Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Damsels

Quote Originally Posted by brickbutler View Post
    is the damsels one shot a stand alone story?
    Yes, our one-shot is a stand alone but it's linked to the history of one of our characters from the main series.

I'm ready for the next issue of Damsels.
    DE Pull List: Black Bat, Damsels, Damsels: Mermaids, Dejah Thoris: Green Men of Mars, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Lady Rawhide, Lords of Mars, Miss Fury, Red Sonja, Red Sonja Legends, Red Sonja Unchained, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Spider, Uncanny , Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris

Quote Originally Posted by cdarlage View Post
    I'm ready for the next issue of Damsels.
    Good news then: it's out next week!

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...emID=DEC121031

Preview pages for #6 over at http://www.moorereppion.com/damsels-6-preview-pages/ (beware spoilers if you're not up to speed with the series thus far)

Thumbs up

Just read #6. Man, I can't say enough good things about this series. Keep them comin' and I will keep on buyin'.
    DE Pull List: Black Bat, Damsels, Damsels: Mermaids, Dejah Thoris: Green Men of Mars, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Lady Rawhide, Lords of Mars, Miss Fury, Red Sonja, Red Sonja Legends, Red Sonja Unchained, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Spider, Uncanny , Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris

Quote Originally Posted by cdarlage View Post
    Just read #6. Man, I can't say enough good things about this series. Keep them comin' and I will keep on buyin'.
    My sentiments exactly. For some reason my store doesn't have issue 7 yet and I'm actually getting sort of pissed because the guy who does my pull list never remembers to put my books in..

Anyhow, I haven't been on the forum for a while, so I'd like to touch on Issue #5.

Issue #5 of Damsels, a comic book, made me a better person. That is a heavy statement. I've said before, some stories have a good writer, or a good artist, or this or that. Damsels is wonderfully written, wonderfully illustrated, and when they meet, the effect is not awesomeness x 2 , its awesomeness^2.

The mermaid's scene in Issue 5 was incredibly powerful. I was both understanding of the prince's terror at the knife wielding mutant in his chambers, and completely heart broken for the mermaid. She comes across as delusional but in way that makes you want a happy ending for her. I love the narration as she makes her bargain, dolls herself up for the ball, and waits for the next one, the power of her dialogue "That was it for you, wasn't it? "Happily ever after"? Is that what you think?.

I love how the image of her switches from a classic princess to scales , sharp teeth ect, I love the fact that even like that the character is handled in a way that it is endearing not terrifying or disgusting.

That scene was done so masterfully that I actually learned something about empathy from reading it lol, was she perhaps naive? yes. Did she give up a lot and make a terrible decision to be with the handsome (if extremely dull) prince? yes. I read that scene, took a smoke break on my patio, came back and said "Dude....why don't you love her man.." lol.

I was thinking that it was so odd that as a man that scene was so powerful to me, but the way it is done it resonates on a primal level to the reader, whether man or woman. I think perhaps anybody regardless of gender can related to a degree about where she is comming from.

1000 years from now, when the radioactive cockroach overlords are sifting through the remains of our civilization, I hope they find a copy of Damsels, It may grant them a port of humanity.

cdarlage, it's a deal!

James, wow man. Thanks so much. So glad that scene worked so well for you, mate.

Issue #7 isn't out until the 22nd so don't panic - you haven't missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reppion View Post
    cdarlage, it's a deal!

James, wow man. Thanks so much. So glad that scene worked so well for you, mate.

Issue #7 isn't out until the 22nd so don't panic - you haven't missed it.
    I'll consider your deal with cdarlage to apply to me as well.

Few Things"

1. Believe it or not I know that you are a busy man and I appreciate that you check this forum and I think that is very...solid..of you. As far as my last post I laughed at myself after posting it. "I just crossed the line from avid fan to obsessed". Its true though, I read a lot of books, epic fantasy is my favorite genre and I've read countless series from writers well known and unknown. Sometimes you can read thousands of pages before you get a scene that really connects with you. Damsels does it all the time,It connects in different ways and its a comic book that only has 6 issues so far. The end of issue 2 where the wyrm shatters the still stone-cursed priest, Obviously different from the issue 5 scene, but just a superbly written and executed scene...

