Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: NICK BARUCCI: The MEGATHREAD of "PLEASE GIVE US MORE PULP"!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Generally, I think of it as two different worlds and I think I prefer it that way. The pulp (or noir) world and present day. There's nothing to indicate that the Legacy Green Hornet (or his dad) ever heard of the 40's version so to me one had nothing to do with the other.

There's also the question of the urn. Why would the Shadow, Miss Fury, Black Bat, Spider, etc, not have been pulled in? Were they all retired by then?

So (to me) Dynamite has a pulp style and a modern day setting, similar to the old DC Earth-2 system. Earth-2 had a Superman, but he was a different Superman. Dynamite pulp has a Black Bat, and modern Dynamite has a different Black Bat.

Do I want the two to connect? Not really...

Now I have no idea how Codename Action will play into that. Honestly, I'm anticipating Earth-3; a whole new setting for familiar faces. But the PSP characters that show up are actually the ones that could be out of the urn anyway (not sure about DDD, but Lama and Crusader weren't in it, were they?) and that COULD be Hornet senior, so....
    I thought the urn was from Project Superpowers, which I didn't think had anything to do with the Pulp / Noir type of titles?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought the urn was from Project Superpowers, which I didn't think had anything to do with the Pulp / Noir type of titles?
    It doesn't. That's what I'm saying. The 1940's of the pulp line can not be the same 1940's of the PSP line because if it were, Bat, Spider, Fury, etc, should have been captured in the urn, but they weren't. So to me, one has nothing to do with the other and should stay apart.
    [IMG]http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/images/SP-Lama01-Banner.jpg[/IMG]

It seems Dynamite is playing loose with the different books being connected. You could think of each book as its own universe if you want, unless branded otherwise. That works well considering some books have characters in the classic eras (30s and 40s)while others depict them in the present day.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('')
    http://pulpcrazy.com- A video cast and website dedicated to classic pulp literature.

Quote Originally Posted by PulpCrazy View Post
    It seems Dynamite is playing loose with the different books being connected. You could think of each book as its own universe if you want, unless branded otherwise. That works well considering some books have characters in the classic eras (30s and 40s)while others depict them in the present day.
    That's the way I see it too. There doesn't seem to be any official "universe". Each writer is free to use the characters however he/she sees fit without worrying about any "universe continuity". Personally, I would like more continuity between books/characters but I see the advantage of not having any.
    The Hornet's Nest Podcast - A podcast dedicated to all things Green Hornet!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
    That's the way I see it too. There doesn't seem to be any official "universe". Each writer is free to use the characters however he/she sees fit without worrying about any "universe continuity". Personally, I would like more continuity between books/characters but I see the advantage of not having any.
    Especially if any of those characters are licensed by and not outright claimed by Dynamite.

In general, I agree with all of you. Personally, I enjoy the Pulp characters a little more because it is an escape from the common comic book heroes with superpowers. Sure, The Shadow has some mysticism behind him, but in general the Pulp heroes are the every-man hero (with an exceptional amount of resources and money). So I also would prefer if these 2 universes were kept separate. The different time eras for when all of these comics take place does not bother me so much. I am open to having stories or characters re-interpreted and I am actually a huge fan of the Pulp comics that have been re-invented in the modern era (The Spider and The Black Bat). One thing I could see is new readers might be confused or frustrated by all of the different characters from the 2 universes (The Pulp and Project Superpowers) crossing over with all sorts of different time lines going on in the ongoing series.

Default The future of the pulp line of comics at Dynamite?

So what do you think the future holds for this line of comics known as "Pulp" or "PulpX"? Do you see it expanding with more titles and more books or do you see it leveling out to about where it is now with the current crop of characters? Also, do you ever see a Masks part 2 or another similar series featuring the pulp heroes as one collective unit or anything like that? Where does this line bring us over the next 2 years and why?

I'm so interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
    Chadster!

Currently reading: All Dynamite pulp titles, all Valiant titles.

I don't see the line expanding much beyond where it is currently as far as ongoing books are concerned, but I do think you'll see more mini's based around The Shadow and Green Hornet over the course of the next several years and you'll probably see some of the lesser selling books come to an end unfortunately. I'm guessing that by around the beginning of 2015 you'll see The Shadow and The Green Hornet still on store shelves with other maxi-series titles that support the whole stable of characters having come and gone, and maybe one or two more books based upon other masked vigilante's but I don't think you'll see a huge growing of the books because eventually people will probably stop buying them because too much is out at one time.

If Dynamite limited the line to 4 ongoing titles, some well spread out mini's, and a few large maxi-series titles than I could see this line flourishing. But they seem content to jam The Shadow down our throat's and over saturate him which could hurt the line eventually like it did early on with Green Hornet. All I know is that I DO want more #PulpX in my reading stack and I want this line to survive as long as possible, it's my #1 group of comics today and I'll continue to support them through sales and promotion via my blog and YouTube.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA
    My YouTube Channelhttp://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <------- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 9/22/13 PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: Then & Now by RVGA!

I think the only comics that you'll be seeing going past #12 are the ongoing Shadow and Green Hornet titles (and The Spider, at least for a while). Beyond that I think just a bunch of different crossover series (Shadow or Green Hornet teamed up with any other character from Masks), Year Ones, etc. Unless Dynamite gets Doc Savage and/or The Avenger, I can't see any other pulp properties that they might acquire that would generate enough interest to keep going. Maybe Domino Lady, if they do their own version of that. It's tempting to say they should do a Masks II, III, IV, etc. but frankly they should wait a few years and come up with a really good story and artist, and maybe not even the same exact cast of characters.

I agree. Project Superpowers is a universe. Kirby Genesis is a universe. But Dynamite's "pulp comics" isn't a universe. We have seen 2 or more different versions of The Shadow, Spider, Black Bat, Zorro, Green Hornet & Kato. I am viewing any series in which more than one of these characters interact as sort of an "intercompany crossover" since the copyrights to the characters are all owned by different people (or are public domain in the case of Black Bat and Miss Fury).

Codename Action is the perfect example, since it's obvious that the characters appearing in it are neither the 1930s/1940s versions, nor the modern versions. In the case of PSP characters, the 1940s and modern versions exist in the same universe (and are mostly the exact same characters), but not so with the 1940s Green Hornet, Spider, Black Bat and their modern versions. So in CA we have yet another timeline in the multiverse where some of these characters exist and are active in the 1960s. There are many different versions of The Shadow and Green Hornet, just like there's an "Earth-616" Spider-Man and an Ultimate Spider-Man and a Spider-Man 2099. It's probably a little more subtle and less obvious in the case of The Shadow, since his appearance doesn't vary much from one version to the next, but really each title he appears in is a slightly different version of the character. We are about to get a more "obvious" variant version with The Shadow NOW!
    Last edited by pulphero; 07-24-2013 at 10:40 AM.