Page 124 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1417

Thread: The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Can't remember Tarzan ever being friendly with bolgani, even though they can understand the mangani language. If anything, the white apes of Barsoom have been characterized as even more savage, mindless and vicious than gorillas (regardless of the fact that Burroughs, in his Tarzan novels, completely mis-characterized gorillas based on what modern behavioral research has now revealed about them; but this is the least of Burroughs' mistakes, including having New World tailed monkeys inhabiting Africa). Burroughs' many sentient races of creatures inhabiting Africa presents an unsolvable puzzle for biologists. To say nothing of how the white apes have been characterized in DE series like Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars (a series that, to be honest, I'd rather forget...) Don't forget that there can be no possible common ancestry between the White Apes of Barsoom and the Mangani of earth. The fact that Burroughs used the word "apes" is pure convenience based on a slight physical resemblance. Parallel evolution occurs on earth when unrelated species evolve similar forms to fill a similar environmental niche. Dolphins and ichthyosaurs share some outward similarities while being completely unrelated evolutionarily. Barsoomian fauna possessing eight or six limbs can only be attributable to common evolutionary ancestors. I can't see Tarzan befriending any White Apes.

The appearance of a White Ape of Barsoom in the Lord of the Jungle series leads me to speculate on the possible historical connection between the ancestors of the Oparians (always assumed to be decendants of colonists from the extinct Atlantean civilization, but maybe not) and the inhabitants of Barsoom during the Fall of Barsoom era. Could they have sent a small colony to earth?

Did they even establish somewhere that the White Apes speak the common language of Oparians, mangani, and bolgani? (I thought Burroughs was stretching things a bit when Tarzan would have conversations with manu the monkey.) If they did, I forgot it. It's kind of difficult to figure out the possible language connection, seeing as how DE doesn't use it. Even though the language is used in ERB's early (now PD) Tarzan novels, the "Ape-English Dictionary" was compiled later, and is still under U.S. copyright law. The mangani language is what I most miss from ERB's novels in DE's Lord of the Jungle comics. DE doesn't even try to use any made-up language at all, but rather a sort of phonetic representation of how the sounds would be perceived by human ears - the indecipherable grunts, growls, squawks and screeches of a dumb beast.

Kreegah!

there was a white ape in the lord of the jungle series... be right back... gonna... go buy every single issue...

okay, now that that is done... Burroughs never established any relation between the White apes adn the Mangani... buuuuut he did have some pellucidarian ape-men speaking the same language... so to me its not too far a stretch of something Burrouhgs would do but I cant be certain :/

as for the rest of the stuff you said... I dont know...
    Let Disney know, that you want to go Back To Barsoom.

Although I think that Tarzan may be a little bit forgiving to the white apes considering that Mars is a hellscape, and I imagine he would assert dominance over one via beating the crap out of it. Remember from white apes of mars Dejah Thoris bested the apes and they more or less... wouldnt harm her afterwards.

I dont know... I just feel like Tarzan would at least TRY to at the very least... understand them... he has an affinity for nature... maybe not befriend them, but try to understand how they act and work... what their society is like...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralok View Post
    I dont know... I just feel like Tarzan would at least TRY to at the very least... understand them... he has an affinity for nature... maybe not befriend them, but try to understand how they act and work... what their society is like...
    Tarzan doesn't tend to spend a lot of time thinking about motivations, he just acts and reacts with primal animal instincts. How many numa and bolgani has he killed? He didn't expend a lot of effort to try to analyze their motivations. The one exception to the 'animal instincts' rule has been in his dealing with humans, since he met Jane, because he's always mindful of what she would think or how she would want him to behave. After D'Arnot, she became his primary guide to dealing with human civilization.

Various people have tried to infer evolutionary connections between Pellucidar, Pal-ul-don, Caspak, Opar, etc. and I think there's something to that theory. But in all of his work, I don't think Burroughs ever implied any connection between Earth, Mars, Venus and the Moon in terms of any evolutionary link. Any similarities of either humanoid races or other indigenous fauna is purely a case of parallel evolution. Therefore while I can see connecting the mangani language to the various lost civilizations and lands on earth, I doubt Burroughs would have the White Apes speaking mangani language. Again, in this case, "apes" is merely an approximate translation, and no link is implied. Imposing a theory of interplanetary transpermia or some common cosmic bioengineering in the distant past, on ERB's work, I feel changes the essential nature of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralok View Post
    ITs better than the first few issues Debora drew that is for certain... but god was this artist never ready to take on full issues of comics... I feel like this art actually really messed up these issues and my enthusiasim for the Machine Men characters.
    Exactly my sentiment!

The art of issues 16 - 19 is some of the worst art I have seen in a comic, I'm sorry but it's true. I coudn't take the story seriously because everything looked so goofy. I understand that Carlos Rafael needed a break so Dynamite had to find an artist to fill in but this is too much.
    Marcio Fiorito, who did issue 15 would have been acceptable.

I will say that Debora has improved. Issues 25 - 30 are better but still I wouldn't call it good.
    You have this comic that has amazing covers but then you open it and the interior art is a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if people were dropping this book.

I will give two thumbs up to Carlos Lopez. I like his coloring

Does she need more time or more assistance? I am not an artist (the only thing I can draw is flies--and I shower daily) but I felt the art looked rushed. The story was good but the art was distracting.

I am in awe of the Jay Anacleto covers on this title and the DT & GMOM title!! I have instructed my local comic book shop to pull only the Anacleto covers and the Jusko covers for my DE Mars comics.

Default Dejah Thoris and the Green Men of Mars #7

The story is picking up! I like the metaphor of racism woven into the story. Mark Rahner and Lui Antonio are building a great tension in the politics of Barsoom. I do feel somewhat cheated that the scenes with John Carter and Dejah Thoris at the wedding and the surrounding characters were toned down colorwise to focus on the two main characters. Barsoom should be colorful and busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    The story is picking up! I like the metaphor of racism woven into the story. Mark Rahner and Lui Antonio are building a great tension in the politics of Barsoom. I do feel somewhat cheated that the scenes with John Carter and Dejah Thoris at the wedding and the surrounding characters were toned down colorwise to focus on the two main characters. Barsoom should be colorful and busy.
    Although I am not a huge fan of the way these comics are colored, I will give poitns for originality!

The series is definitly getting better, every issue since the 5tyh one has been better written in my opinion and certainly makes up for a lot of the flaws of the original four issues... not the least of which was that we didnt see to well teh consequences of what Dejah Throris went through... and this extension REALLY HELPED

liked in every way imaginable

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    Does she need more time or more assistance? I am not an artist (the only thing I can draw is flies--and I shower daily) but I felt the art looked rushed. The story was good but the art was distracting.

I am in awe of the Jay Anacleto covers on this title and the DT & GMOM title!! I have instructed my local comic book shop to pull only the Anacleto covers and the Jusko covers for my DE Mars comics.

Absolutely true, I'm thinking of avoiding any and all issues done this artist, the art is either messed up or looks like it was done by a 8 year old.

Well I think there is no reason to panic... I think the next three issues are being done by Carlos Rafael...

they seriously need to find a different artist... but I dont want to see Debora stop making comics... because we... she is getting better, she needs some practice... Dynamite should put her on a less high-profile book I think...