2. You actually did put my mind at ease when you said I hadn't missed #7, I work nights and i've been picking up overtime, days blur together. In my mind I had missed a giant sized one shot and like 10 issues of Damsels

3. Simon Bowland and Ivan Nunes, I've made so much of you, Leah and Aneke That it must seem I haven't considered their work (it also must seem like I think any of you are overly concerned with what i've considered). Lettering is like playing bass in a metal band (I did, we sucked..) When a good letterer is doing a good job, well, they sink into the background, they are conducive to the story being told, not their to distract from it imo

Generally they get more attention when they do a terrible job, and letter something that makes your eyes feel like puking, Occasionally, a letterer , like a bassist, will come along, who has the perfect feel for what is being done, and knows how to add their own touch without being over the top (like this post) or distracting. Take your pick of any of the multitude of Marvel super hero comics, I read several, and compare the lettering I just can't help but feel a lot of those styles would take away from Damsels.

Ivan Nunes rocks. plain and simple, was checking him out in Damsels Mermaids too. In the main Damsels, Much like Aneke's beautiful illustrations compliment your story, Ivans colors do the same for her illustrations...I wish Ivan Nunes colored real life.

Absolutely right, Ivan and Simon are both legends and really important members of the Damsels team. Ivan also coloured our Dynamite zombie series Raise the Dead back in the dim and distant past.

So, Damsels 7 is out NOW!!! Preview pages over on moorereppion.com (as always)

Default Damsels #7

I was really trying to let another reader get a word in before I jumped right back into this. Oh well.
    ***SPOILERS!?***
    Would you be surprised if I said I loved issue 7? In order to cut down on my prattle I'll try to condese the things I loved to bullet points.

* Loved the illustration of the swamp witch taking a snooze.
    * The spell the witches used to "seal the deal" was fittingly hypnotic and well written.

*King Oberon's speech, where he talks about "the telling of the story" the whole scene had a awesome feel, and when he talks about the "telling" its almost surreal, brings the story being told together, as well as the theme and feel of the series.

Also that scene was important to me because it Did something that should have been impossible. Make me like an elf. Having grown up on fantasy themed books and rpg's i've come to dislike them as entitled snobby jerks who are overrated/overpowered. I'm sure Oberon is going to get medieval on somebody before its said and done, but thats ok, because at least he can carry on a decent conversation.

Things i'm looking forward to.

*Cant wait to see whats going to happen with Belladonna, she doesn't seem as happy about their agenda as her sisters do, I'm thinking this has to do with the Beast. Caraboss and Gothel have been keeping their princes drugged and dumb (not convinced Aurore wasn't already so) Belladonna seems to genuinely want the Beast to love her, fits the whole "scorned lover" thing.

*Wondering whats going to happen if/when the little mermaid and Belle meet up. Instinctively I say "It will go well, they are all the good guys" But the mermaid is pissed off, and insanely (maybe literally) heartbroken and desperate. I mean she did just straight up stab the guy she loves in the chest..we'll see.

Seven issues and seven home-runs, powerful sorcery indeed!

Question: Do you think you guys you will be at a con or event on the east of coast of the U.S anytime soon (like between Trenton N.J and Atlanta G.A ?) I would love to get an issue of Damsels autographed, I would more then love it but I don't know a word to describe it.

I have a fantasy of having an issue signed by you and Leah, Simon, Ivan, Linsner, Aneke and even Nick Barruci (That is all very unrealistic but fantasys are allowed to be unrealistic). It would be something that I treasured greatly, I would put it in a fancy case, and when I had guest I would show it to them and explain the awesomeness. They would respond with "Man..its a comic..that you read 15 years ago.." to which I respond matter of factly "indeed." Gah, lemme stop.
    Last edited by James; 05-24-2013 at 09:16 PM.