Thread: New pulp novel THE GOLDEN AGE features Nedor characters from PSP

Default New pulp novel, THE GOLDEN AGE, features Nedor characters from PSP

Name:  Golden_Age_Jeff_Deischer.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  57.8 KB

THE GOLDEN AGE
    Classic Superhero Action
    Now in paperback!

White Rocket Books proudly announces the release in trade paperback format of THE GOLDEN AGE, a new superhero novel featuring the classic Standard/Better/Nedor characters from 1939-56, by noted pulp and superhero author Jeff Deischer (Spook Trail; The Winter Wizard).

The year is 1942, and the world is at war. Spies and saboteurs seem to lurk around every corner of America. But the real danger awaits in the shadows. Following the Battle of Midway, the Dragon Society of Imperial Japan dispatches its most deadly agents on a secret mission to knock the US out of the war. Only the Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Pyroman and the other classic heroes of the Auric Universe can stop them.

“This book is the end product of the natural evolution of my writing, combining my two great loves, pulps and superheroes,” says Deischer. “So its writing should come as no surprise. Throw in World War II and forgotten heroes, and it was probably inevitable.”

The book includes a special Introduction by comics and pulp historian Will Murray.

White Rocket Books is a leader in the New Pulp movement, publishing exciting action and adventure novels and anthologies since 2005, in both traditional and electronic formats. White Rocket books have hit the Amazon.com Top 15-by-Genre, have been nominated for many New Pulp awards, and have garnered praise from everyone from Marvel Comics Editor Tom Brevoort to Kirkus Reviews.

THE GOLDEN AGE is a $15.95, 6x9 format trade paperback from White Rocket Books.
    298 pages
    ISBN-10: 0-6157222-7-X
    ISBN-13: 978-0-615-72227-6

Amazon.com

White Rocket Books

Snide editorializing from Yours Truly: Well, at least someone is publishing new stories featuring these great characters. Don't let the lack of pictures put you off. And before someone asks, no, I don't have a clue what the heck "the Auric Universe" is either. Just a fancy way of saying a universe full of Golden Age characters would be my guess.
    Last edited by positronic; 11-11-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Default A "Golden Age" read.!!

Cool. Thanks.

Default disambiguation

Just to be absolutely clear (in case I wasn't) this is a PULP (i.e. prose fiction) novel, not a GRAPHIC novel. So, no pretty pictures, just pure story. As far as I can tell, this is just the Standard/Better/Nedor characters (Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Pyroman, Miss Masque, American Crusader, Green Ghost, etc.) and doesn't feature any other public domain Golden Age characters like Green Lama, Daredevil, Silver Streak, etc.

Haven't read it yet myself (boy, my Amazon.com wishlist is like a mile long) but I'll get to it eventually. Have to pace myself before the credit card bill gets too high to pay off at the end of the month. The finer appreciation of the obscure yet sublime is both a blessing and a curse.

Thumbs up Nedor heroes return in Pulp adventure!!

Well, you were right!!

The American Eagle(Thomas Standish) is there. So is The Black Bat, Robert Benton as THE BLACK TERROR, THE CRUSADER, DOC MARVEL(?), THE FIGHTING YANK, KARA (JUNGLE PRINCESS), THE LIBERATOR, MISS MASQUE(Diana Adams), THE SCARAB(Peter Ward), THE SPHINX (Nelson Drew), PYROMAN, and a lot of our friends from Standard/Better/Nedor.

Should be an interesting read. Now, if we could only get Dynamite to return these heroes to the comicbook pages!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnoanddavey View Post
    Well, you were right!!

The American Eagle(Thomas Standish) is there. So is The Black Bat, Robert Benton as THE BLACK TERROR, THE CRUSADER, DOC MARVEL(?), THE FIGHTING YANK, KARA (JUNGLE PRINCESS), THE LIBERATOR, MISS MASQUE(Diana Adams), THE SCARAB(Peter Ward), THE SPHINX (Nelson Drew), PYROMAN, and a lot of our friends from Standard/Better/Nedor.

Should be an interesting read. Now, if we could only get Dynamite to return these heroes to the comicbook pages!!!
    I would bet the "Doc Marvel" character is actually Nedor's Doc Strange (who was their version of Doc Savage)... and who also morphed into "Doc Strong" for Alan Moore's TOM STRONG and TERRA OBSCURA for the late lamented ABC line from Wildstorm/DC. Well, obviously there are problems with calling him "Doc Strange" these days, just as there are problems with calling the Golden Age Daredevil, "Daredevil". Calling him "Doc Marvel" is just a sly poke at the source of that problem.

KARA, Jungle Princess? I could have sworn it was TARA, Jungle Princess... but maybe my memory's slipping. Nedor had a number of them (jungle girls, that is). Personally I always preferred Princess PANTHA. But darn it, there's always some Janey-come-lately who swings in and steals your name!! But what's the diff, I'm sure they all looked equally sexy on an Alex Schomburg cover.
    Last edited by positronic; 11-21-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    I would bet the "Doc Marvel" character is actually Nedor's Doc Strange (who was their version of Doc Savage)... and who also morphed into "Doc Strong" for Alan Moore's TOM STRONG and TERRA OBSCURA for the late lamented ABC line from Wildstorm/DC. Well, obviously there are problems with calling him "Doc Strange" these days, just as there are problems with calling the Golden Age Daredevil, "Daredevil". Calling him "Doc Marvel" is just a sly poke at the source of that problem.

KARA, Jungle Princess? I could have sworn it was TARA, Jungle Princess... but maybe my memory's slipping. Nedor had a number of them (jungle girls, that is). Personally I always preferred Princess PANTHA. But darn it, there's always some Janey-come-lately who swings in and steals your name!! But what's the diff, I'm sure they all looked equally sexy on an Alex Schomburg cover.
    Yes, I think you are right. Doc Marvel is their Doc Savage.

Yeah, and it's Jane Howell ---who is Kara, Jungle Princess.

It's nice to see names like William Norris, The Liberator,
    Bruce Carter III...as The Fighting Yank...
    Archibald Masters...as The Crusader
    Diane Adams...as Miss Masque...
    Margaret "Peggy" Allen... as The Woman in Red.

I'll say it again, ....I sure wished Dynamite would put these "friends" of ours back in the comic book pages.

But they need a "reboot"!!

They....Dynamite...did it wrong. Great covers...poor stories ...poor art...no characterization.
    But it was GREAT...to see those heroes back on the pages.

I liked TERRA OBSCURA. They did the Nedor heroes well. They gave them personalities.
    Dynamite gave us a sky full of "suits".
    Last edited by magnoanddavey; 11-21-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Default Podcast interview with The Golden Age author Jeff Deischer

Over at The Book Cave, Jeff Deischer talks about The Golden Age.

http://thebookcave.libsyn.com/the-bo...the-golden-age
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

Thumbs up Nedor characters continue to breathe.

Really interesting. Even his future projects hold promise. Great tip. Thanks, as always.

Nick, tell us you're bringing back most if not ALL of the Nedor Characters!!
    Give us a break, here!!
    Just look at that backcover of THE GOLDEN AGE ....and put that team "in action."

Make our world a little better!!
    Last edited by magnoanddavey; 01-18-2013 at 01:32 AM.