Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Bat series MEGATHREAD!

An observation after a second reading...

The only possible stumbling block that I can see for any new reader (or, in my case, when I first read it) is the non-linear timeline. At first read, it can be a bit confusing or disconnected, but I think it's just a simple case of trying to organize so much goodness in one issue.

With that said, I do believe the reader is rewarded after "connecting the dots" and I'm really looking forward to issue #2!

I always kind of thought it took place in the modern times (which it does), but I can see where a new reader may get confused since they don't really just come out and tell you when it takes place.

Honestly, I'm just blown away at the way that the artist had transformed his art from what it was on Green Hornet to what it is here in The Black Bat, it's really a night and day difference and he should be proud. Maybe darker comics are more his forte than something that needs a lot of color?
    Hoping Dynamite keeps pushing PULP!

Quote Originally Posted by manga4life View Post
    I always kind of thought it took place in the modern times (which it does), but I can see where a new reader may get confused since they don't really just come out and tell you when it takes place.

Honestly, I'm just blown away at the way that the artist had transformed his art from what it was on Green Hornet to what it is here in The Black Bat, it's really a night and day difference and he should be proud. Maybe darker comics are more his forte than something that needs a lot of color?
    Maybe he was rushed on Green Hornet. He seemed to come out of nowhere so maybe he was a last minute replacement.

He is credited as the only artist on this book, too. Was that the case with Green Hornet? Did he have "help" on GH that maybe he didn't mesh with as well as hoped?

In any event, while I wasn't as down on him as some people, I wasn't exactly excited at the news that he got this gig either. So good on him for making a good second first impression.
    [IMG]http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/images/SP-Lama01-Banner.jpg[/IMG]

I read this again 2 more times this week, its great! Cant wait for black bat issue #2, and the covers rock beyond awesome!

I love the direction if the story here, and I also love the way they talk about the city and what it means to Black Bat. Kind of gave me the chills. I really think this book has the potential to shine for the long term if Dynamite gives it a chance, it has some awesome flares and a nice foundation to be an amazing book over the longterm.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    I love the direction if the story here, and I also love the way they talk about the city and what it means to Black Bat. Kind of gave me the chills. I really think this book has the potential to shine for the long term if Dynamite gives it a chance, it has some awesome flares and a nice foundation to be an amazing book over the longterm.
    Dynamite's going to have to go out of their way to underscore that this is NOT a Batman knock off or just yet another gun-wielding vigilante thrown into their stable.

I don't think they will. If someone picks up the book and reads it for what it is than they'll see it's not, and if they don't than shame on them.

This book is freakin' excellent.
    Hoping Dynamite keeps pushing PULP!

Finally got a chance to read it this afternoon. Great book. Some interesting plot threads. Can't wait for the next issue.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by manga4life View Post
    I don't think they will. If someone picks up the book and reads it for what it is than they'll see it's not, and if they don't than shame on them.

This book is freakin' excellent.
    I'm more concerned that someone WON'T even bother to pick up the book because he or she thinks it's just Dynamite's version of Batman. That's why I think that Dynamite needs to make it clear that there's more to the character.

If someone is so narrow minded that they passed up on this book because they believe it to be a Batman-clone or something, than it's their loss. I believe the guns are what separates the boys from the men here, that and the fact that he's blind. Pulp fans know, those smart enough to look into it know, and hopefully that's enough to make this book a solid hit.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!