Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Dynamite still have the rights to Buck Rogers?

Wow! Those are some interesting things that I hadn't heard before. Especially about Big John. I always loved his work on Conan, being a sword and sorcery fan myself. In a dream world, every artist/writer would work on their dream project. Unfortunately, a lot of them seem to be doing creator owned projects and they're not selling as well because they're SO MANY. Yes, I wish they could all succeed, but I think sometimes it's taking talent off bigger paying assignments. They could work on the creator owned stuff in their spare time and put them out as trades, I think they would come out even more successful then putting out monthly books that don't sell as well. But, that's just my opinion.

Interesting in theory, about the creator-owned trades vs. floppies. Trying to think of something, anything, that went the route of original graphic novel first, rather than in serialized form, and was a big success - but not coming up with anything. Seems like everything that hit big is available in the cheaper format first. THEN if popular, the sales of the trade paperback collections follow suit. There are some things (Walking Dead and Vertigo titles jump to mind) where the TPs do as well (sometimes better, eventually) than the floppies, but it's always after they've built a following in chapter form, and the trade-waiters pick up the books based on word of mouth buzz, or convert from floppy to TP consumers.

Speaking of The Walking Dead, I laugh now to think that it's the biggest-paying assignment that Robert Kirkman ever had. I bet there are people working on Spider-Man and Batman that wouldn't mind trading positions with him.

And apparently, Ed Brubaker is doing well enough on his creator owned properties like Fatale that he can afford to drop work on bread-and-butter titles like Captain America and Winter Soldier. Admittedly, these guys are by far the exception, not the rule, but good for them.
    Last edited by positronic; 01-02-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    Speaking of The Walking Dead, I laugh now to think that it's the biggest-paying assignment that Robert Kirkman ever had. I bet there are people working on Spider-Man and Batman that wouldn't mind trading positions with him.

And apparently, Ed Brubaker is doing well enough on his creator owned properties like Fatale that he can afford to drop work on bread-and-butter titles like Captain America and Winter Soldier. Admittedly, these guys are by far the exception, not the rule, but good for them.
    I've know Kirkman for many years. I first met him back in 2003, I think. I had him at my store, as well as the other people from MV Creations(they were doing Masters of the Universe at the time), and he was writing the Icons of Evil He-Man one-shots. At dinner that night he told me he was working on a zombie book. I told him "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Who's gonna care about zombies after like the 6th issue?" You can see how wrong I was. LOL!!! To this day I tease him about finishing Space Ace, and dumping The Walking Dead. LOL!!! Right now, were I work, things like Ax Cop, Saga, and Walking Dead TPB sales FAR outweigh the monthly sales on those titles. Saga is out highest selling book, but it was HANDS DOWN our best selling trade paperback of the year. Buy a pretty HUGE margin. The same for Ax Cop. We sell maybe 3 or 4 copies off the rack, but the trades, we can't keep in stock! And The Walking Dead sells a good number of monthlies, but whenever a new trade comes out, even though we order HUGE amounts, we always sell out by the end of the first day and have to have more direct shipped to the store. Customers are funny with what they want and in what format they want it. I can't think of anything that I wait for the trade on. Of course, if I didn't work in a store, my buying habits might be a bit different.

Image in particular has a number of titles that do especially well in trade paperback. But I still wonder if you can just skip the floppy format altogether. Maybe someday, with digital. But right now, I think trade sales are dependent on those bleeding-edge early adopters of the serialized format to generate buzz for a nascent title.

I didn't really care for Dynamite's BUCK ROGERS. I stuck with it until the end but it just didn't hit me like I'd hoped. I suppose I'm more partial to the nostalgia of 1930's sci-fi designs etc. so I look forward to see what Chaykin has in store for us.

I do enjoy his work. SOMETIMES I think he goes a bit out of his way to show us "HEY! Comics aren't for KIDS ANYMORE!" It feels like nearly every comic he's done since AMERICAN FLAGG (which is a classic) has a scene of, leading to, or after oral sex. Not that there's anything WRONG with that, I mean, we all need a little action from time-to-time but, still...

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRollKato View Post
    It feels like nearly every comic he's done since AMERICAN FLAGG (which is a classic) has a scene of, leading to, or after oral sex.
    It does feel that way. American Flagg, Blackhawk, Black Kiss... I probably missed a few, since I stopped paying attention after a while. Was there one in Dominic Fortune (MAX)? Time2? I don't mind so much when he does it using his own characters and series, but that Blackhawk sort of set my teeth on edge.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

What I would like to know is: Whatever DID happen to Dynamite's BR license?

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    What I would like to know is: Whatever DID happen to Dynamite's BR license?
    Hello?

HELLO?