Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seven Sonjas

Beyond the borders of civilization (Ayer, MA)

Quote Originally Posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Gail's Secret Six was around for several years before the recent DC reboot, and like everything she does, is excellent.
    Came across a couple of Secret Six TPBs at the shop I usually go to, wanted to see if the new Sonja is out yet. It isn't. Supposedly next week. To the point, looked at them, focuing on Simone's work. Was appalled, disgusted, and ticked off. In that order. The terms 'psychotic', 'psychopathic', and 'perverted' (in the sense of departing from what is normal and right) came to mind. By 'excellent', I presume you mean the technical skill in execution, for those stories (such as I could stomach) were that - well crafted, tight, gripping, but still P.P.P.

If those TPBs are a clue as to what Simone intends for Red, then the Sonja faithfull are chained to the wall in the most wretched of Stygian dungeons. The kindest thing to say is Prophecy on steroids.

I DO hope that is not where she will be taking us, but am not optimistic.
    "Aim at heaven, and you get earth thrown in; aim at earth, and you get neither." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
    Came across a couple of Secret Six TPBs at the shop I usually go to, wanted to see if the new Sonja is out yet. It isn't. Supposedly next week. To the point, looked at them, focuing on Simone's work. Was appalled, disgusted, and ticked off. In that order. The terms 'psychotic', 'psychopathic', and 'perverted' (in the sense of departing from what is normal and right) came to mind. By 'excellent', I presume you mean the technical skill in execution, for those stories (such as I could stomach) were that - well crafted, tight, gripping, but still P.P.P.

If those TPBs are a clue as to what Simone intends for Red, then the Sonja faithfull are chained to the wall in the most wretched of Stygian dungeons. The kindest thing to say is Prophecy on steroids.

Secret Six is probably not the best starting point, as it was slaved to a bunch of cross-title stuff for a long time. Try her run on "The New 52" Batgirl. Her older "Birds of Prey" stuff might also be more representative of her work, as well. Gail's a solid writer; I've not seen her Sonja stuff yet, but I expect it will be quite good.

-E
    ---
    Eric Trautmann
    Writer/editor/graphic-designer/smart-alec
    www.erictrautmann.us

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post

Gaaah. It took a while for me to get into Secret Six and I forgot that the surgically-enhanced psychopaths, chopping up of serial killers and monkey-loving perverts can be kinda overwhelming if you weren't expecting it.

What I loved about that book was its ability to be laugh-out-loud funny, incredibly horrific, inspiring, devastatingly honest, disarmingly warm and shockingly violent ... and not just from page to page but from panel to panel. If Red Sonja can achieve that kind of storytelling, I'll be pretty damn happy.

But hey, Gail's first issue is out in a week, right? So maybe I'll stop hyping it and let's just, y'know, read it

Quote Originally Posted by eric_trautmann View Post
    Secret Six is probably not the best starting point, as it was slaved to a bunch of cross-title stuff for a long time. Try her run on "The New 52" Batgirl. Her older "Birds of Prey" stuff might also be more representative of her work, as well. Gail's a solid writer; I've not seen her Sonja stuff yet, but I expect it will be quite good.

-E
    Seconded for trying New52 Batgirl, really is one of the better written comics out there today and has a consistent voice. On the strength on BG alons I think old Red is in safe hands for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by ChastMastr View Post
    The only Dynamite Sonja I am interested in is the Sonja of the one-shots/minis, 51-75, and the Simone reboot. No interest in Queen Sonja or anything related to it, nor Prophecy given the fallout (ugh).

By the way, love your Lewis quote--huge Lewis fan here.
    That's because the issues you listed are the best Red Sonja stuff Dynamite has ever done. BTW- the first issue by gail simone is very good.