Page 117 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1421

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

I am buying all the Warlord of Mars tie-in titles as I am an ERB completest. At least with the DT and the GMOM series, there seems to be an undercurrent story about racial stances and discrimination. The previous series, DT and the White Apes of Mars displayed not much story (especially over four plus issues) and contained more of the obvious T & A stuff that is not as necessary as the characters are alluring as they are designed in the beginning. In the main Warlord of Marsejah Thoris series seems to have developed a definitive personality for DT and her cast.

I am just hoping that the main Warlord of Mars title catches up on its shipping schedule. Going what appear bi-monthly is helping catch up.

G'day,

Does anyone have any updates? The books are still being published so I assume ERB have not won or its still going through the courts. If ERB does lose the case then Dynamite can also do the pre 1923 stories as well , such as Pellucidar and the Moon Maid.

ta

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    Does anyone have any updates? The books are still being published so I assume ERB have not won or its still going through the courts. If ERB does lose the case then Dynamite can also do the pre 1923 stories as well , such as Pellucidar and the Moon Maid.
    Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. has their own line of comics, but they're only available online, in the half-page newspaper strip format (which corresponds to the landscape format of computer screens). The strips include Tarzan, Carson of Venus, The Eternal Savage, The War Chief, Cave Girl, and Pellucidar. You can view samples of the strips here. ERB Inc. charges $1.99 per month for a subscription, which includes new weekly installments of all the strips. Oddly enough, no John Carter strip (maybe they're afraid DE's Warlord of Mars would look better by comparison?) Or maybe Marvel still holds the exclusive option for JC because of the recent film, including the digital comic rights.

It's a shame that DE and ERB Inc. can't work out some sort of resolution to the benefit of everyone; it wouldn't be the first time an unauthorized edition of ERB became an officially licensed edition. If two different comic book companies (Dark Horse and IDW) can publish authorized Tarzan reprints concurrently, their ought to be room for a third company (DE) to publish authorized new material.
    Last edited by pulphero; 09-05-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. has their own line of comics, but they're only available online, in the half-page newspaper strip format (which corresponds to the landscape format of computer screens). The strips include Tarzan, Carson of Venus, The Eternal Savage, The War Chief, Cave Girl, and Pellucidar. You can view samples of the strips here. ERB Inc. charges $1.99 per month for a subscription, which includes new weekly installments of all the strips. Oddly enough, no John Carter strip (maybe they're afraid DE's Warlord of Mars would look better by comparison?)

It's a shame that DE and ERB Inc. can't work out some sort of resolution to the benefit of everyone; it wouldn't be the first time an unauthorized edition of ERB became an officially licensed edition.
    Yes, I'm aware ERB Inc are doing an online strip. But the Dynamite stuff seems much more interesting. As a reader I would much rather see DE build the Burroughs universe in comics form. If the trademark matter was resolved in DE's favor they could do the other main Burroughs characters now with the exception of Carson of Venus. Considering the all the stories become public domain in 2020 anyway I can understand ERB's position. Lets keep the gravy train going through the trademark laws. But in my view that goes completely against the intention of the limits on copyright. That there has been no news for over a year on the story indicates to me its still probably going through the courts.

ta

Ralph

Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. has their own line of comics, but they're only available online, in the half-page newspaper strip format (which corresponds to the landscape format of computer screens). The strips include Tarzan, Carson of Venus, The Eternal Savage, The War Chief, Cave Girl, and Pellucidar. You can view samples of the strips here. ERB Inc. charges $1.99 per month for a subscription, which includes new weekly installments of all the strips. Oddly enough, no John Carter strip (maybe they're afraid DE's Warlord of Mars would look better by comparison?) Or maybe Marvel still holds the exclusive option for JC because of the recent film, including the digital comic rights.

It's a shame that DE and ERB Inc. can't work out some sort of resolution to the benefit of everyone; it wouldn't be the first time an unauthorized edition of ERB became an officially licensed edition. If two different comic book companies (Dark Horse and IDW) can publish authorized Tarzan reprints concurrently, their ought to be room for a third company (DE) to publish authorized new material.
    Thanks for the link, some of those strips looks good, but I don't really read digital, maybe I'll try. Come on DE you and ERB please work this thing out.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    Considering the all the stories become public domain in 2020 anyway I can understand ERB's position. Lets keep the gravy train going through the trademark laws. But in my view that goes completely against the intention of the limits on copyright.
    Copyrights expire after a given period of time, giving anyone the right to copy (as in reprint, or adapt) the original work. Trademarks are a completely different matter. Once secured, there is no expiration date; they are viable and protected as long as they are maintained in usage. Trademarks relate to names or phrases, brands, and logos or other identity marks or symbols. ERB Inc. has every right to maintain its trademarks. The specific matter under question here is whether or not ERB has maintained trademarks to the phrases or brand names "Warlord of Mars", "Dejah Thoris", and "Lord of the Jungle". ERB Inc. claims that it has, but I have my doubts. It's pretty clear that they have maintained the trademarks to "Tarzan", "Korak, Son of Tarzan", and "John Carter of Mars", however.

