Thread: Black Bat announcement

Default Black Bat announcement

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...ticleID=131469

Check it out guys! Nice writer for the series too.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Did you see the comment that said Cliquet has a "gritty, almost ink style"? Is this the same Ronan Cliquet that turned Green Hornet into a hazy, chalk sketch blur where the only detail on a face was teeth? Seriously? I normally would take a look at this series but not with Cliquet doing the art. I bet the series is DOA.

I'm more worried about the writing. It bugs me that they want to play up the pulp connection, but then go out of their way to make changes to the character as it existed in the pulps. Plus, updating it takes 90% of the "pulp" out of it to begin with, at least for me.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

I'm willing to give this a chance.
    The changes to the character do worry me.
    It seems unnecessary to greatly alter the origin of Quinn. But they do not constitute a deal breaker for me.
    So I'll check out the first few issues.
    For deep in my soul the old gods brood-
    And I come of a restless breed-
    And my heart is blown in each drifting mood
    As clouds blow over the mead.

Robert E. Howard

Agreed, I'm not writing if off sight unseen -- just a little concerned. I'll give it at least one story arc before deciding.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

Im picking it up and am looking forward to it.

What I am afraid of is hearing people say that he is a Batman ripoff.

I'm getting more and more excited for this title as time moves along, my dream of a massive pulp line of comics is coming true it would seem.

I love these books because they're different than the normal tried and true world of spandex wearing superheroes and offer a different style of storytelling. Being on the Black Bat!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Y'know, I'll give you that it's a little hard to distinguish between fabrics in a comic book drawing, but Black Bat's new outfit sure looks like spandex to me. Or maybe a 60/40 poly/cotton blend. I mean, except for the capes and masks, I'm sure The Spider, The Shadow, and The Green Hornet can get most of their clothes off the rack. Can't see a huge difference between this Black Bat's outfit and most of the other superheroes out there. Did they really have to duplicate the Batman cape and cowl so closely? He's Batman without the ears and the scallops in the cape, and with guns. I get no indication that this is set in the 1940s. Thus my concern that this is going to be more like a slightly more lethal superhero comic.