Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2960
The Phantom will be making a bold return in 2012
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Phantom will be making a bold return in 2012

Default The Phantom will be making a bold return in 2012

Had to post it here:

[from Dynamite's "IN STORES THIS WEEK" email newsletter:]

VICTOR WRITES: I have been following the Phantom for many years now, and let me tell you... Your new series have brought a new light on this character! The Last Phantom is much bolder - A great storyline, and brilliant artwork.

Thanks for the kind words, Victor and thanks for reading. The Phantom has been one of our underappreciated titles for sure, but have no fear, with the launch of Flash Gordon, and impending release of Mandrake, the Ghost Who Walks will be making a bold return in 2012!

Speculation on my part... Could the Phantom's "bold return" be as a member of the Defenders of the Earth? Or am I reading too much into this? Seems they made a point of mentioning Flash Gordon and Mandrake in that reply...
    Last edited by positronic; 01-05-2012 at 03:12 AM.

I think you are reading too much into the references to the three characters together. The three are all mentioned together because they are the three properties Dynamite is licensing from King Features.

Regarding the Phantom, "under appreciated" is an understatement and places blame on readers for the disaster that was The Last Phantom. "Misguided" on the part of the series architects is more like it. If the Phantom is to have a bold return, then DE must scrap The Last Phantom and had in a different direction.

DE can do it, as Flash Gordon Zeitgeist is OUTSTANDING! It's well-written, well-drawn, and features an amalgam of dialog, depictions, characters, and settings from the Flash Gordon mythos and productions that have come before. The additions to the mythos do not mock, parody, or defile the original intent of the creator, Alex Raymond, as The Last Phantom.

With the Last Phantom, we got an anti-hero that flung dung on the very essence of the character created by Lee Falk. Instead of starting with the characters and building on them as with Flash, they started with the Phantom characters and stripped away what made the character so unique. The Phantom is not just another masked vigilante out seeking revenge for a murdered family, he's a family man out to keep peace and stop violence rather than create it. He does not kill. There is ALWAYS a next generation Phantom from the bloodline (why does every writer seeking to modernize the Phantom always take that away first, as with the Last Phantom, Phantom 2040, and the SyFy Phantom?). Lee Falk wrote the Phantom as a smiling, laughing, sharp-witted man who could enjoy life with his family one moment and be stopping a deadly menace the next. And he is not just about stopping wrong-doers, he's about creating what is right and good. There was just so little to recognize of Lee Falk's creation in the Last Phantom, no wonder the series failed.

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    Speculation on my part... Could the Phantom's "bold return" be as a member of the Defenders of the Earth? Or am I reading too much into this? Seems they made a point of mentioning Flash Gordon and Mandrake in that reply...
    I wouldn't be surprised at all, though it sounds as though they'll each get a solo series (or mini) first. Just speculating of course, but I would expect a more traditional Phantom, since Dynamite has shown that they have no issue with having multiple versions of the same character (at least not with Green Hornet).

The Phantom is perfectly capable of supporting at least 2 ongoing titles (one for the current era Phantom, and a "Phantom Chronicles" title exploring Phantom generations of the past). I suspect the reason that Dynamite did not bring a big "push" to the franchise lies with the fact that there is no current or upcoming media tie-in (movie or TV) to draw attention to the character. A shame, because we were getting a lot more Phantom comics from Moonstone than we have from Dynamite. Dynamite could have focused the same amount of energy on The Phantom that they did on Green Hornet, but they chose not to.

When can we expect a continuation of "The last Phantom"? Itīs time!

I agree, we need more info about what's coming up for the Ghost Who Walks.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMD View Post
    I agree, we need more info about what's coming up for the Ghost Who Walks.
    My guess is probably nothing this year. Since the solicits for November have already come out, that leaves Dynamite 1 month to do something for 2012. Heck I bout there is nothing planned for 2013. Thats just me being pessimistic. I have no way to say one way or another.

There was definitely an interview I read with Nick B. a few months back where he talked about plans for an upcoming crossover of Flash Gordon, The Phantom, and Mandrake. He was vague about whether he was talking about a self-contained series or something that would take place within the title Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist. I do remember he categorically stated that they would not be calling this group of heroes "Defenders of the Earth". Wish I could remember where I read it, or what else Nick had to say about it. As I recall, it was part of a more general interview in which Nick talked about Dynamite's upcoming plans, so there weren't a lot of specifics. Still, it's confirmation that they are indeed planning to do it.

The crossovers I would really like to see are off course The Phantom VS Tarzan (Lord of the jungle) or The Phantom VS The Shadow. There's been a lot of fanart through the years depicting these encounters, so seeing official stories dedicated to the subjects would be really neat. But a Defenders "reunion", either with or without that name, could also be cooler than I like to admit, despite the cheesiness associated with the original cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
    The crossovers I would really like to see are off course The Phantom VS Tarzan (Lord of the jungle) or The Phantom VS The Shadow. There's been a lot of fanart through the years depicting these encounters, so seeing official stories dedicated to the subjects would be really neat. But a Defenders "reunion", either with or without that name, could also be cooler than I like to admit, despite the cheesiness associated with the original cartoon.
    Really? Where could one see some of this fan art? Have to admit that a Phantom vs Shadow crossover never entered my mind. Moonstone Books had a Phantom/Green Hornet crossover in one of their anthologies. Although I have always wondered what would have happened if he (or more likely, an earlier Phantom ancestor) ran into Tarzan. Yeah, they meet, they fight, they team up.

DC would probably never agree to it now, but I always wanted to see a Phantom/Batman crossover. It could have happened in the 1980s, when DC had the Phantom license, and Jim Aparo would have been the perfect artist to draw it.

I just always liked the concept of Defenders of the Earth, even if the execution was totally "Super Friends" (by way of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends). A lot of people would say these characters don't belong together, but to me that's the attraction of the idea. After all, when you get right down to it, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor are just as dissimilar (or Hulk, Sub-Mariner, and Dr. Strange). That sort of variety of characters is what makes superteams interesting. I can even see the idea of the sons and daughter of the characters working, as young people in training to carry on the legacies. At least it worked for the Justice Society for a while.

You know what's weird? Here on DE's forums, The Phantom gets grouped with Bionic Man, Voltron, and Army of Darkness, while Flash Gordon gets filed with "the pulps" (The Shadow, The Spider, and The Green Hornet). How is Flash Gordon "pulp" and The Phantom is not? Seems to me that if anything, it should be the other way around.
    Last edited by positronic; 09-13-2012 at 01:37 PM.