Make no mistake, the ERB Inc. online comic strips are a belated attempt to secure trademarks on names to ERB's works in which the copyrights have expired or will expire soon. That does nothing to prevent the exploitation of the content of the works themselves by anyone once the copyright is expired, but it does give ERB Inc. something to trade in. However, the burden is on them to maintain the trademarks in usage. If they don't, for whatever reason, then they lose the protection that comes with those trademarks.

Trademark law doesn't "go against the intent" of copyright law. If it did there would be no need for trademark law; it covers a different area, preventing unfair competition in commerce. Trademarks are about actual products or services for sale, whereas copyrights cover the area of "intellectual property" (ideas). With a trademark, you can copy the idea, but not the name. We call these 'cheap knock-offs' or 'no-name brands'. There is a lot of confusion in the general public about the specific meanings and usages of copyrights, trademarks, and patents.
    Last edited by pulphero; 09-05-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Wow...

I missed this thread until today!

Scary stuff. Dynamite has done the best job ever with the Barsoomian Stuffs (besides Eddy Baby himself!) and I hope they continue to do so for a long time to come.

I think I'll write to ERB Inc and ask them to try and work something out rather than sue for stoppage. Perhaps they simply never read any of the comics in question?

Best of luck to DE and if there's any sort of online petition to ask ERB to play nice - please direct me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicalman View Post
    Wow...

I missed this thread until today!

Scary stuff. Dynamite has done the best job ever with the Barsoomian Stuffs (besides Eddy Baby himself!) and I hope they continue to do so for a long time to come.

I think I'll write to ERB Inc and ask them to try and work something out rather than sue for stoppage. Perhaps they simply never read any of the comics in question?

Best of luck to DE and if there's any sort of online petition to ask ERB to play nice - please direct me to it!
    I agree! Now that the Disney movie is a thing of the past (unfortunately, there will be no apparent sequels), and with no further Marvel mini-series (I was hoping for a third to wrap up the Barsoomian trilogy), DE and the ERB Inc. need to come together. DE is publishing good adaptions and new stories for these characters and it would be a shame to see that end.

Someone let me know where such a petition would exist!

Just read Lords of Mars #2 and Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris #29--excellent reads and awesome art! Great covers! DE's version of these characters needs to survive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    I agree! Now that the Disney movie is a thing of the past (unfortunately, there will be no apparent sequels), and with no further Marvel mini-series (I was hoping for a third to wrap up the Barsoomian trilogy), DE and the ERB Inc. need to come together. DE is publishing good adaptions and new stories for these characters and it would be a shame to see that end.

Someone let me know where such a petition would exist!

Just read Lords of Mars #2 and Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris #29--excellent reads and awesome art! Great covers! DE's version of these characters needs to survive!!!
    Sanctioning DE's ERB titles would definitely be an asset to ERB Inc. They are helping to promote these characters and keep them in the public eye, and perhaps bring new fans into the fold as well. The fact that they are one of DE's most successful franchises is saying something.

It's hard to know how ERB Inc. might be looking at it, though. Marvel's recent John Carter adaptations were considerably tamer. Even though DE's level of semi-nudity and sexiness (though without any overt sex) is technically accurate to the stories as Burroughs wrote them, there may be a strong inclination at ERB Inc. to keep these characters firmly slanted in a "Rated G" direction, to keep all their options open for cartoons, toys, and other products aimed at children.

Regarding the recently-discontinued DE series Lord of the Jungle, I wonder if there might not be something to ERB Inc.'s claim of trademark to that term. Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle (the eleventh Tarzan novel) is still under copyright in the US (and even if DE isn't adapting the novel, they are using part of the title), and furthermore the title "Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle" was used for Filmation's animated TV series which aired from 1976-1984.
    Last edited by pulphero; 09-05-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Regarding the recently-discontinued DE series Lord of the Jungle, I wonder if there might not be something to ERB Inc.'s claim of trademark to that term. Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle (the eleventh Tarzan novel) is still under copyright in the US (and even if DE isn't adapting the novel, they are using part of the title), and furthermore the title "Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle" was used for Filmation's animated TV series which aired from 1976-1984.
    I would thik if that was the only problem DE could change the title to something like "Jungle Lord" and be in the clear.