Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 406

Thread: The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnpisme View Post
    This issue seems to be the first in a series of one-shot stories for The Spider
    Actually, the previous issue was a done-in-one story too.

    Checking the solicitations, I see that #8 and #9 list Ivan Rodriguez as the artist as well, so it appears that Colton Worley may have moved on (*sigh*). It is frustrating to see Colton Worley's name up there on the cover (it appears on the covers of #7, 8, and 9) when he had nothing to do with the art on the book. Well, I knew it couldn't last forever. Considering some of the other artists that DE has employed to take over after the fan-favorite artist moved on, I'll take Ivan Rodriguez on this title and consider myself lucky. The choice of a replacement could have been much worse.
    Last edited by positronic; 12-20-2012 at 12:26 AM.

  2. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    Actually, the previous issue was a done-in-one story too. But I hope the one-shot in #7 represents what they used to call a "fill-in" issue, to give Colton Worley a chance to catch up.

    And what makes you say it's the "first in a series of one-shots"...?
    Weren't the last two issues both dealing with Wingman?

    The solicitations for January and February both seem to indicate stand alone stories. The solicit for March announces the arrival of The Fly, which I assume will begin an arc since he is Spider's arch nemesis.

    Also, the solicitations all list Ivan Rodriguez as the artist.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnpisme View Post
    Weren't the last two issues both dealing with Wingman?

    The solicitations for January and February both seem to indicate stand alone stories. The solicit for March announces the arrival of The Fly, which I assume will begin an arc since he is Spider's arch nemesis.

    Also, the solicitations all list Ivan Rodriguez as the artist.
    It appears that your reply to my post crossed with my editing of that selfsame post. No, I think the Wingman story was only issue #6. I don't have the issues right here to check them.

    Ivan Rodriguez is not bad. He's no Colton Worley, but he's definitely up there in the top echelon of DE's regular interior artists.

    It occurs to me that Dynamite should get Francesco Francavilla to do the interior art for a story arc (how awesome would that be?), but I'm just going to assume that they can't match the page rates he gets from Marvel and Dark Horse, and put it out of my mind. I'm also going to assume that's why Francavilla's creator-owned Black Beetle is being published by Dark Horse, not Dynamite. Nick B. even admitted in a recent interview that when you see high-profile talent working on DE's books, they are doing it because they love the character and/or they like the working relationship with Dynamite, not because of the money. They can usually make more money elsewhere. I expect to see Colton Worley working on something for Marvel any time now.
    Last edited by positronic; 12-20-2012 at 03:04 AM.

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    It appears that your reply to my post crossed with my editing of that selfsame post. No, I think the Wingman story was only issue #6. I don't have the issues right here to check them.

    Ivan Rodriguez is not bad. He's no Colton Worley, but he's definitely up there in the top echelon of DE's regular interior artists.

    It occurs to me that Dynamite should get Francesco Francavilla to do the interior art for a story arc (how awesome would that be?), but I'm just going to assume that they can't match the page rates he gets from Marvel and Dark Horse, and put it out of my mind. I'm also going to assume that's why Francavilla's creator-owned Black Beetle is being published by Dark Horse, not Dynamite. Nick B. even admitted in a recent interview that when you see high-profile talent working on DE's books, they are doing it because they love the character and/or they like the working relationship with Dynamite, not because of the money. They can usually make more money elsewhere. I expect to see Colton Worley working on something for Marvel any time now.
    Upon checkin, you're right. Wingman was just one issue.

    I agree with everything you said about Ivan and Colton. I was still surprised to see Colton leave after only 6 issues. Ivan is better than things could be though and I hope Liss sticks around. I seriously hope Dynamite doesn't allow another Green Hornet-esque descent into hardcore sucking.

    How awesome would Francavilla be drawing an arc of Spider? Ri-goddamn-diculously awesome. His Black Beetle is great and I hope it goes for longer than the one four issue mini series.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    139

    Default CEO/Publisher

    positronic/johnpisme

    Man, you guys can be harsh and kind at the same time. I hope Ivan doesn't read the boards. And I'm serious here, no smiley face. When you say he's not Colton, understand, they are two different artists.

    And Colton is a very meticulous artist who needs more time to draw. I think he had almost 3 issues of The Spider drawn before issue #1 was solicited, but he still fell behind. It just takes him longer. We had two choices. We could have cancelled The Spider after Colton left the series, or continue on with a new artist. If we would have chosen to cancel, it would have been another "Oh, Dynamite stops a series just as I'm getting in to it." And if we went with a quarterly schedule it would be "Oh, Dynamite publishes late books and I'm going to stop reading it." So, if we would have kept Colton on, you would still b!#/) -

    We can't win.

