Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: KING'S WATCH is great!

  1. #1

    Default KING'S WATCH is great!

    Finally got around to reading the first two issues and I'm REALLY enjoying this take on the DEFENDERS OF THE EARTH team. I have a few things that I would have preferred...would have preferred it had been a 30's/40's period piece...would have preferred the Flash Gordon in this had been the same Flash Gordon as in ZEITGEIST etc. but those are just personal preferences and did nothing to detract from my enjoyment of the story thus far.

    I'm really enjoying this version of The Phantom, especially. It's classic but with just enough of an edge to keep him from being hokey. Writing is great, art is great...just an all-around great book. Well done!

  2. #2

    Default

    I used the word "enjoy" (or variations thereof) an awfully lot there. Sorry. Best work I could think of to use!

  3. #3

    Default

    Jeff Parker and Marc Laming are putting forth a great series! Yes, I too wanted to see the same DE Flash Gordon in these pages but this reads like a great start up for a team or a series. I wondered when the series started what the King in King's Watch meant. I even dreamed it was a reference to King Arthur (a strong Prince Valiant reference and another Kings Feature adventure strip). As a fan of Defenders of the Earth, I am glad that these three characters and their supporting casts are intact (one of my complaints of the old cartoon is that there was no Dr. Zarkov and no Prince Barin; heck, Dale was killed off to be downloaded into a computer mainframe).

    I hope the sales are good and there will be more DE series on this team.

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm thinking it might have something to do with the characters all being owned by King Features Syndicate.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    Jeff Parker and Marc Laming are putting forth a great series! Yes, I too wanted to see the same DE Flash Gordon in these pages but this reads like a great start up for a team or a series. I wondered when the series started what the King in King's Watch meant. I even dreamed it was a reference to King Arthur (a strong Prince Valiant reference and another Kings Feature adventure strip). As a fan of Defenders of the Earth, I am glad that these three characters and their supporting casts are intact (one of my complaints of the old cartoon is that there was no Dr. Zarkov and no Prince Barin; heck, Dale was killed off to be downloaded into a computer mainframe).

    I hope the sales are good and there will be more DE series on this team.
    I always thought that Prince Valiant (being the next well-known) would make a good addition to a superteam of King Features adventure heroes. He could be awakened in the present time from a 'sleeping spell' cast by an evil wizard (or frozen in an iceberg, but that may already have been done... ) Give him some minor advantages like Merlin making his skin impervious to weapons and/or an enchanted 'singing sword', or something like that... Of course he would have lost his family and his kingdom, which would give him an element of tragedy as well, but being a hero, he must soldier on. If the Avengers can have a Norse God on their team, I say why not? The nice thing about all these characters is that they are all, in their own way, 'proto-superheroes', yet they represent an eclectic range of character types that gives them a nice amount of variety as a team.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    I always thought that Prince Valiant (being the next well-known) would make a good addition to a superteam of King Features adventure heroes. He could be awakened in the present time from a 'sleeping spell' cast by an evil wizard (or frozen in an iceberg, but that may already have been done... ) Give him some minor advantages like Merlin making his skin impervious to weapons and/or an enchanted 'singing sword', or something like that... Of course he would have lost his family and his kingdom, which would give him an element of tragedy as well, but being a hero, he must soldier on. If the Avengers can have a Norse God on their team, I say why not? The nice thing about all these characters is that they are all, in their own way, 'proto-superheroes', yet they represent an eclectic range of character types that gives them a nice amount of variety as a team.
    The idea has merit but Prince Valiant is pretty much established as a Dark Ages character,he still has lots of adventures there to do. Besides what's poor Aleta going to do?

    ta

    Ralph

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    The idea has merit but Prince Valiant is pretty much established as a Dark Ages character,he still has lots of adventures there to do. Besides what's poor Aleta going to do?
    Ah, this is comic books, Ralph. Let's just say that somehow or other (to be decided) he gets stuck in the present due to some kind of magical time warp (or maybe Ming has a 'time ray'). But of course Mandrake won't rest until he searches his thousand-volume library of ancient mystic tomes for just the proper spell to return him to his proper place in time. Of course, it could take a while, but in the meantime he could lend a hand to the other four heroes just so he doesn't go nutty sitting around on his hands.

    Or maybe its some kind of weird reincarnation thingy where some 100th generation descendant is temporarily possessed by the spirit and consciousness of his ancient ancestor. Maybe Mandrake summons Val's shade back to the mortal plane because he needs some specific knowledge that only Val would know, and to do it he needs to use his distant descendant as a conduit, but then the modern descendant is mortally wounded and to save his life Val's spirit must merge with his.

