Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT in Dark Horse Presents 18

Default CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT in Dark Horse Presents 18

So Dark Horse's version of the classic radio, serial and Fawcett comic book hero made his debut in DHP#18. First off, it needs to be said that if all you're interested in here is Captain Midnight, you're paying $8 for 8 pages of story (plus a stunning Steve Rude painted cover).

That said, this is an interesting beginning for the character. I'm not familiar with the previous work of writer Joshua Williamson, or artist Victor Ibanez, but they've turned in some fine work on this 8-pager. I have to admit I was somewhat leery of the idea of bringing Captain Midnight into the modern world, but as (spoiler) CM's plane flies out of a storm in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle, this becomes kind of a modern twist on the Silver Age revival of Captain America, with all the paranoia and suspicion (all in the name of 'national security' of course) that you'd expect in the modern world. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the next 2 issues of DHP, with another short chapter announced as part of Dark Horse's FCBD 2013 offering. More practically-minded consumers will just have to wait until the short chapters from DHP are collected in a #0 issue next year, prior to a miniseries for the good Captain.

Dark Horse has been slowly adding a few things that have gotten my interest. First was Lobster Johnson, then Resident Alien and The Once and Future Tarzan, then Francesco Francavilla's Black Beetle, and the return of Baron & Rude's Nexus. Now I can add Captain Midnight to that list. It's a bit unfortunate that all of these are published in sporadic doses at best, but at least it's something.

Default Skyman

Skyman will be appearing in the next issue of DarkHorse's Captain Midnight's on going series (#4). From the blurb is sounds like he may be an advesary and not a friend.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    Skyman will be appearing in the next issue of DarkHorse's Captain Midnight's on going series (#4). From the blurb is sounds like he may be an advesary and not a friend.
    Ah, the venerable "duped hero" plot-twist. Played agin!

Oddly enough Captain Midnight has gotten more attention on this board than the DarkHorse board where NO ONE responed to my post. That's just plain weird.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

I'm a big fan of about a half-dozen Dark Horse titles, but their forum is just "deadworld". Checked it out once or twice, and never bothered going back.

I LOVE Captain Midnight from Dark Horse, it's been a stellar series along with the rest of the Project Black Sky titles. I've been reading almost all of DH's superhero line with X, Ghost, The Occultist, Black Beetle, Brain Boy, Catalyst, and the soon to be released Skyman and they've all been stellar! I hate to say it but it almost rivals what I'm reading here with Dynamite....
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA
    My YouTube Channelhttp://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <------- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 9/22/13 PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: Then & Now by RVGA!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I LOVE Captain Midnight from Dark Horse, it's been a stellar series along with the rest of the Project Black Sky titles. I've been reading almost all of DH's superhero line with X, Ghost, The Occultist, Black Beetle, Brain Boy, Catalyst, and the soon to be released Skyman and they've all been stellar! I hate to say it but it almost rivals what I'm reading here with Dynamite....
    Hope they do another Mr. Monster series (he's been appearing in Dark Horse Presents the last few issues, which is sometimes a good indicator). And if they ever do another Nexus series, I'm there for that too. Enjoying the heck out of Black Beetle, Captain Midnight, Brain Boy, Shaolin Cowboy, Resident Alien, and Mister X. They should get Chuck Dixon and do Airboy again.
    Last edited by pulphero; 10-18-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Just found the announcement of Skyman getting his own miniseries. Only it's a different guy than the one that appears in Captain Midnight, AND a different costume. Seems like the connection to the original Golden Age character is getting more and more tenuous.

Historically, Dark Horse hasn't had huge success with superheroes. The longest-running of those series was probably Nexus, although I think John Byrne's Next Men probably ran longer under the Dark Horse banner. Such properties as Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Star Wars, Conan, and Hellboy have always been Dark Horse's major successes and are arguably responsible for the company lasting as long as it has, but of those, only Hellboy is an original Dark Horse creation. X and Ghost are holdovers from their 1990s attempt to launch a superhero line called "Comics Greatest World", Ghost being the one that was best received, and who has had sporadic series released over the last 20 years or so. Personally, I liked Hero Zero, and would like to see him get another shot at a series. I also wouldn't mind seeing the return of Mark Verheiden's The American, one of the earliest DH superheroes. The "Project Black Sky" titles (Captain Midnight, Brain Boy, Skyman) seem to be the only ones that are interrelated and share a common continuity. It's good that Dark Horse is giving a superhero line another major push in the comic marketplace, though.
    Last edited by pulphero; 10-18-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Default Captain Midnight Archives Volume 2 HC

Along with the solicitation for Skyman #1 (Due Jan. 15), Dark Horse's January solicitations has the second volume in their Captain Midnight Archives series (advance-solicited for Mar. 15). Captain Midnight has to be the odd man out in the Dark Horse Archives lineup. Rather than a complete chronological reprinting of his Fawcett Comics series from the 1940s, Volume 2 reprints issues #48, #50, #52-#56, #58-#60, #62, #64, and #66. (And needless to say, Volume 1 didn't cover the first 47 issues.) Seems to me they should have called this "The Best of Golden Age Captain Midnight" (rather than "A Random Sampling of Golden Age Captain Midnight Comics That Were Available To Us", which probably more accurately reflects the true situation, but doesn't fit on the cover or spine easily, and may cause a prospective buyer to hesitate). But I quiibble -- any Golden Age Captain Midnight comics are better than no Golden Age Captain Midnight comics.

My only point there is that I think the word "Archives" should be reserved to indicate a collection that is part of a strictly chronological and complete reprinting of the named character or comic book. I don't mind when they leave out unrelated backup features or other series appearing in anthology titles.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Just found the announcement of Skyman getting his own miniseries. Only it's a different guy than the one that appears in Captain Midnight, AND a different costume. Seems like the connection to the original Golden Age character is getting more and more tenuous.

Historically, Dark Horse hasn't had huge success with superheroes. The longest-running of those series was probably Nexus, although I think John Byrne's Next Men probably ran longer under the Dark Horse banner. Such properties as Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Star Wars, Conan, and Hellboy have always been Dark Horse's major successes and are arguably responsible for the company lasting as long as it has, but of those, only Hellboy is an original Dark Horse creation. X and Ghost are holdovers from their 1990s attempt to launch a superhero line called "Comics Greatest World", Ghost being the one that was best received, and who has had sporadic series released over the last 20 years or so. Personally, I liked Hero Zero, and would like to see him get another shot at a series. I also wouldn't mind seeing the return of Mark Verheiden's The American, one of the earliest DH superheroes. The "Project Black Sky" titles (Captain Midnight, Brain Boy, Skyman) seem to be the only ones that are interrelated and share a common continuity. It's good that Dark Horse is giving a superhero line another major push in the comic marketplace, though.

I especially worry about the future of Dark Horse now that they are going to lose their Star Wars franchise to Marvel/Disney soon. I mainly buy Dark Horse for the Conan and other REH characters. Occasionally, the Hellboy universe, Buffy universe, or Black Beetle will get me to buy more DH. I heard this Catalyst Comix is pretty good. I too would want more Hero Zero (if memory serves me Godzilla/Hero Zero special left the character in mental retirement). Dark Horse does better with the horror lines. Yet, without Star Wars giving them most of their money, I am not sure the rest of the company can help the bottom line. Maybe if they focus on Halo? Reach out for franchises like Stargate? Hey, DE, start negotiating for Conan to come over when Dark Horse starts to falter out of business. Although, I am thoroughly enjoying DH reprint line of Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian trades (in Marvel's Essential or DC's Showcase presents format), so I hope it is not too soon.