Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Key characters relaunch with Dynamite!

http://www.newsarama.com/19408-creat...ey-lineup.html
    So Mighty Samson is already in the oven and that Vampirella/Turok idea does sound cool.

So yeah, Samson's in the cooker, along with the other handful of Gold Key properties...(he said relatively ominously)

Let the voting commence.

I don't know if these titles would share a universe, but Magnus future and Mighty Samson's future is kind of contradicting, ones a techno advance metropolis, while the other is a post-apocalyptic landscape.
    My other picks:
    MARS Patrol- commandos battling aliens
    Brothers of the Spear- would bring diversity and stories set in the African jungle.

G'day,

Not really, Magnus was set in the year 4000 AD, plenty of time for civilisation to recover.

ta

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    I don't know if these titles would share a universe, but Magnus future and Mighty Samson's future is kind of contradicting, ones a techno advance metropolis, while the other is a post-apocalyptic landscape.

So what kind of things would you like to see done with this line as it matures along?
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Im just glad to see these classic characters back in the limelight again and something I would like to see done is for the books to go about a year before crossing over to establish the characters on their own first. Also, since they bought the rights to all the gold key characters I'd love to see some mini's and ongoings based on characters other than the 4 initial books Dynamite is publishing.
    Chadster!

Currently reading: All Dynamite pulp titles, all Valiant titles.

Well, I think the best bet is to release the initial 4 books and let them resonate with readers for a while before even thinking about expanding the line. I would give each book about 12-17 issues of establishing these characters with their new (and old) audience before you do anything with crossovers or even think about expanding to more books, but more books would be key to making this feel like a universe all it's own. I would say around issue #14 I would begin testing the waters with a 5th book and then by issue #20 I'd introduce a 6th title, but only if the 4 books are selling well enough to support expansion.

I just hope Dynamite backs this line hard and doesn't fade off like they seem to do with their books, this line could be the ice breaker they needed to really take a solid chunk of the market for themselves and be up around Image level within the industry.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA
    My YouTube Channelhttp://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <------- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 9/22/13 PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: Then & Now by RVGA!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Well, I think the best bet is to release the initial 4 books and let them resonate with readers for a while before even thinking about expanding the line. I would give each book about 12-17 issues of establishing these characters with their new (and old) audience before you do anything with crossovers or even think about expanding to more books, but more books would be key to making this feel like a universe all it's own. I would say around issue #14 I would begin testing the waters with a 5th book and then by issue #20 I'd introduce a 6th title, but only if the 4 books are selling well enough to support expansion.

I just hope Dynamite backs this line hard and doesn't fade off like they seem to do with their books, this line could be the ice breaker they needed to really take a solid chunk of the market for themselves and be up around Image level within the industry.
    Yeah DE just take your time and don't let this line end up like PSP or KG. We don't need a full-blown crossover in the first year but some Easter-eggs to show connections between the books would be nice.

Each of these properties was originally conceived by Gold Key as existing in its own universe. I think the only ones that should cross over (WAY down the road, at least a year or two) are the ones that exist in the present time. Most of the series actually take place in the future (Magnus Robot Fighter, Mighty Samson, Space Family Robinson, Captain Johner and the Aliens) or the past (Turok Son of Stone, Dagar the Invincible, Tragg and the Sky Gods,), and most of the futures are alternate timelines that don't share a common history. I don't think they should try to force all these timelines into some sort of consistent history. I could see something like a Dr. Solar/Dr. Spektor crossover, but even that fails to excite me much. Solar inhabits the world of science, while Spektor inhabits the world of the occult, so they can be said to exist in 'different worlds', both metaphorically and metaphysically. Probably the most logical crossover would be something like Russ Manning's The Aliens (without Captain Johner) putting in an appearance in Magnus' world of 4000 AD, although I suppose they could also appear in Space Family Robinson. That's something that's a bit more subtle than a full-blown crossover in the Marvel or DC Universe sense. The disparity of common backgrounds among these various series does not make for a naturally-integrated 'comic book universe' because they were never created with that idea in mind. Of course Marvel and DC have always published different series taking place in the past or various alternate future timelines as well, but the bulk of their superhero series take place in the here and now. Gold Key had too few original properties that fit that mold.

Roll out each new series slowly and let each succeed or fail in the marketplace, replacing the less popular ones with some newly-revived series to see how that one fares.
    Last edited by pulphero; 11-07-2013 at 02:20 AM.

I think in the original GK Dr. Spektor was a descendant of Daggar and Tragg, MARS Patrol can probably share a world with Solar. Depending on how DE does the Lost Land, Turok can meet anybody.