Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2960
Noir: New Pulp series - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noir: New Pulp series

DE seems to be doing what they can right by just releasing mini-series. Marketing indicates that people buy #1s more (since it is "new"). On-going series rarely continue for any company other than DC and Marvel.

Perhaps instead on an on-going DHP style title, lets have a series of one-shots under a certain heading like Masks or Noir? I could see one-shots coming from DE emphasizing their Pulp Universe with one-shots called Masks: The Spider versus Green Hornet, Noir: Miss Fury's Rage, etc. Either a series of one-shots or a series of mini-series (without break--follow one Masks mini-series with another).

I need to read my reply for typos and grammar errors in the future. Sorry.

Default Now that people have had a chance to read issue #1, . . .

. . . how do you folks feel about it?

I wasn't sure about buying this in the first place, but decided I wanted to give it a try.

But between the mediocre-to-awful artwork and the less-than-exciting writing, I wish I had trusted my first instincts. I felt like The Shadow was totally misdrawn and came off like an amateur, and I really don't find anything interesting or worthwhile when it comes to the generic Black Sparrow.

The last-page drawing of Miss Fury and Black Sparrow was stiff and awkward. I'd like to support a title with two female leads, but I can't do it in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . how do you folks feel about it?

I wasn't sure about buying this in the first place, but decided I wanted to give it a try.

But between the mediocre-to-awful artwork and the less-than-exciting writing, I wish I had trusted my first instincts. I felt like The Shadow was totally misdrawn and came off like an amateur, and I really don't find anything interesting or worthwhile when it comes to the generic Black Sparrow.

The last-page drawing of Miss Fury and Black Sparrow was stiff and awkward. I'd like to support a title with two female leads, but I can't do it in this case.
    I didn't love it, but I wasn't expecting to. Didn't hate it either. What the heck, it's only 5 issues, I'll see where it goes. Have to admit Black Sparrow doesn't really do anything for me.

I liked it enough, but because I haven't read much Shadown stuff, I wouldn't be bothered by him being out of character or some such. I don't know him well enough to tell the difference.

I didn't real get much out of Sparrow either and the art was indeed clunky at times. Still, I'll keep going with it.

I dunno. I liked it a bunch.

I loved the banter between the two (and Margo's little cameo).

Default Issue #2 is out...

Artist Andrea Mutti really needs to do some period research. On the very first page in panel 1, we are shown what appears to be a very modern hospital, with buildings entirely glass-faced. Then in panel 4, we see a nurse in a miniskirt obviously much too short for the time period. Panels 2, 3, and 4 show a modern automatic elevator (complete with plastic backlit up/down arrow indicators) instead of an old-fashioned elevator with an operator. The automobiles were nicely researched and drawn, but that's about all she did. Most of the incidental characters look fine (although she seems to have problems drawing hats), but her interpretations of Black Sparrow and Miss Fury are both very dull, un-dynamic, and unsexy-looking, which would seem to be missing the whole point of starring them together in a series. It does make you appreciate how important artist Jack Herbert was to making Miss Fury's own series work. Unfortunately, as I feared, it appears that The Shadow is out of the story from this issue forward.

Since Victor Gischler's storyline has failed to capture my interest in the first 2 issues, I guess I'll be dropping the book from my pull list.
    Last edited by pulphero; 12-07-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Its great to see Black Sparrow back, she's an awesome character. Nice start to this series, I wouldn't mind seeing it as an ongoing, myself.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Artist Andrea Mutti really needs to do some period research. On the very first page in panel 1, we are shown what appears to be a very modern hospital, with buildings entirely glass-faced. Then in panel 4, we see a nurse in a miniskirt obviously much too short for the time period. Panels 2, 3, and 4 show a modern automatic elevator (complete with plastic backlit up/down arrow indicators) instead of an old-fashioned elevator with an operator.
    I didn't buy the issue, but maybe this was a modern (for then), more art deco style building with futuristic conveniences?