    Or maybe his spirit was imprisoned in the Singing Sword by an evil wizard at the end of a full lifetime of adventure, and Mandrake discovers the ancient sword and releases it. Or any one of a dozen other comic book type plots. The means don't matter so much, just as long as we get him here. You've probably been reading comics long enough that you can think up three or four of your own plot devices. Sure, they all sound cliche' when just flatly stated like this, but a decent writer could still make it work anyway. There really aren't any new plots anyway, just recycled and recombined ones; at best you put a slightly fresh spin on it.

    I have to admit having Mandrake around makes these plot devices a lot easier to dream up than if I had to figure a way to do it with just Flash or The Phantom. Maybe an experimental time portal invented by Zarkov?
    Last edited by pulphero; 10-25-2013 at 06:13 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    Ah, this is comic books, Ralph. Let's just say that somehow or other (to be decided) he gets stuck in the present due to some kind of magical time warp (or maybe Ming has a 'time ray'). But of course Mandrake won't rest until he searches his thousand-volume library of ancient mystic tomes for just the proper spell to return him to his proper place in time. Of course, it could take a while, but in the meantime he could lend a hand to the other four heroes just so he doesn't go nutty sitting around on his hands.

    Or maybe its some kind of weird reincarnation thingy where some 100th generation descendant is temporarily possessed by the spirit and consciousness of his ancient ancestor. Maybe Mandrake summons Val's shade back to the mortal plane because he needs some specific knowledge that only Val would know, and to do it he needs to use his distant descendant as a conduit, but then the modern descendant is mortally wounded and to save his life Val's spirit must merge with his.

    Or maybe his spirit was imprisoned in the Singing Sword by an evil wizard at the end of a full lifetime of adventure, and Mandrake discovers the ancient sword and releases it. Or any one of a dozen other comic book type plots. The means don't matter so much, just as long as we get him here. You've probably been reading comics long enough that you can think up three or four of your own plot devices. Sure, they all sound cliche' when just flatly stated like this, but a decent writer could still make it work anyway. There really aren't any new plots anyway, just recycled and recombined ones; at best you put a slightly fresh spin on it.

    I have to admit having Mandrake around makes these plot devices a lot easier to dream up than if I had to figure a way to do it with just Flash or The Phantom. Maybe an experimental time portal invented by Zarkov?


    I do not want Mandrake to be too powerful. It is the same problem I have with Zatanna or the Spectre, where is the limit? In a way, I was hoping that Mandrake would just have mass-illusion/hypnotic powers, powerful in itself but not a do anything magic power.

    Since this version has Mandrake using true magic, why not bring back Prince Valiant to the present day? Maybe his mystic armor and Singing Sword can withstand bullets and other stuff--ala Shining Knight.

    How about guest appearances from Jungle Jim, Brick Bradford, Buzz Sawyer, Johnny Hazzard, Secret Agent X-9, Rip Kirby, and others?
    Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 10-25-2013 at 07:31 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    Since this version has Mandrake using true magic, why not bring back Prince Valiant to the present day? Maybe his mystic armor and Singing Sword can withstand bullets and other stuff--ala Shining Knight.

    How about guest appearances from Jungle Jim, Brick Bradford, Buzz Sawyer, Johnny Hazzard, Secret Agent X-9, Rip Kirby, and others?
    Because I'm sceptical Prince Valiant would work in a modern setting. However, as this is really a modern update of the old Defenders of the Earth TV show, how about bringing back Jedda Walker and L.J? I liked those two especially the plucky Jedda.

    ta

    Ralph

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    Because I'm sceptical Prince Valiant would work in a modern setting. However, as this is really a modern update of the old Defenders of the Earth TV show, how about bringing back Jedda Walker and L.J? I liked those two especially the plucky Jedda.

    ta

    Ralph
    "Status unknown" regarding Jedda Walker, Rick Gordon, Kshin and LJ. Defenders of the Earth was a co-production of Marvel Animation and Hearst Entertainment (with the actual animation being done by Japanese studio Sunbow). As such, it's entirely possible those characters are Marvel-specific, like the non-toy characters created for Micronauts and ROM (which Marvel still uses, though they've lost those licenses). Or possibly co-owned by Hearst and Marvel. We could also assume there's a reason Dynamite isn't calling this team "Defenders of the Earth".
    Last edited by pulphero; 10-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •