Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark Shadows Ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
    i've watched the original series so i'm familiar with that type of storytelling. the one consequence i hope they deal with is Elizabeth. after everything that happened in the series, and now in this comic, i hope she takes a more active role in things and begins to deal with the supernatural events that tend to plague the Collins family.
    Agree 100%. After everything that has happened since Cousin Barnabas appeared, Elizabeth's constant state of denial is difficult to accept.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets....I'm an old man now." --The Fighting Yank

So it looks like this series will end with #23. Pity, but I can't pretend to be surprised. I know sales were poor (my LCS frankly admitted that I am the sole customer for the book at their shop). It looks like the Evil Barnabas storyline wraps with #22 and then #23 is the sole "aftermath" issue.

So, if a book is canceled for poor sales, does that mean that there is no chance of trade paperbacks? I was really hoping the storyline would be collected.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets....I'm an old man now." --The Fighting Yank

I guess I have a partial answer. A search of Amazon.com reflects that a TPB Vol. 2 of Dark Shadows is scheduled for release in December.

aw man, this stinks. though honestly, i'm surprised the title has lasted this long. i may not have enjoyed the current storyline so much, but i do love DS and have supported this comic. maybe we can get a mini-series of some sort in the future?

aw man, this stinks. though honestly, i'm surprised the title has lasted this long. i may not have enjoyed the current storyline so much, but i do love DS and have supported this comic. maybe we can get a mini-series of some sort in the future?
    Maybe, at least they can keep doing a continuation of the Year One series by retelling some of the major storylines of Dark Shadows...1897 and 1840 and the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    So, if a book is canceled for poor sales, does that mean that there is no chance of trade paperbacks? I was really hoping the storyline would be collected.
    Even Green Hornet Strikes! is getting a trade collection (and frankly, after that long-delayed, and underwhelming, perfunctory final issue #10, I'm not sure it deserves one).

I honestly don't think there are very many DE titles that don't go to trade. Trade sales are an important revenue stream for DE, especially for media tie-in properties, because many fans of these things will never see them in a comic shop. On the other hand, it isn't such a big percentage for them that they can make up the money from a poorly-selling monthly, so single issue sales are still crucial. I assume DS Year One is ending, also.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    I assume DS Year One is ending, also.
    Well, yes. But to be fair, DS Year One was always intended to be a limited series. The next issue is the last.

Here's what Shadowgrams had to report on the DS comics: “In November, Dynamite Comics will conclude publication of its DARK SHADOWS comic book series, with issue #23.

Please Note:

“The current market climate for comic books outside of the traditional superhero category is difficult. Consumers continue a shift to digital platforms, and traditional outlets for comics decrease.

“Dynamite hopes to pursue new options to re-launch DARK SHADOWS comics in the near future.” SG will report confirmed comic book news."

So there's hope that at some point the series, or at least some special issues, might continue.

i'm sure its hard to maintain interest in some of the properties Dynamite has. Green Hornet got a big push from the live action film and has managed to stick around. but Dark Shadows has nothing, now that the live action movie is a year old and didn't do so well at the box office. like i said before, i'm surprised it managed to last this long. it was a good ride though. never thought i'd reading something like Dark Shadows/Vampirella.

they say they would like to relaunch in the future...but they said the same thing when The Last Phantom ended.

i'm sure its hard to maintain interest in some of the properties Dynamite has. Green Hornet got a big push from the live action film and has managed to stick around. but Dark Shadows has nothing, now that the live action movie is a year old and didn't do so well at the box office. like i said before, i'm surprised it managed to last this long.
    The very existence of the movies certainly creates an awareness in people that they wouldn't otherwise have of the property. Kevin Smith's Green Hornet and Green Hornet Year One came out more than a year in advance of the movie (which also didn't do very well at the box office, but was lower budgeted than Dark Shadows). Neither of the GH titles had anything to do with the movie OR the old TV series (and when DE did finally publish a tie-in miniseries, it didn't sell so well), unlike DS which is at least faithful to the original, and the GH books arguably sold much better in their first year than after the movie came out. Although Year One ended after 12 issues, Mark Waid's Green Hornet can be fairly considered as a sequel/continuation to that title. What's REALLY surprising is that the main GH title managed to last 41 issues. Surprising because GH seems to have succeeded for a while based purely on its own merit. If anything, the anticipation of the movie helped, but the movie itself, seemingly not at all.

And so far, a poorly-received Lone Ranger movie hasn't killed that title off yet either. Ditto for Disney's John Carter (a major flop) and DE's Warlord of Mars titles, while Marvel's tie-ins came and went nearly unnoticed. Meanwhile, DE's Bionic Man has enjoyed a good run of 24 issues with no new movie project on the horizon. Bionic Woman was cancelled after only 10 issues, despite having a TV series revival (which also flopped after a mere 8 episodes) only a few years back. It's hard to draw any hard and fast conclusions on DE's comics' relationship to the various movie properties.
    Last edited by pulphero; 09-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.