Thread: Bionic Man Annual #1

Default Bionic Man Annual #1

Just finished reading this, and really, really enjoyed it. Far and away my favorite Bionic Man comic so far. Written by Scott Beatty, with art by Dietrich Smith. Just a really good done-in-one mission for Steve (that introduces a new character who could potentially return). I must say I really particularly liked Dietrich Smith's art on this one; it's quite different from the regular comic. The coloring and digital effects by Alex Guimaraes really made the art pop, too. And it was nice to see the classic red track suit back in action.

Put this down as a vote for recruiting these guys as the regular creative team on the ongoing Bionic Man series.

I've read a lot of comics, so I admit I can sometimes be a harsh critic who is finicky and hard to please. But this really felt like a fun, breezy read and I was left feeling satisfied that I got more than my $5 worth of entertainment.

One thing I found kind of interesting -- there is a scene where Oscar and Rudy are discussing the functioning of Steve's bionics under conditions of extreme cold. Rudy mentions superconductors and that they actually work better when they're colder. I just noted that this was the exact opposite of the 6M$ Man TV series, where an episode made a plot point of the fact that Steve's bionics were actually inhibited by low temperatures from functioning properly.
    Last edited by positronic; 03-17-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

I enjoyed this title. I have seen too many annuals that are really watered down versions of the original title. Interesting plot. I liked the story and thought it left open avenues to pursue in the regular series (although Gillespie seems to have a couple strong arcs coming). I was also glad to see a story where Steve Austin isn't getting an arm or leg ripped out of its socket. While the plot was strong, I thought there were too many cliches and wisecracks in the dialogue. It is a departure from the main title where Steve seems to be getting more serious.

The art was pretty good. Strong level of detail and the color pallet reminded me of the 1970's action figure. I thought the figures were proportioned a bit too large, which made them look a bit cartoony. I am pretty happy with the main title art we have been getting from Ed Tadeo and Ray Villegas. Would be thrilled for them to stay on for a while longer.

Well, I'll give you this, Tadeo has been improving on the regular BM title. He is still kind of uneven from page to page and panel to panel. But he is definitely better than when he first started.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

team Knight Rider (TV show) did a simliar episode called "Return of megaman"

http://www.hulu.com/watch/5454#i0,p11,d0