Page 106 of 143 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1422

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

February 27th, to be exact.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

I resisted commenting on this thread until I saw the actual printed comic with dialogue and in its whole context. And it might seem hypocritical since I am agreeing in principle with Psionic Lemmy in another thread re: the lack of sexiness in DE's Vampirella.

But no, Ralok is actually 100% right on this one. There is a playful and healthy sort of sexuality and a dark and sinister sort, and this definitely falls into the latter category - B&D/S&M/torture-rape fantasy/cannibalism. And yeah, I know that DE can get away with whatever they want since ERB Inc has absolutely no say in works based on public domain characters... but that still doesn't make it right.

Truth in advertising: verbatim from Dynamite's Next Issue teaser copy for issue #2: "Things go from bad to dark, hopeless and stomach-churningly gruesome for the Princess of Helium."

No thanks, Dynamite. Not for me. Just one man's opinion.

Removing Dejah Thoris and the Green Men of Mars from my pull list.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

I'm still reading and enjoying this title as well, and I never thought I would ever care about a character like Tarzan.

Keep them comin' DE!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

I feel the need to point out that "B&D/S&M" can indeed be healthy, and does not have to be sinister in the slightest as long as it is safe, sane and consensual.

Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by ChastMastr View Post
    I feel the need to point out that "B&D/S&M" can indeed be healthy, and does not have to be sinister in the slightest as long as it is safe, sane and consensual.

Carry on...
    And what do you see that's "safe, sane and consensual" about about Dejah's situation in this story? This is not "role-playing". In the context of the story, it is "real". Yes, there is a big difference when there is an actual victim. Even when it is a fictional actual victim.

Do I think B&D and S&M is "healthy"? Not really. But what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is none of my business. No victim, no crime.
    Last edited by positronic; 02-24-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    And what do you see that's "safe, sane and consensual" about about Dejah's situation in this story?
    I didn't say there was; I was just taking issue with putting BDSM into the bad/nasty/unhealthy category along with, say, cannibalism.

Even when it is a fictional actual victim.
    I don't think this is the right story for any kind of Dejah Thoris story to be taken seriously, apart from someone's private fan-fiction. Some depictions of non-consent can work in the right and, I hasten to point out, exclusively fictional context.

Do I think B&D and S&M is "healthy"? Not really.
    We're free to disagree on that, obviously. Again, safety, communication, consensuality, etc. are key. I've given demos on doing things safely for various clubs I've been in over the years.

But what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is none of my business. No victim, no crime.
    Appreciated.

I really enjoyed the tone of this book and I'm glad to see harder books being published. It's obviously content not tailored to everyone, but being open to take these kinds of risks is why I give more of my comic book dollars to Dynamite every month.

Yahoo! He's back. (I'm a little behind)

Default Warlord of Mars as of late...

So, how have you all been enjoying WOM as of late? Personally, I've taken to the book more over the past few months and I've found a renewed interest in it, its been a fun read and the art has been great. Any opinions on it as of recently?
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

I'm still reading the main warlord if mars book but not the drjah thoris books. I love warlord of Mars, its one of my monthly top reads!