Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hey Nick Barrucci: What About Project Super Powers????

PSP is one of my favorite titles. I thought the art was really strong in both chapters. I agree the cast got a bit crowded at times. I really hope PSP Chapter 3 picks up where 2 left off and we resolve the whole Claw issue.

One suggestion would be to have another PSP line of some of the secondary heroes. Let them have thier own title and chance to shine. But here I am asking for ANOTHER PSP title when we havent even gotten the promised one yet.

Default Title

See, my thing is that I'm not buying Project Superpowers because I'm a fan of Golden Age characters. I don't give a crap about the Golden age really. I just really enjoyed the PSP story and the characters presented there. To me, those are new characters and they are as they were portrayed.

Bring me a Black Terror without the glowing chest, white eyes, and doctor pirate motiff and I'm not that interested. I want my Green Llama teleporting and controling plants. I want those changes or else these characters aren't the ones I fell in love with. If the book was rebooted in any way the characters I loved would be gone, replaced with look alikes that, while likey more similar to the originals, are not the ones I want to read.

It isn't that I'd throw a hissy fit, I just don't really have the interest or finances to start yet another genre or series based on characters I know little about. I'm invested in the PSP line... that's what I want to see continue.

I enjoyed the writing and art on PSP chapters 1 and 2.

I don't think the art and writing were the problem. Maybe the number of characters and density of plotting were off-putting for some, but thee are other books with large casts, or dense plots, or both.

No, to me I wonder how much the seemingly sporadic publication hurt sales and building a readership? Add to that that as well as keeping the main book coming out on time, other books needed to be equally timely.

Default yep

The only flaw, in my opinion, was an oversaturation of characters without much story about who they are. By the end of Chapter two I had a good grasp of a majority of the characters but that's a long time to have characters we barely know. I mean, issues 0-7 of Chapter 1 and I only really knew Green Llama, Fighting Yank, Dynamic Man, and Black Terror. Minis and most of Chapter 2 finally helped me get a better grasp on the other characters but I still don't feel confident that I KNOW a lot of them.

It was just a bit overwhelming going in. Fortunately I stuck with it.

Personally, I was really hoping for some more minis before Chapter 3 so we can get to know more of the secondary characters. The Ghost and the Flame were the two I really wanted to see more of. I even considered submitting a oneshot or mini for the Flame dealing with the aftermath of Chapter 2.

Now I'm just really eager to hear what this announcement is.

Quote Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
    The only flaw, in my opinion, was an oversaturation of characters without much story about who they are. By the end of Chapter two I had a good grasp of a majority of the characters but that's a long time to have characters we barely know. I mean, issues 0-7 of Chapter 1 and I only really knew Green Llama, Fighting Yank, Dynamic Man, and Black Terror. Minis and most of Chapter 2 finally helped me get a better grasp on the other characters but I still don't feel confident that I KNOW a lot of them.

It was just a bit overwhelming going in. Fortunately I stuck with it.

Personally, I was really hoping for some more minis before Chapter 3 so we can get to know more of the secondary characters. The Ghost and the Flame were the two I really wanted to see more of. I even considered submitting a oneshot or mini for the Flame dealing with the aftermath of Chapter 2.

Now I'm just really eager to hear what this announcement is.
    What announcement? Any link to hints? Please.

Default title

Read the first two posts of this very thread.

Read the first two posts of this very thread.
    I assumed from the post there had been something 'new' posted.

Default peanut butter

Sorry to get your hopes up

Thumbs down And the Announcement is.....

Nick,
    It's March 10th and we still haven't heard an announcement.

There are a great number of us who want to see The Project come back.

Here's my point: (and, Nick, you don't have to answer. I know you're busy. and Can't be answering every poster.)

I really had my hopes up on The Project: SuperPowers. Our GOLDEN AGE HEROES from the 1940's return to the comic book pages. HOW WONDERFUL.!!!!

I bought EVERY issue.

But I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the way it was written and drawn. But I hung on, hoping the art and story would improve.

