Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubebar_rich View Post
    I am wondering if some of the Pulp titles could be merged into a permanent team title? Maybe a continuous Masks style Pulp squad that could involve the likes of Spider, the Owl and others so we could keep our fix without each taking up a solo title that sometimes struggles to sell? A full on Pulp Avengers...... What do people think?
    That I'd be all over that. I think I would prefer different volumes though rather than an ongoing.

I also don't know if so many similar characters would work well as a team on a regular basis. Masks unites them through a far-reaching threat. I think you'd need that kind of story.

Otherwise if you envisioned an official team, I think that would be harder to pull off with this bunch. The characters don't really lend themselves to it, having been primarily solo performers in a specific base of operations (I'd still buy it though ).

You could perhaps have a team in a specific city (The Shadow's, for example, if you wanted to use him as selling point) by writing in some of the "pre-urn" Superpowers characters much like they did Black Terror and Green Lama in Masks.
    [IMG]http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/images/SP-Lama01-Banner.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Tubebar_rich View Post
    I am wondering if some of the Pulp titles could be merged into a permanent team title? Maybe a continuous Masks style Pulp squad that could involve the likes of Spider, the Owl and others so we could keep our fix without each taking up a solo title that sometimes struggles to sell? A full on Pulp Avengers...... What do people think?
    That's the sort of cry of desperation that makes me want to just give up reading. Crossovers and limited series are one thing, but a month in, month out pulp supergroup would ruin anything special about these characters. Essentially, if these characters can't support their own books, then they don't deserve to be published. Or to put it more accurately, an unappreciative comic book reading world doesn't deserve them. Sorry man, you had to ask.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

Quote Originally Posted by manga4life View Post
    Orders for The Spider started low, only about 10k, unlike The Shadow that started with over 25k in orders. Dynamite promoted The Spider heavily upon release and then probably felt underwhelmed by the initial orders and stopped promoting the book (as they seem to do with most of the books after release). With no promotion and low numbers it was basically a doom ship to begin with. Still, if they get more orders and if we keep making it known we want more of The Spider than hopefully we will see this book continue on.
    I can see that on the advertisement. I found the book on the shelf and the cover was the advertisement for me. Otherwise I didn't see it except for in previews. Honestly I've bought so many titles in the past that didn't last long, I think my tastes just don't fit mainstream. So it's not like it's going to be a deterrent for me. I read what I like. I have one friend who avoids mini-series because they don't typically go up in price and mostly he likes a longer developed character and storyline. I like mini-series because a book drops off my list and I can grab a new one without inflating my expenses. Maybe we are both wrong. Ha.
    I'd like to see this book keep going, but if it doesn't I hope it comes back for some minis and maybe some throwbacks to the original era. It sure made me interested in reading some of the old pulp books that I ignored before! I love reading Robert E. Howard's work and this helped me give the other stuff a chance too.

I'm in agreement with some of the other posters. Maybe Dynamite should do these as "connected mini-series" the way that Dark Horse does a lot of their books. You get the bump of a first issue and the audience can choose to stay on in the long run, or just read an arc.

Quote Originally Posted by db8coach View Post
    I'm in agreement with some of the other posters. Maybe Dynamite should do these as "connected mini-series" the way that Dark Horse does a lot of their books. You get the bump of a first issue and the audience can choose to stay on in the long run, or just read an arc.
    Oh come on, now you're just being sensible.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

I would be okay with the miniseries idea as long as we got at least a total of 8 books a year from each title. Just to do one 4-6 issue mini a year would leave me wanting more to the point that I would hate the wait. A 30+ day wait is long enough for me.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

How about 2 and a halfish with different creative teams? I would go with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    I would be okay with the miniseries idea as long as we got at least a total of 8 books a year from each title. Just to do one 4-6 issue mini a year would leave me wanting more to the point that I would hate the wait. A 30+ day wait is long enough for me.
    I would be happy with however many issues they could manage in a year while keeping the quality at a consistently high level. It's like if you have the time and patience to wait for it, you can go to a restaurant and get a really good meal. But if you're in a hurry and need to satisfy your hunger right now, you go to McDonalds.

I haven't been too impressed with the Spider serial movie look, and would have much preferred the classic Pulp magazine look

Also, ignoring his original era was an other low point for me

Moonstone was more interesting with the Spider, and from Chronicles to Graphic novels, it was more enjoyable to see the hero set in his original time

Old classic days

Followers should have continued in the modern age, even an army of Spiders

Where a PULP YEAR ONE event could have linked to in the future, and an army of Spiders of different designs could come to the rescue of the original Master Of Men
    Last edited by Renaud; 04-17-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Just wanted to let Dynamite know that I have purchased every issue of The Spider published.
    In addition to buying the compelation of the first story line.
    Of the classic pulp characters The Spider has been, and is my favorite.
    For deep in my soul the old gods brood-
    And I come of a restless breed-
    And my heart is blown in each drifting mood
    As clouds blow over the mead.

Robert E. Howard