    We brought on a great artist in Ivan. We placed Colton on a series that we won't even be soliciting for at least 8 months so that he can get 3 - 4 issues completed before we solicit.

    It's great work. All of it. And we're very upfront in our solicits. We stated that Ivan would be the artist.

    I'm sorry that you're disappointed. But it's either continue the series on a monthly schedule with a new artist, publish quarterly, or cancel the series and start up with a new #1. It sounds like none of the options are viable for some. I wish we had a magic want to make it "better", but we're working with really talented creators and do the best we can.

    And yes, Francesco on an issue or a special series would be awesome. But he does pack his schedule far in advance. There's multiple reasons why he's not yet doing interiors yet for us, but you never know when that will change.

    Be well and Happy Holidays to all!

    best!

    Nick

  6. #96

    Default

    Hey Nick thanks for responding and clarifying things!

    Just to clarify my own point...I'm not trying to put down Ivan by any means. Ivan is great and if he had done Spider from the beginning I'd have not a bad word to say. It's just, as you said, they are both very different artists and the switch is a bit of an adjustment. By no means am I thinking of dropping The Spider, whether it's monthly, quarterly, hell I'll buy it whenever you put it out. I think we comic book readers look at long runs of the past and when we get a team we like on a book we love, we want to see them continue and are wary of change. I can't speak for everyone, but personally my comments are more of a compliment to Colton than a slight against Ivan.

    I love The Spider and hope it gets a long run. I think it is easily the best book Dynamite is publishing (barring Masks - which isn't a fair comparison). I really, REALLY love David Liss. He made me love a character I had never heard of before. I love what seems like even more of a focus on pulp books lately, and am hugely excited for Mark Waid's Hornet and Wagner's Shadow and the Black Bat which I heard is in the works with Brian Buccaletto.

    And now you got me wondering what project you got Colton working on...fingers crossed it's Ms Fury!

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnpisme View Post
    Hey Nick thanks for responding and clarifying things!

    Just to clarify my own point...I'm not trying to put down Ivan by any means. Ivan is great and if he had done Spider from the beginning I'd have not a bad word to say. It's just, as you said, they are both very different artists and the switch is a bit of an adjustment. By no means am I thinking of dropping The Spider, whether it's monthly, quarterly, hell I'll buy it whenever you put it out. I think we comic book readers look at long runs of the past and when we get a team we like on a book we love, we want to see them continue and are wary of change. I can't speak for everyone, but personally my comments are more of a compliment to Colton than a slight against Ivan.

    I love The Spider and hope it gets a long run. I think it is easily the best book Dynamite is publishing (barring Masks - which isn't a fair comparison). I really, REALLY love David Liss. He made me love a character I had never heard of before. I love what seems like even more of a focus on pulp books lately, and am hugely excited for Mark Waid's Hornet and Wagner's Shadow and the Black Bat which I heard is in the works with Brian Buccaletto.

    And now you got me wondering what project you got Colton working on...fingers crossed it's Ms Fury!
    I echo john's comments exactly (except for that part about never having heard of The Spider before). But being familiar with the character, I was all the more prepared to pick nits with a fine-tooth comb, this being a bit of a non-traditional revamp. I should have hated all the ways the book varied from the pulp novels -- but Liss and Worley made me a believer.

    I want to particularly reiterate john's comments regarding not wanting to slight Ivan Rodriguez -- I'd have been fine with him on the book if he was the artist from issue #1, and if Colton can't stay on The Spider, I can't think of a better replacement than Ivan. At the same time, I have seriously fallen in love with Colton's work on the book -- what's a fan to do?

    I like Miss Fury too. But I'm hoping Colton is working on that top-secret crossover of Flash Gordon, The Phantom and Mandrake the Magician.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    139

    Default CEO/Publisher

    Guys,

    I think you'll be happy with Colton's next project. Not the Flash multi-X-Over, but you'll be happy.

    best!

    Nick

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Nick,

    Personally I would be VERY upset if The Spider was cancelled. Sure, Colton's work was phenomenal on the title, but the new artist is fine too and fans demand that they have their monthly fix of The Spider. Quarterly or cancelled just doesn't fit into our schedules

    Please, for the sake of all that is good in comics, keep The Spider, as well as the entire pulp universe in tact, and don't be afraid to add to the lineup.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator


    Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    What's all this talk all of a sudden about The Spider being cancelled? Sure, Colton Worley is moving to a new project, and Ivan Rodriguez is taking over as the new artist, but who says it's headed for cancellation? I've seen people hinting at it on a few threads lately.

    Come on, people. Stop being so negative. Sure, it hurts when we hear that a book we like (like Flash Gordon) is ending, but let's not go off the deep end with all this doom and gloom about everything good being cancelled.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •