Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Plans for a 'Happy 40th, Red Sonja'?

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
    Just thought I'd jump in here to point out that we've seen no official announcement of the cancellation of the current RS title. The Gail Simone title may well be in addition to, rather than a replacement for, the current RS title. The same confusion seemed to surround the launch of Mark Waid's Green Hornet -- when first announced, most people seemed to assume it was a replacement for the ongoing Green Hornet title (formerly known as Kevin Smith's Green Hornet), but this turned out not to be the case.
    This is true, but since the "Let's make Red Sonja a vampire" is one of the dumbest, laziest storylines I can think of, The majority of fans will probably gravitate to the Gail simone "Red Sonja" comic book. I know I will. This may very well lead to a cancellation of the current book. Personally, I think I would rather it just stop than become a mockery and a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by brickbutler View Post
    This is true, but since the "Let's make Red Sonja a vampire" is one of the dumbest, laziest storylines I can think of, The majority of fans will probably gravitate to the Gail simone "Red Sonja" comic book. I know I will. This may very well lead to a cancellation of the current book. Personally, I think I would rather it just stop than become a mockery and a joke.
    You obviously aren't a fan of Green Hornet, since this seems new to you. And that's pretty much how things go, over in Hornetsville.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

Quote Originally Posted by brickbutler View Post
    This is true, but since the "Let's make Red Sonja a vampire" is one of the dumbest, laziest storylines I can think of...
    Have you actually read those issues yet?

No I have not read the issues, because they are not out yet. But, I am sure that they will not have the "Red Sonja" vibe. Why am I sure? Because I read prophecy. It was a NON red sonja story that had Red Sonja in it. The Prophecy story was very superhero-ish: meaning that it had a superhero vibe with a sword-n-sorcery character involved. Hated it.
    Then- I read the mediocre Witchblade/Sonja team-up. It stunk to high heaven. God- I remember all my homeboys at the local comic book store just ripping it to shreds because it was so bad. I......I couldn't even defend it, because I read it....and hung my head head in shame. And if there is ONE THING I do on a regular basis, is defend Red Sonja & Dynamite Entertainment down here in Georgia.

BUT! I would love for the issues to come out and be great. And the makers of the "Red Sonja vampire" storyline probably think it is great. But if I were a betting man, I would put all my money on that the vampire-sonja storyline will be eiter straight up bad, or mediocre at best.

Prove me wrong. Please, prove me wrong.

I think the basic problem with the "Red Sonja as vampire" story is that it's in her own title. Wait, strike that--that could itself work as a temporary condition, perhaps, apart from anything else. I think the problem is that it's in her own title and connected to Vampirella, Dracula, etc. It takes utterly unrelated characters and makes them part of her own series in ways that I think are jarring for the genre.

It's kind of like Marvel Team-Up: Spider-Man met Kull and Red Sonja in there, as well as meeting Sonja in their own Dynamite miniseries. But he didn't show up in her own book, nor in Kull's. That would have been just... off. Again, it's like Jonah Hex--for his entire original series and for his recent pre-Flashpoint series, he may have occasionally encountered the supernatural, but he didn't team up with Batman or Green Lantern in his own book. He did guest-star in other super-hero time-travel stories, absolutely, but not in his own title, which was kept cleanly in the grim western context. Yes, he did have a series in which he traveled to a post-apocalyptic future, which was interesting, but you may note that it lasted a whopping year and a half and then poor Jonah was relegated to a couple of miniseries and time-travel cameo appearances until 2006. 1987-2006 is almost twenty years... But it went on very well for 70 issues until the DC reboot. And now, while I do like the work by the writers on the New 52 All-Star Western, I think it is marred a bit by the deeply unnecessary, but probably editorially mandated, heavy, visible connections to the current DCU--he's been in Gotham hanging out with Dr. Arkham, encountering ancestors of people like Batman and the Penguin, dealing with Eclipso's black diamond and so on and so on, and I find it jarring from a genre/story viewpoint. (It also doesn't help that's it's been dragged into service for things like the Court of Owls from Batman: since we know they will be around to plague Batman in the present day, there is no chance Jonah might take down the entire organization, and so on and so on, so it makes his book subordinate to the Bat-books.) Booster Gold will be showing up shortly, and Jonah will have a multi-issue jaunt to the present day as well--again, both of which might be great stories in themselves, but as part of Jonah's own title, weirdly awkward.

I feel that this is precisely the same problem with shoehorning Dracula, Vampirella, etc. into Sonja's own series. Having Sonja show up in a crossover team-up like Prophecy, well and good, but it should end with, I don't know, her memories of it fading like a dream, perhaps, after she saves the world, never to be referred to in her own title.

Chast - Oddly enough, as much as I hate the New 52, All Star Western is one of the few titles I can stand to read. So far, I don't think there's actually been anything in there that contradicts any of Hex's pre-Flashpoint stories. It helps that Palmiotti & Gray carried over from the pre-52 series. And the crossovers have at least been less intrusive (being set in the past) than any of the others they've done with present-day titles.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

Parallels between Red Sonja and Green Hornet:

Gail Simone's Red Sonja - Well, no actual issues yet, but the general reaction to the news seems to be that people are loving the idea. Or at least looking forward with great anticipation.
    Mark Waid's Green Hornet - Just came out with the first issue and people generally seem to be loving it. Overwhelmingly positive response and people are embracing it with enthusiasm.

Red Sonja (current ongoing title) - General feeling I'm getting here is that a lot of people feel it has seen better days, has gotten tired and hackneyed lately.
    Green Hornet (Legacy) - A wide spectrum of opinions here, but a definite strong contingent are very unhappy with the book. I think just about everyone would agree that the title's best days are past, though.

Upcoming storylines:
    Red Sonja - Gets turned into a vampire. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.
    Green Hornet - Gets turned into a zombie. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post

Upcoming storylines:
    Red Sonja - Gets turned into a vampire. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.
    Green Hornet - Gets turned into a zombie. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.
    So whats that tell you? We, the fans of Red, the ones that go out of our way month after month to support this book want fantasy stories, we want adventure, action, peril, threats, hell even vampires and zombies, but what we dont want, is Sonja being scooped up and dropped into multi genre crossovers and then coming out of the dumb crossovers as a vampire.

Now I wont drop the book cause shes a vampire, only because I dont want to ruin my perfect run I have. However Im in the UK and sales from the UK dont get counted towards books sold, and also I think my local comic book store has canceled Dynamite books as Im the only one that seems to buy them, and even then it was just Red books and Flash Gordon.

Well heres hoping we get some good old fashioned fantasy adventures under Gail, and Sonja gets a costume change.

Quote Originally Posted by themightyflip View Post
    Well heres hoping we get some good old fashioned fantasy adventures under Gail, and Sonja gets a costume change.
    I thought most people liked the steel bikini. Of course it's impractical and unrealistic, but it's traditional and it looks good on her, and after all this is a fantasy. I felt like that was one of the biggest mistakes Dynamite made at first with Vampirella, and after a suitable amount of time and lots of grumbling from readers, they relented and changed back to the traditional unrealistic outfit.
    Last edited by positronic; 04-18-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Oh dont get me wrong, we love Sonja's bikini, but when Eric Tautman changed the outfit, no outrage, in fact it was praised. Personally Ive always loved Sonja's 80's blue outfit.