Thread: What's up with the black bars in dialogue? (WARNING: possible offensive language)

Default What's up with the black bars in dialogue? (WARNING: possible offensive language)

OK, read no further if you are offended by "four-letter words". I can't discuss this topic without mentioning the words involved. This is a serious question. Fair Warning...

I'm just mystified by these black bars that are appearing (specifically, in MISS FURY #2 and BLACK BAT #1). Never noticed these before in a Dynamite comic. It's not that I'm offended by "adult language" or anything. I guess it's Dynamite's call as to whether or not that kind of language is appropriate for the book in question. What has me scratching my head is this...

If you're going to use the language, then use it. Don't put a black bar where it's obvious in context that the word you want to convey to the audience is fuck. Now, in BLACK BAT #1, this occurs a couple of times. Otherwise there's nothing in the book that would earn it more than a PG rating. So, make up your mind. Do you want to use adult language or not? If it's appropriate to the series, then make the decision to use it. If it's not, then don't use it. Or go the weenie route and come up with some analogous expression like "Frag it!". With the black bars, it's like you want to be "adult" but are afraid to.

MISS FURY #2 presents an even worse example. Here we get the black bars again, when it's obvious in context that the word you want to convey is fuck. Yet, in this series, we see people having sex, and in a couple of instances the expletive "Shit!" appears. So there's no way this is a book for kids and teens, anyway. It's R-rated already, despite blacking out the fucks. So make up your mind already, can the world handle a Dynamite comic with adult language and situations? I'd say you already crossed that line with using the word shit and drawings of people having sex, yet somehow our eyes are too delicate to handle the F-word? It's as if we paid our money to see an R-rated movie, the actors were paid to use the scriptwriter's dialogue, and every time an actor says the word fuck, there a loud BLEEEEEEEEEEEEP. It takes you out of the drama and makes you aware that you're watching a movie. Same with these black bars in the comic.

Very interested in hearing how other people feel about this, or even opinions about whether or not Dynamite should use adult language in its comics in the first place.
    DE pull list: Bionic Man, Bionic Man vs. Bionic Woman, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows, Dark Shadows Year One, Lone Ranger, Lord of the Jungle, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, Masks, Miss Fury, Peter Cannon Thunderbolt, Red Team, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, The Shadow Year One, The Shadow & Green Hornet: Dark Nights, The Spider, Uncanny, Vampirella Archives, Warlord of Mars, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris.

Well,I swear like a trooper!!

I don,t have problems with "foul" language in books or any other publication.

But I think Dynamites approach is a sensible one.

I,d rather see a "blank" if the word is very strong rather than *($"% yourself.
    Or
    You mother^%&*$.
    Like you find in Marvel or DC.

It is strange,I agree but its a fair compromise.
    I just add the words in my head when I read

But I take your point.it seems like a partial censor.

RALPH.

I was very confused to see in Black Bat #1, the word 'shit' clearly on display but the obliquing of 'fuck' panels later. I have no problem with censoring swear words to make the book accessible to a broader range of readers but either censor nothing or everything, for half a job to be done reads very strangely.

It was done in GH legacy as well.

I couldnt agree more with this.

The weirdest part of it all is they used fuck unedited in Miss Fury #1. I remember thinking it was great that they arent censoring it in tbe normal comic book ways you described. Everything you said about why they shouldnt censor it is correct.

They are a little annoying. You know what's blacked out, they can say shit and show Miss Fury's ass but they can't say the f word (don't want to be censored). It's a little ridiculous isn't it.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

More than a little ridiculous. And also aesthetically less than pleasing having these bars all over the place.

I find it interesting, we know that dynamite has a presence on these boards but there has been no comment from them on the subject.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

With a lot of media sometimes a general rating isn't determined by what is said, but how many times it is said or so forth. Not sure if that is the case here, i'd rather just have the word uncensored , but it doesn't really bother me, i like the bars better then the %*@$ing symbols.