Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Key characters relaunch with Dynamite!

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    I'm guessing its eighter pre-Columbian America or early Post-Columbian.
    If it were "Son of Stone", I'd feel pretty confident about that, but since it's "Dinosaur Hunter", I'm not sure whether they're hewing closer to the recent Dark Horse iteration of the character, or the 1990s Valiant iteration. Since all we see on the cover besides Turok and dinosaurs is a silhouette of a helmeted figure that is inconsistent with the pre/post Columbian era, that's no help either. If others of his tribe were depicted as all wearing traditional buckskins. etc. at least that would be confirmation that the series takes place in the past.

Another thing - since the dinosaurs are attacking the Indian tribe, we don't know if they're time-displaced, or merely escapees from some 'lost land' (having survived extinction) or some semi-permanently located time rift/dimensional hole. We do know that Turok is exiled from his tribe, so perhaps he becomes a "dinosaur hunter" in an effort to track the dinos back to their source and destroy the nest or herd (and what he may find in doing so might exceed his expectations or understanding); this may be a way of redeeming himself in the eyes of his people.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    If it were "Son of Stone", I'd feel pretty confident about that, but since it's "Dinosaur Hunter", I'm not sure whether they're hewing closer to the recent Dark Horse iteration of the character, or the 1990s Valiant iteration. Since all we see on the cover besides Turok and dinosaurs is a silhouette of a helmeted figure that is inconsistent with the pre/post Columbian era, that's no help either. If others of his tribe were depicted as all wearing traditional buckskins. etc. at least that would be confirmation that the series takes place in the past.

Another thing - since the dinosaurs are attacking the Indian tribe, we don't know if they're time-displaced, or merely escapees from some 'lost land' (having survived extinction) or some semi-permanently located time rift/dimensional hole. We do know that Turok is exiled from his tribe, so perhaps he becomes a "dinosaur hunter" in an effort to track the dinos back to their source and destroy the nest or herd (and what he may find in doing so might exceed his expectations or understanding); this may be a way of redeeming himself in the eyes of his people.
    I think "Dinosaur Hunter" is a more commercially successful name. It actually tells you the customer what to expect. I remember as a kid seeing "Son of Stone" wondering why he is called that name.

As much as I would want a continuation of one of the previous runs of Turok, particularly my love of Tim Truman's run in Valiant, it is better that a true reboot exist. DE could always reprint previous runs in the form of TPBs, especially that Tim Truman run! It is best that this Turok series not be a continuation of a 1970s series (only a few of us remember the 70s). The Dark Horse series was so short lived. The Valiant was tied into the other Valiant/Unity story-lines and the Acclaim run was confusing to those following the Valiant run. DE is correct with this character (as well as Magnus, Specktor, and Solar) to restart these titles at ground level. Putting Turok in an established time period and having him encounter dinosaurs from some method (Valiant had time-eggs, the original Gold Key run had the Lost Valley, Dark Horse had some lost time dimension). We will see which direction Turok will encounter his dinosaurs. On a primal level, Turok is going to be a Native American that hunts dinosaurs, Magnus is going to fight robots, and Specktor is going to investigate the occult--what more is needed except good stories and art?

Looking at the cover, I see Turok facing down some Raptors. Didn't paleontologists after the beloved Jurassic Park movie recently reveal that the raptors had feathers? I know it looks more menacing on a primal level to have lizards try to eat you but more recent dinosaur findings have indicated that they were more of bird ancestors. Hopefully, the artists will conduct some research on the latest findings of all dinosaurs for this series.

I am getting Turok, Magnus, and Specktor!! Thank you DE!
    Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 11-17-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Solar's accident can cause a time-rift, that causes both Turok, his tribe and the dinosaurs, to be displaced in history.

That armored knight in the background is suspect, I'm really intrigued by him and can't wait for this to launch. Dynamite better advertise the hell out of this as this line of books could be the get to get us into the #4 slot with a high success.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Wrong book, the Valda you're talking about is from a DC book called Arak son of Thunder.
    Yes, that was a joke. Alas, we never got the planned and announced Valda miniseries. Loved Arak, though!

