Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2960
Merging Characters from Project Superpowers into the Pulp Comics Line?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Merging Characters from Project Superpowers into the Pulp Comics Line?

  1. #1

    Default Merging Characters from Project Superpowers into the Pulp Comics Line?

    Hey Everyone!

    I am rather new to the forum community and wanted to ask some opinion questions related to the pulp universe that Dynamite is creating to see what the community thinks.

    After reading through Dynamite Entertainment's major cross over miniseries Masks (which was awesome by the way) I was left wondering about the status of the pulp universe that Dynamite is creating. At this point in time we have already been introduced to The Shadow, The Green Hornet, The Spider, Miss Fury, and The Black Bat through their ongoing series as well as some Year One miniseries. Though not all of these comic book lines are set in the same time period (for example: The Shadow and Green Hornet are set in traditional pulp eras while The Spider and Black Bat are in modern times,...and Miss Fury well she is a little of both) all of these characters are classic pulp fiction heroes. However, the Masks cross over brought some previous Golden Age superheroes into the same line as the pulp comics. Characters like The Black Terror and Green Lama played large roles in this cross over event (http://unleashthefanboy.s3.amazonaws...10/masks3a.jpg). These characters were previously re-introduced into comics by Dynamite in their Project Superpowers series with some other spin off stories. One character that was included in the Project Superpowers line was The Owl. Dynamite started publishing a new ongoing series based on this character where The Owl has been removed from the Golden Age era and put into modern times (comes out tomorrow so check it out http://cdn3-www.craveonline.com/asse...1-Cov-Ross.jpg). There was also the announcement of Codename: Action which also features The Green Lama again with the pulp fiction characters (http://comicbuzz.com/wp-content/uplo...-Cov1F0D0A.jpg). This got me wondering if Dynamite is trying to merge the pulp fiction universe with the Project Superpowers one. So I was wondering what everyone thinks. Would you like it if these 2 universes were merged together? Or would you prefer they remain separate aside from a few special cross over stories here and there? Not only that, but with all of the characters being spread between their respective eras or thrust into modern times, would you prefer all of the characters are put on the same time line? Or have them randomly distributed between modern eras and pulp/golden age eras? If they are one the same time line which era would you prefer?

    Let me know what you think!

    If you happen to use Twitter and want to discuss comics or science you can follow me @SWagner017.

  2. #2

    Default

    Personally I dont mind if in something like Masks or Codename: Action we get a mix up of the two lines, but I prefer to keep them seperate because I prefer the Pulp titles to the golden aged heroes though I do enjoy both. I just want to keep them apart.

  3. #3

    Default

    I really didn't like it in Masks. Miss Fury fit in ok, actually pretty well, but the Black Terror stuck out like a sore thumb.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('')
    http://pulpcrazy.com - A video cast and website dedicated to classic pulp literature.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWagner017 View Post
    . . . After reading through Dynamite Entertainment's major cross over miniseries Masks (which was awesome by the way) I was left wondering about the status of the pulp universe that Dynamite is creating. At this point in time we have already been introduced to The Shadow, The Green Hornet, The Spider, Miss Fury, and The Black Bat through their ongoing series as well as some Year One miniseries. Though not all of these comic book lines are set in the same time period (for example: The Shadow and Green Hornet are set in traditional pulp eras while The Spider and Black Bat are in modern times,...and Miss Fury well she is a little of both) all of these characters are classic pulp fiction heroes.
    I thought the main Green Hornet book (Green Hornet Legacy, but had previously been just “Green Hornet”) was in present-day, and the more recent one by Mark Waid was the one set in the traditional past?

    And I don't think Miss Fury was ever technically "a classic pulp fiction" hero. She got her start as a newspaper comic strip that had been created by a female, while a majority of the pulp fiction characters had their origins in stories published in the magazines that were referred to as pulps.

  5. #5

    Default

    Generally, I think of it as two different worlds and I think I prefer it that way. The pulp (or noir) world and present day. There's nothing to indicate that the Legacy Green Hornet (or his dad) ever heard of the 40's version so to me one had nothing to do with the other.

    There's also the question of the urn. Why would the Shadow, Miss Fury, Black Bat, Spider, etc, not have been pulled in? Were they all retired by then?

    So (to me) Dynamite has a pulp style and a modern day setting, similar to the old DC Earth-2 system. Earth-2 had a Superman, but he was a different Superman. Dynamite pulp has a Black Bat, and modern Dynamite has a different Black Bat.

    Do I want the two to connect? Not really...

    Now I have no idea how Codename Action will play into that. Honestly, I'm anticipating Earth-3; a whole new setting for familiar faces. But the PSP characters that show up are actually the ones that could be out of the urn anyway (not sure about DDD, but Lama and Crusader weren't in it, were they?) and that COULD be Hornet senior, so....

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Generally, I think of it as two different worlds and I think I prefer it that way. The pulp (or noir) world and present day. There's nothing to indicate that the Legacy Green Hornet (or his dad) ever heard of the 40's version so to me one had nothing to do with the other.

    There's also the question of the urn. Why would the Shadow, Miss Fury, Black Bat, Spider, etc, not have been pulled in? Were they all retired by then?

    So (to me) Dynamite has a pulp style and a modern day setting, similar to the old DC Earth-2 system. Earth-2 had a Superman, but he was a different Superman. Dynamite pulp has a Black Bat, and modern Dynamite has a different Black Bat.

    Do I want the two to connect? Not really...

    Now I have no idea how Codename Action will play into that. Honestly, I'm anticipating Earth-3; a whole new setting for familiar faces. But the PSP characters that show up are actually the ones that could be out of the urn anyway (not sure about DDD, but Lama and Crusader weren't in it, were they?) and that COULD be Hornet senior, so....
    I thought the urn was from Project Superpowers, which I didn't think had anything to do with the Pulp / Noir type of titles?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought the urn was from Project Superpowers, which I didn't think had anything to do with the Pulp / Noir type of titles?
    It doesn't. That's what I'm saying. The 1940's of the pulp line can not be the same 1940's of the PSP line because if it were, Bat, Spider, Fury, etc, should have been captured in the urn, but they weren't. So to me, one has nothing to do with the other and should stay apart.

  8. #8

    Default

    It seems Dynamite is playing loose with the different books being connected. You could think of each book as its own universe if you want, unless branded otherwise. That works well considering some books have characters in the classic eras (30s and 40s)while others depict them in the present day.
    $this->handle_bbcode_sigpic('')
    http://pulpcrazy.com - A video cast and website dedicated to classic pulp literature.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PulpCrazy View Post
    It seems Dynamite is playing loose with the different books being connected. You could think of each book as its own universe if you want, unless branded otherwise. That works well considering some books have characters in the classic eras (30s and 40s)while others depict them in the present day.
    That's the way I see it too. There doesn't seem to be any official "universe". Each writer is free to use the characters however he/she sees fit without worrying about any "universe continuity". Personally, I would like more continuity between books/characters but I see the advantage of not having any.
    The Hornet's Nest Podcast - A podcast dedicated to all things Green Hornet!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
    That's the way I see it too. There doesn't seem to be any official "universe". Each writer is free to use the characters however he/she sees fit without worrying about any "universe continuity". Personally, I would like more continuity between books/characters but I see the advantage of not having any.
    Especially if any of those characters are licensed by and not outright claimed by Dynamite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •