Thread: Red Sonja Unchained

Default Red Sonja Unchained

Well I just finished reading Red Sonja Unchained issue 1. This is a follow up to the Red Sonja One Shot BLUE which was perfect. Now that said The artwork in Unchained was not to bad (although I prefer Walter's work on Sonja to anyone who is working on her at this time) I think that the artwork will hold up thru the 4 issue run. The story however was not told in a way that left me wanting more. In BLUE (one shot) Peter Brett nailed it! I was totaly into that story. So, I was very excited to see this 4 issue mini run coming out. But I hope the story improves in the next issue. I do not want to give any details that might give away the story in issue 1.But the one thing I do hate about the Sonja stories tho, is that she seems to with very little efffort defeat any males she faces in combat, however females always give her a good fight. just always works out that way, hmm...........I get it that she (Sonja) is super BA, as a female warrior, but to have so many other females that fight and give her a challenge, when no men can is getting a little old.
    Pull list: Warlord of Mars, Red Sonja Graphic Novels

Personally, I give RED SONJA UNCHAINED #1 .........a SOLID score of 8 OUT OF 10. Is it better than the BLUE one-shot? of course not. But that is not a fair comparison. This is a limited series, and the first issue is to set up the adventure. And I felt it set it up nicely. I liked the recap of the blue one shot (a page too long on the recap, but whatever) and I liked that we got a fight.......and also that the magician girl made fun of Sonja's old outfit. (which is classic, but often over used.) If there is anything to complain about, it is that the pages used on the recap of blue should have been shortened, and we should have gotten an extra page or 2 of dialogue between the magician girl and Red Sonja. They didnt really have enough time to forge a friendship properly, so Sonja going into the tomb alone on just her brand new acquaintance's suggestion is a tad forced, in my opinion.

Also- the artwork was all over the place, ranging from amazing in some panels to WTF in others. But it was serviceable, and should be okay through the entire limited series.

BTW- I am sure we can all agree that the Mel Rubi cover is superb! (both)
    FUN FACT- the walter geovani cover is now my desktop background

Beyond the borders of civilization (Ayer, MA)

Agree almost fully. Almost, because I'd give it a 7. Too much WTF in the art (I hope it gets better), and of the too short conversation, four panels were wasted with goofy expressions and 1 with a goofy expression and a comment that made no sense. Why would someone curse their rescuer? Definite non-starter for me.

I like issue two and feel better about this series now. came back and re-read the comments here on this post and feel more like you guys now, thanks!
    Pull list: Warlord of Mars, Red Sonja Graphic Novels

Issue 2 helped me, too, including the not making sense art problem I mentioned. We milght want another issue or two. Red's in a pickle that 1 issue may not be enough for her to get out of it.

Didn't appreciate the 'murdered' comment in the next issue block. When someone draws steel on you, the options are defend yourself, run away, or get skewered. Red's not one to run, getting skewered ain't happening, so it's fight back time. As in self defense. Any bozo that picks a fight with her pays the price. Even Conan got his butt whupped.
    "Aim at heaven, and you get earth thrown in; aim at earth, and you get neither." C.S. Lewis

Angry

I just read issue 3 of Unchained. It had a surprise cliff hanger at the end that was unexpected so I'll give them props for that. But this issue did not start out well.

They say writers are sometimes worried about disappointing fans with inconsistencies due to the lack of complete knowledge of a character's history. But this was not the case with the art team. They had no worries of inconsistencies, even when it is between 3 consecutive panels.

The last panel on page 2 has a man standing behind a chair. He gets in the chair on page 3 and remains there throughout page 4. All of a sudden, page 5 starts out with him standing behind the chair again in the first panel, only be seated again in the second panel. WTF? Why did they reinsert the panel from page 2 back on page 5?

Here's my guess. They wanted to reiterate that Red Sonja had him in her sights. But instead of redrawing that scene with the man now sitting, they reused the same panel and ruined the flow of the story.

And here's another problem that this panel caused. By reiterating that Red Sonja is in a position from behind, there's no way the arrows can be landing angled as if they were fired from the front. Yeah, I know this is just a comic book. It's fantasy. But c'mon, I'm not expecting rocket science. Just something to make the fantasy plausible.

Page 6 Red Sonja is drawing the arrow back with her left hand (close-up, and where's the bow string?) so the bow must be in her right. On the previous page, it was the opposite with her firing the arrows with the right and bow in left. I'll just assumed she's equally skilled and wants to fire using both hands.

On page 8 Sonja becomes a magician and shows us a sleight of hand trick. In panel 2 she is holding her bow in her right hand and her bag of arrows in her left. Next panel the bow is in the left and arrows are in the right. In the last panel, they switch again. Double WTF?

Ok, enough ragging on the art team. Here's a suggestion for the writer. On page 8, the guy says, " You're not in a position to ask questions." But Sonja never asked any questions.

Better script would have been for him to say, " You're not in a position to demand answers."

OK folks. I know I'm being picky. What can I say? I love comics and take my comics seriously. All I ask is for the writer and the art team to show some pride in their work. And for the editor to proofread it before it goes to print.

Dear Mr. Lieberman and Mr. Rybandt, do you need a proofreader? There's someone on the forums who has already demonstrated he can do the job.

Disclaimer: If there are any errors in my spelling, grammar, etc., it's because there is no reason to proofread a forum post when a comic book gets published without being proofed. Not cool, folks. Not cool.

Good eyes, Denny! Good points, and needed ones. Yes, this is a comic, but even comic stories should have plausability and consistency. In view of what we Sonja fans have been getting lately, those concepts seem to have been forgotten in DE land. We may have a team here. You're good at proofing, I'm a writer, any artists out there?
    "Aim at heaven, and you get earth thrown in; aim at earth, and you get neither." C.S. Lewis

Anyone notice that the ghost queen was Ghita, the Frank Thorne ero comic he created after working on Red Sonja? Interesting touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
    Good eyes, Denny! Good points, and needed ones. Yes, this is a comic, but even comic stories should have plausability and consistency. In view of what we Sonja fans have been getting lately, those concepts seem to have been forgotten in DE land. We may have a team here. You're good at proofing, I'm a writer, any artists out there?
    I also love to write! Want to do some fan fiction story boards of Red Sonja? I got some awesome ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by themightyflip View Post
    Anyone notice that the ghost queen was Ghita, the Frank Thorne ero comic he created after working on Red Sonja? Interesting touch.
    I noticed, and I approved!