Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Key characters relaunch with Dynamite!

Quote Originally Posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Re smallpox, I'm talking about the deliberate spreading of the disease to kill the natives by the Europeans--not anything unintended. It's not relevant that Turok's tribe would know about smallpox any more than it would be relevant for a Jewish community in Germany in the 1800s to know about the future Nazi gas chambers, but again, if they could survive somehow, that would be cool. And since we know about the Native American genocide now, in fiction, having a tribe survive--in its own land, without being a conquered remnant with centuries of being second- or third-class citizens to overcome--would be really cool. And since there is going to be something apparently showing stories involving the Lost Land and stories about a fictional present/future Earth, then, again, I think that having Turok's pre-Columbian tribe able to thrive and grow and not be subjected to those horrors would be a very cool story to read. Not really sure what else to add here.

Surely I am not the only one, when reading stories that involve pre-Columbian Native American civilizations, for whom awareness of their whole world's future destruction is almost inescapable? It's like reading adventures of people from vanished Krypton: No matter how cool the world is, or their adventures are, or how wonderful the civilization shown is, you know the planet's going to explode X number of years later. And since, in fiction, we can at least imagine better things than we have in reality, and the concept of Turok and the Lost Land lends itself to travel to another world--and we know we're going to see the future of all of this in the other Gold Key titles--well, then, why the hell not have something good happen to his tribe, rather than them all dying or dealing with all the other crap all the other real-world tribes had happen in real life? (I think they did that with Arak's tribe, the Quontauka, and established that they had stayed safe in a secret homeland until the 1940s when they sent Flying Fox to join the Young All-Stars.)
    So you want Turoks tribe to be the Wakanda of the GKU.

Re smallpox, I'm talking about the deliberate spreading of the disease to kill the natives by the Europeans--not anything unintended. It's not relevant that Turok's tribe would know about smallpox any more than it would be relevant for a Jewish community in Germany in the 1800s to know about the future Nazi gas chambers, but again, if they could survive somehow, that would be cool. And since we know about the Native American genocide now, in fiction, having a tribe survive--in its own land, without being a conquered remnant with centuries of being second- or third-class citizens to overcome--would be really cool. And since there is going to be something apparently showing stories involving the Lost Land and stories about a fictional present/future Earth, then, again, I think that having Turok's pre-Columbian tribe able to thrive and grow and not be subjected to those horrors would be a very cool story to read. Not really sure what else to add here.

Surely I am not the only one, when reading stories that involve pre-Columbian Native American civilizations, for whom awareness of their whole world's future destruction is almost inescapable? It's like reading adventures of people from vanished Krypton: No matter how cool the world is, or their adventures are, or how wonderful the civilization shown is, you know the planet's going to explode X number of years later. And since, in fiction, we can at least imagine better things than we have in reality, and the concept of Turok and the Lost Land lends itself to travel to another world--and we know we're going to see the future of all of this in the other Gold Key titles--well, then, why the hell not have something good happen to his tribe, rather than them all dying or dealing with all the other crap all the other real-world tribes had happen in real life? (I think they did that with Arak's tribe, the Quontauka, and established that they had stayed safe in a secret homeland until the 1940s when they sent Flying Fox to join the Young All-Stars.)
    The Lost Land as a sort of "Bottle City of Kandor" for Turok's people?

It's just that the Lost Land is a world of dinosaurs in which humans were never meant to exist, despite the many movies and books in which humans and dinosaurs are inaccurately depicted as cohabiting the same time period. Humans did not evolve naturally as part of that ecosystem. Either the dinosaurs slowly kill off the tribe through attrition, or the tribe somehow manages to slowly kill off the dinosaurs and conquer that world to make it safe for human habitation. While Native American cultures typically believed in integrating and peacefully coexisting with the natural world, I don't think that's possible in the Lost Land. It's an eat-or-be-eaten, highly competitive world of survival of the fittest. If Turok's tribe do survive and thrive and grow there, it's only by eventually eradicating the dinosaur population, at least all of the truly dangerous predators, and the rest become farm animals. So then the Lost Land becomes a time-pocket where Turok's tribe survived extinction, but not the dinosaurs. Even though that may take many decades, surely the Lost Land of Solar's, Mighty Samson's, or Magnus' time would be significantly changed from the Lost Land that Turok and his tribe first entered. Some future descendant of Turok will have run out of dinosaurs to hunt. Humans change the world around them to make it more habitable for humans; it's what we do. Europeans changed the Americas to make them more habitable for Europeans, according to their perspective.

Now that you mention it, it's very difficult to envision what the world would be like today without that clash of cultures. Would it be a better world? Perhaps better from the perspective of peoples of Amerind ancestry. But who can truly judge? Not trying to softpedal the genocidal aspect here, but -- it happened. Undoubtedly the world would be a far different place now, but it's hard to imagine exactly in what way.

So, should I start a Gold Key forum on the boards soon, or should I wait a bit? You guys decide.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    So, should I start a Gold Key forum on the boards soon, or should I wait a bit? You guys decide.
    Honestly, I would wait at least until the first issues of all 4 announced titles are out. Then you can move any related threads at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Undoubtedly the world would be a far different place now, but it's hard to imagine exactly in what way.
    And that's where speculative/fantastic fiction comes in. We can imagine all sorts of cool things (including, as the original Turok stories had, dinosaurs and all sorts of species--including tribal human-types--coexisting in whatever time-lost/dimensional/hollow-earth/etc. place it was. Something Pellucidar-ish?). And, yes, to the poster above, centuries after Turok's time, something analogous to Wakanda might not be a bad thing.

PS: Technically it would be less like Kandor and more like Rokyn.

And that's where speculative/fantastic fiction comes in. We can imagine all sorts of cool things (including, as the original Turok stories had, dinosaurs and all sorts of species--including tribal human-types--coexisting in whatever time-lost/dimensional/hollow-earth/etc. place it was. Something Pellucidar-ish?). And, yes, to the poster above, centuries after Turok's time, something analogous to Wakanda might not be a bad thing.
    Still trying to wrap my brain around the part where the tribe takes a look around the Lost Land and someone says, "Hey, THIS looks like a good to move to. I can see potential...!"

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Still trying to wrap my brain around the part where the tribe takes a look around the Lost Land and someone says, "Hey, THIS looks like a good to move to. I can see potential...!"
    Well, they might not have a choice. They might wind up stuck there--which needn't even be shown during the actual Turok series, just as a premise for appearances of a descendent of Turok later in one of the crossovers or something. Turok could have zillions of adventures there in his own series in the pre-Columbian past, and then at some point (decades or even centuries later--"pre-Columbian" covers a very long time, LOL) in between then and the present day for a team-up with Dr. Spektor, or the future with the others, Turok's tribe (or a remnant of it) winds up in the Lost Land. Heck, that way, if one wanted, one could have classic-style Turok and Andar in the past, and perhaps a descendent or just someone with the same name (or taking the name Turok as a title?) as a more modern dinosaur hunter (a la some of the other re-imaginings over the years) in the present.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I am expecting this--all of this just spun out of a possibility I think would be neat, not something I'm actively campaigning for. I have no idea what Dynamite will do with Turok at all.

According to Grek Pak (in an article in this week's Comic Shop News), Turok is exiled and being hunted by members of his own tribe. He also hints that Turok may be encountering some other humans (by which I would guess he meant Europeans). The article indicates that DE will be sticking pretty closely to the elements of the original Gold Key series, and ignoring whatever tweaks Valiant brought to the character in its 1990s incarnation.

Ah. I wonder if Andar will still be there?