Here's one thing: Anybody ....answer this:

I could not understand WHY, after what the Japanese had done, ....and what they were doing.... WHY the heroes would try to stop the dropping of the Atomic Bomb that would end the War.!!????

Man, ....that sucked from the "get-go"!!

And there were other things I didn't like...But I hung on to buy and read every issue and to get the collected TPB .... even though I disliked the interior art and the way the story was going.

If Alex was behind that stuff,---- break his pencil as a writer. His covers, on the other hand, were magnificent.
    But story and the interior art was uninspiring for me.

And I'm getting ready to walk away from DE because you just do not put out the kind of books I like.

I want to go back to the books I've bought and re-read a good story. I want to visually go over the art work, and (yea, in some ways) love the lines that delineate our heroes.

Most of the art on PSP did not satisfy me. I'm just one reader, so I'll hardly be missed whatever I decide to do. But I WANTED DE to succeed.

So, when DE started PSP --- I jumped on board. I've ALWAYS wanted those Golden Age heroes to return. So, you got all my money for those issues.

I don't enjoy going back to those issues. For me, the art and story are sub-standard.

I could list a number of things I didn't like, but why.? (Ok, one, at least or more: The way you handled the original Daredevil. It turned out that he wasn't even the REAL Daredevil.)[Or the way you handled Davey and Magno...and their re-union.][Or, The Claw.](Kill off Green Lama's sidekick.)

There must have been some "REAL BAD MOJO" in the vase.(Box) .....Because the boy side-kicks were acting very strange.(Just soooo many things that, to me, were too strangeandtwisted to deal with.) To change the very nature of the characters was head-shakingly bad.

To take the patriotic life out of the heroes wasn't so great, either. And have them attack the White House. Who thought of that.??? Really???? Who???

Create completely new characters and call them by Golden Age names seemed to be the way you went.

Well, ...like I said, ....I'm getting ready to walk. I haven't, yet. But I'm hanging on by a book or two....and still habor a sliver of hope.

Best to every fan, ....best to you all!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnoanddavey View Post
    I really had my hopes up on The Project: SuperPowers. Our GOLDEN AGE HEROES from the 1940's return to the comic book pages. HOW WONDERFUL.!!!!

I could list a number of things I didn't like, but why.? (Ok, one, at least or more: The way you handled the original Daredevil. It turned out that he wasn't even the REAL Daredevil.)[Or the way you handled Davey and Magno...and their re-union.][Or, The Claw.](Kill off Green Lama's sidekick.)

There must have been some "REAL BAD MOJO" in the vase.(Box) .....Because the boy side-kicks were acting very strange.(Just soooo many things that, to me, were too strangeandtwisted to deal with.) To change the very nature of the characters was head-shakingly bad.

To take the patriotic life out of the heroes wasn't so great, either. And have them attack the White House. Who thought of that.??? Really???? Who???

Create completely new characters and call them by Golden Age names seemed to be the way you went.
    Magnoanddavey, meet JewishHobbit.

See, my thing is that I'm not buying Project Superpowers because I'm a fan of Golden Age characters. I don't give a crap about the Golden age really. I just really enjoyed the PSP story and the characters presented there. To me, those are new characters and they are as they were portrayed.
    This a a bit of a dilemma for Nick -- which way to go? If you make one reader happy, you complete alienate another reader. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to reviving classic characters. I myself have argued about the lack of faithfulness of DE's The Shadow to the original pulp character. And other readers like Manga4life have responded with a loud "I love this book, and I don't care about any previous incarnations of the character published by other companies. Dynamite has made me a fan of their version of the character" (excuse the paraphrase, but I believe this is essentially an accurate reconstruction of Manga4life's position on the topic). I suppose I could fall back on the argument that if Dynamite chose to respect the details of a character's previous incarnation, new readers wouldn't know the difference and would just accept whatever version of the character Dynamite decided to deliver to them. Seems like the easy answer, but maybe it's just not as easy to please everyone as it looks.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.