Thread: The King Watch/Flash Gordon/Phantom/Mandrake MEGATHREAD!

Threaded View

Default Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #7 (spoiler warning)

I'm surprised no one has commented on the wrap-up to the initial story arc. Great covers by Alex Ross and Francesco Francavilla (I bought both of them). A satisfying conclusion, but one that left me scratching my head over the final panel.

SPOILER WARNING!!
    The final panel shows Hitler about to commit suicide. Since Flash and company began their adventure to Mongo in 1934, I didn't get the impression that 10 years had passed for them in Dynamite's story. This would indicate that in Flash Gordon's world Hitler committed suicide in 1934/35, instead of 1945. Which means WWII as we know it never happened. Although of course, something just as huge occurred in 1934/35, with Mongo invading Earth and using Hitler as a proxy. In Alex Raymond's original strip continuity, WWII happened, of course, just as it was happening in the real world that was reading the Hearst newspapers. Now, Flash's universe was always been a parallel timeline, due to the presence of Mongo and its interaction with Earth beginning in the 1930s, but it would seem in Dynamite's continuity Earth's history is even more different, with Hitler committing suicide in 1935, so that the WWII we know never happened.
    Last edited by positronic; 11-17-2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spelling