers owns Thundarr, wouldn't they just publish him themselves through DC?

Quote Originally Posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Um... if Warner Brothers owns Thundarr, wouldn't they just publish him themselves through DC?
    You might think so, right? Maybe, since they're publishing a Masters of the Universe comic book. After all, that book is also based on an old cartoon series of the same vintage. But Time-Warner/DC Comics doesn't own Masters of the Universe. They license it. What about WB cartoons that DC does publish? Well, there's Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, and Teen Titans GO!, all based on WB-owned cartoon series. Then there are comic books being published based on Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Ben 10, which are all owned by Cartoon Network (which is in turn part of Warner Bros), but those are being published by IDW. And there are comic books of other Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show, that are being published by BOOM! Studios. Why are those WB-owned series being licensed to other comic book companies when WB already owns a comic book company of its own? I suspect the answer must be that DC Comics expressed no interest in publishing comic book series based on those properties. You might even be pretty sure that if a book featuring Superman or Batman comics was going to be published, DC Comics would be the only company to do it. Yet IDW has published, in the last year, hardcover collections of Superman and Batman newspaper strip comics. You can draw your own conclusions.

For the record I did not start the petition, I just came across it while searching for thundarr online. I thought I would bring it here to DE fourms, for any fans (of Thundarr) who might find it worthy of discussion. Seems like there has been some good input here, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by comichero View Post
    For the record I did not start the petition, I just came across it while searching for thundarr online. I thought I would bring it here to DE fourms, for any fans (of Thundarr) who might find it worthy of discussion. Seems like there has been some good input here, thanks
    Point taken. I'm not trying to be negative here, just realistic. If some comic book company were to publish a Thundarr the Barbarian comic book, I'd be likely to buy it, unless it looked absolutely terrible. But it would seem a shame if someone went to the trouble to start a petition, and then just blindly spammed it out to "Warner Brothers Entertainment", where it might most likely be read by some lower-level functionary whose probable initial reaction might be "What the heck is 'Thundarr'? Is that something we own?", and that was the end of it. Someone at Warner Entertainment's merchandising rights licensing division's reaction to the question "Why isn't there a Thundarr the Barbarian comic book?" would probably be "Well, no comic book company has asked us yet." It's ridiculous to pin your hopes on the unrealistic notion that the president of Warner Entertainment (or even the head of the merchandising rights division) is going to read your petition personally, pick up the phone, and call Dan Didio, publisher of DC Comics, and say "Look, I've got a petition here with 1000 names (assuming you could get that many) on it, requesting a Thundarr the Barbarian comic book. I want you to put it on your publishing schedule right now." Even if by some miracle that happened, what's he going to say if Dan Didio assures him "It'll never sell, trust me"? Or the equally silly notion that someone in the merchandising rights licensing division is going to be assigned the task of compiling a list of phone numbers of every comic book publisher in America, and then go down the list calling them one by one, asking them if they're interested in publishing a Thundarr comic book. It's just not how things work.

So no, you need to take your case to the comic book publishers themselves. And why stop at sending it to one comic book company? Send it to more than one. My suggestions would be:

Dynamite (WHY: DE bases a good deal of their publishing schedule on licensed properties, particularly older ones that haven't been used in comics in quite some time: Zorro, Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, The Shadow, Dark Shadows, Six Million Dollar Man, Voltron),

IDW (WHY: Again, a history of publishing licensed "nostalgia" properties like G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Ghostbusters, which are also cartoons of similar vintage, PLUS we already know they are licensing some properties from Warner, so they clearly know what channels to go through), and

DC Comics (WHY: As a division of Warner, if DC wanted to publish a Thundarr comic, they'd most likely be given preference to the license over a competing company - but ONLY if DC clearly wanted it; whether DC would be interested is a more iffy proposition, since their track record of publishing similar material isn't extensive).

As I say, I'd want to make sure to address this thing to someone at a comic book company who is (a) most likely to be receptive to the idea, and (b) most likely to take action to inquire about the rights with Warner. That's far more likely to happen if you can get the thing to the right person, so finding the name of the publisher or the person in charge of licensed comics at that company so that you can address the thing with someone's actual name is going to increase your chances exponentially. If someone happened to read in an interview (or was told at a convention) by someone that works at a comic book company that he was a big fan of Thundarr, so much the better; you already know he's motivated and on your side. Then when an actual comic book company approaches Warner with the idea of licensing a Thundarr comic book, Warner is more likely to take the idea seriously, than if they just got an unsolicited email petition.

I will leave some comments along these lines at the actual site where the petition is posted.
    Last edited by pulphero; 05-10-2014 at 05:57 AM.

And I am not sure I'd want to see the current DC do Thundarr. I mean, on top of the New 52, we have this:

Name:  ohCOMEON.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  99.7 KB

You can't really pin that on the current DC, though. They've been doing stuff like that for 20 years now. It's always the cute little magical imps that suffer.

Name:  Legend of the Dark Mite.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  Thundarr Drawing 1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  97.0 KB this is my drawing of Thundarr the Barbarian from the cartoon series!