(Yay, someone other than me remembers Arak! I liked it a lot more--so much more historical/literary stuff--than the recent Demon Knights series.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    I think "Dinosaur Hunter" is a more commercially successful name. It actually tells you the customer what to expect. I remember as a kid seeing "Son of Stone" wondering why he is called that name.
    "Two-Rock, Son of Stone". Short for Son of the Stone Age. Granted, you don't hear the term "Stone Age" much these days except in reruns of The Flintstones. In the original concept, Turok was the invader in the dinosaurs' world. He was more hunted than hunter. Since you brought up the naming of names, however... I always wondered why Dr. Solar was atomic-powered and not solar-powered. Shouldn't he have been named "Dr. Atomic"? Come to think of it, Kal-El gets his power from solar energy, so shouldn't he be more accurately named "Solarman" instead of "Superman"?

As much as I would want a continuation of one of the previous runs of Turok, particularly my love of Tim Truman's run in Valiant, it is better that a true reboot exist. It is best that this Turok series not be a continuation of a 1970s series (only a few of us remember the 70s). DE is correct with this character (as well as Magnus, Specktor, and Solar) to restart these titles at ground level.
    Actually, TUROK, SON OF STONE began as a Dell comic book in the mid-1950s, and arguably had its greatest popularity in its first 10 years of existence. Gold Key did not become the publisher until issue #30 (December 1962) when Western Publishing (who had always packaged the title for Dell) struck out on its own due to a disagreement with Dell over money. The book eventually had a run of 125 issues and was cancelled with the January 1980 issue. Even the Valiant run is 20 years old now!

DE could always reprint previous runs in the form of TPBs, especially that Tim Truman run! The Valiant was tied into the other Valiant/Unity story-lines and the Acclaim run was confusing to those following the Valiant run.
    I think you just mentioned the reason Dynamite probably won't be reprinting any of the Valiant run. (A) too many crossovers (with characters now owned by other people) peppered through the run means they would need to skip issues (perhaps to the point that what remains may not make sense), and (B) since DE is rebooting from scratch, why confuse new readers with a different, unrelated Turok?

On a primal level, Turok is going to be a Native American that hunts dinosaurs, Magnus is going to fight robots, and Specktor is going to investigate the occult--what more is needed except good stories and art?
    Yeah, just that little detail. Boy, if only it were as easy as you make it sound. Not that good stories and art are any guarantee of success in the marketplace, mind you -- more's the pity.

Looking at the cover, I see Turok facing down some Raptors. Didn't paleontologists after the beloved Jurassic Park movie recently reveal that the raptors had feathers? I know it looks more menacing on a primal level to have lizards try to eat you but more recent dinosaur findings have indicated that they were more of bird ancestors. Hopefully, the artists will conduct some research on the latest findings of all dinosaurs for this series.
    I wouldn't count on it. Nor does it ruin my enjoyment of the series if they don't. It's all theory and speculation, anyway, since feathers and skin don't fossilize. I'm not going to waste any time worrying about stuff like that any more than I care what color the dinosaurs are, how they survived extinction, or the specific physics of any time travel that may be involved. If DE says they're lizards, then lizards it is.
    Last edited by pulphero; 11-18-2013 at 09:54 PM.

G'day,

Heres some more speculation. Have a look at the artwork just up on the website. Turok has metal weapons which appear to be iron or steel. I don't think pre European Native Americans had such technology. They had copper but not iron. So could Turok be set in the post apocalypse world of Mighty Samson? Perhaps seperated by several centuries? Remember Magnus is supposed to be set in 4000 AD. theres plenty of time for civilisation to fall and rise again.

ta

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post

I wouldn't count on it. Nor does it ruin my enjoyment of the series if they don't. It's all theory and speculation, anyway, since feathers and skin don't fossilize. I'm not going to waste any time worrying about stuff like that any more than I care what color the dinosaurs are, how they survived extinction, or the specific physics of any time travel that may be involved. If DE says they're lizards, then lizards it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    G'day,

Heres some more speculation. Have a look at the artwork just up on the website. Turok has metal weapons which appear to be iron or steel. I don't think pre European Native Americans had such technology. They had copper but not iron. So could Turok be set in the post apocalypse world of Mighty Samson? Perhaps seperated by several centuries? Remember Magnus is supposed to be set in 4000 AD. theres plenty of time for civilisation to fall and rise again.

ta

Ralph
    I doubt it, I think it would be early post-European America, but there has to be some sort of time anomaly too make all these heroes from different eras, share a universe.

I doubt it, I think it would be early post-European America, but there has to be some sort of time anomaly too make all these heroes from different eras, share a universe.
    Not really. They can share the same universe in different time periods. Of course, time travel would be necessary for any sort of crossover story.

I kind of hope it's pre-European America, just because, well, more chance of a happy ending. Maybe his tribe could make it into the Lost Land?